News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

no spark need help... thanks

Started by bricklayer, September 01, 2010, 06:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bricklayer

I now have no spark out of coil, my engine ran fine then i was hooking all the under  dash wiring and i had turn signal bulbs mixsed up and the dash lights didn't work so i took the cluster back out unhooked all the wires again no big deal i wil just start again so when i tried to start car back up i turned the key and nonthing didn't even crank so i jumped at starter relay and it cranked fine pulled coil wire off at  dist. and when i cranked it i had no spark i meen all i did was try to hook up all the dash and cluster wiring and un hooked again did i fry somethig when i tried hooking wires up i just don't .i have an electronic mopar performance elec. ignition, what does the ballastor resitior/voltage regulator /orange ecu box have to do with spark i must be missing something simple i hope. if i  have no spark i know it could be a lot of things but if i fried something what would i look for thanks  tom 69 383 90% restored

flyinlow

Cranking the engine by jumping the starter relay will not energize the ignition on a stock Mopar.

I would think you have not gotten the cluster wirring back together correctly.

The ballast resistor limits current durring normal run ignition to prevent coil over heat.

The voltage regulator has no DIRECT CONNECTION to the ignition system except as a sorce of 12VDC. (blue wire).

The ECU along with the magnetic pick-up and reluctor in the distributor take the place of the points and condenser in a conventional ignition system. Except for the pick up ,these items and not that delicate.

With the ignition on check for power at the balast resistor and coil.

bricklayer

I figured it out over the week end, the two wires that go to charging meter i the cluster were not touching now it cranks and i have spark  hanks  tom