News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It used to be a 69 daytona

Started by nascarxx29, September 25, 2010, 07:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary42

This build at the very least will be something to watch. Although I have to agree with some of the "senior" members, who surely know more then I do, hanging the fender tag on the wall, keeping the dealer info, and selling what is left would probably be your best bet by far. "Rebody?" Is it any different then some of the cars sold today? Some of the "basket" cases I've seen sell on e-bag have turned out to be pretty nice cars. Doesn't it make you wonder what it took to put some of those cars back to "road worthy" condition. If the car has all its important "stamped" parts to it, truly does it make it any different then some of the others out there passed off to be "original?" I know I'm going to hear allot of flack over this, but I was trying to keep an open mind when it comes to "saving" another piece of American muscle technology. I will agree with on statement on here though, if you sold all what you are selling and then buy Troy's car, I sincerely think you be be happier and more content with a car you "know" is solid and real......just my  :Twocents: i guess. Good luck in which ever direction you decide to go, can't wait to see what happens next.
1972 Dodge Charger, Rally edition
2010 Dodge Challenger, Rally package
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

- Mark Twain

Ghoste

Yes, it does make it very different, if the car is that far gone then its dead.  Sorry but I just