News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is your favorite year 2nd generation Charger (and why?)

Started by Dans 68, December 23, 2005, 05:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which year "2nd Gen" Charger is your favorite?

77 (44.8%)
51 (29.7%)
44 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 172

Chris G.

Quote from: Troy on December 23, 2005, 11:56:45 PM
1968 of course! They put a GTO grill on them in 1969 and then smashed it into a wall to restyle it for 1970. I suppose they must have ran out of the coolest taillights ever sometime around the end of the 68 model year too. :D :thumbs:

Troy

Damn, a Pontiac? That's cold dude. ;)

'68 had the most sales, probably due to the new design.

'69 Morphed into the most popular Charger of all time due to the Dukes. Daytona's and 500's shouldn't be in the mix when comparing the three years. They were their own separate part of history.

'70 Chargers were down in sales, mostly because of the all new E-Bodies. They are easily the most valuable of the 3. You could probably buy 2 68/69 Hemi Chargers for the price of one '70 Hemi Charger....That's a fact.

ps- Round taillights are for the 50's Troy.   :icon_smile_wink:

Ghoste

1969.  It's a very cliched choice today but in 1976 I was 14 years old and hormones kicking into high gear when I saw one go rumbling by and when I saw that long taillight come on, I was hooked.  I've loved them ever since.
Yes I own a 67, leave me alone okay?

sean68charger

68 are my favorite, because i own one and the grille and taillights look so damn nasty!! :icon_smile_evil:
68 Charger 440 R/T<br />Burnout Bandit!!!

WM23N1

My fav 2nd gen is the 69 R/T. More refined than 68 and not a lot of flashy decorations like in 70. Not that anything is wrong with a 68 or a 70. Just my preference.
1971 Super Bee 383 "The WM23N1" http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

Brock Samson

:wave: Cause I think so,..
   after closer examination  :scope:  I like the boxes within boxes,.. it helps with the flow,..  :smilielol:

70charginglizard

68....why....because I don't have one and it's where my pasion for chargers began. Use to walk by one on my way to school everyday and the desire grew from there.

Still very happy with my 70 though. It has it's own place in my heart. 
70charginglizard

hydroforce

I like the options of the 70- but LOVE the 68's cuz of the GRILL

'68 CHARGER -'05 RUMBLE BEE 4X4 -'05 RAM 2500 Deisel  -'94 GMC VAN 4X4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2191750/1 -'68 CHARGER
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2190250 '05 RUMBLE BEE

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on December 23, 2005, 08:19:33 PM
Of course 1970 is the best!
Here are just a few reasons why it bumps the others      :bump:

Pistol Grip Shifters   (nuff said)
High Back Bucket Seats   (sweet)
Six Pack Options!   (Shazaaam!)
High Impact Colors   (yep)
Gator Grain Tops   (cooool)
Hood Call Outs!   (Can ya hear that?)
Locking Steering (key in) Column   (safe ,secure & modern)
Lowest production numbers (oh yeaaaaah!)
Buddy Seats,Electric headlight doors,etc,etc,etc. and the list goes on!

Plus they just look mean!   :yesnod:

EXACTLY!  :yesnod:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Blusmbl

'68.  When I bought mine I was looking for either a '69 or a '68.  Ended up with the '68, and grown to love it more and more with each passing year. :D

I don't care for the highback seats, locking column, or most any of the high impact colors on a Charger.  The electric light doors are a definite bonus, though... I keep thinking about retrofitting my '68 with them.  And I don't like the chrome hoop grill on the '70, either.

Honestly there's nothing I DON'T like about the '68.  Except maybe that half of 'em made were 66-1 bland green.  :icon_smile_dead:
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

jaak

two answers.....

1- 1969 Charger 500.....my dream car

2- 1968 models... I personally dig the round side markers and tail lites  :)

Now I guess an appropiate answer is a 68/ 500 clone (if they made one), thats what I thought might be cool for my next project, I've always wanted a 500, if you used a 68 to clone one 1, it would have the cool tail lites/ side markers and 2, thats like making a clone and not passing it off as real (any mopar guy looks at it and thinks wait.... there isn't any 68 500, and 3 you can build/drive it the way you want :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Details, details.  I never cared for the 70's as much because of the front bumper, the key in the column (I like the old key in the dash), the round radio knobs (I like the thumbwheel), and the flip down glovebox door (I like the other way).
The 68 never did it for me because I liked the divider in the 69 grille and I never cared for the round taillights.

joedotts

ive gotta go with the 69. i first fell in love with the general lee when i was about 10. the 68 is a close second. 70s dont do it for me... im not a fan of the grille at all, and the doors with those scoops or whatever, and i like the tail lights on the 69s much better than 70

Troy

Quote from: Spike on December 24, 2005, 09:55:30 AM
Quote from: Troy on December 23, 2005, 11:56:45 PM
1968 of course! They put a GTO grill on them in 1969 and then smashed it into a wall to restyle it for 1970. I suppose they must have ran out of the coolest taillights ever sometime around the end of the 68 model year too. :D :thumbs:

Troy

ouch!!! The best part about the 70 loop bumper is that you can lean over the front end of your car and not worry about your grill gettting cracked or damaged.
Good point. It probably doesn't matter much if your car always runs good though. I solved that problem by putting my grills on the other side of the garage.  :-\

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dodge Don

70 all the way.......all the best options, more HP options and rarer too boot.

If I had to pick a second fave it would be the 71 R/T hands down followed by a 66 or 67 Charger.

Andrew

69fuchs

Although I love all three the same, (kind of like your own kids)  I think the 69 is the best looking, 68 is a very close second, (the round side markers are great)  and the 70 had the most gadget appeal.

I believe that if the grille/bumper design would have stayed the same for 1970 as it was in 68-69, the 70 would have been the best seller.  Six packs, pistol grips, wild paint schemes and gator grains are pure brilliance....The 70 SHOULD  have had the ramcharger pop up scoop though.

chargervert

I like the 70 the best.I love the high back bucket seats,the pistol grip shifter,the door scoops,the 15 inch rallye wheels,and mine has a go wing,and painted racing mirrors!I have owned about 50 second generation Chargers,and have had many of all three years,but the 70 is my personal favorite!

Beep Beep Dave

I like them all, each has its own 'lil quirks. I like how they changed cars every year like that "back in the day". Today everything looks the same and lacks the character of the old cars!
The one dislike I have of the 70's is the tail light panel...how cheap looking is that! I really wish they would have left that alone and carrried it over from '69.
To me it would all depend on the car in question, options, drivetrain and colour combo...I could probably have 25 1968 to 1970 Chargers and still stumble upon one that I would love to have....
If I could only have 1 it would be an F6 with white stripe and gut Daytona!!!

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

janimm

My favorite is -68. ( I like all 3, and would take one anytime...  :) )

- Front end is clean and simple, looks very good. I Don't like -69 center piece, makes car look narrower. -70 is better, but not as good as -68
- Side markers. Round ones just look right with Charger body lines. Rectangular ones look somehow out of place.
- Tail Lights. -68 round tail lights are the best looking ones ever. -69.-70 are ok, but not as good. Maybe for the same reason as side markers.
- I've read somewhere (not sure if this is true) Bill Brownlie to say that: "68 Charger is a Charger at its purest.". True or not, I dunno, but I agree!

six-tee-nine

The 68.....why???

The front grill without the middel part (like the 69) maes it my favourite.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Doc74

Hmmm a mix between a 68 and 69 would be perfect.
Never cared much for the loop bumper and interior the 70 has, nothing wrong with the body though  :icon_smile_big:
69 would be my first pick, not because I have one, I had the 68 longer anyways, but I never learned to love the 68 corvette type taillights.
It does however have the coolest grill, altough I do like the split grill too. I like the seat pattern of the 68 more but I'd want the 69 headrests.
So a 69 with a 68 grill with 68 buckets and 69 headrests...I think I saw that one on ebay......

firefighter3931

Nothing is BADDER than a triple black 68 Hemi Charger. Luv those round tail lights & markers.    :devil:  A 70 6-pack Plum R/T is a close second though.  :drool5:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

daves68

It has to be a 1968 - 'cause I have one.   Bought it in 1971 on the day I graduated from HS, used it for a daily until 74.   It sat in a barn for quite a while, now it's scattered around the garage and basement being totally redone. My first car, and the best in my opinion. Still like 'em all though!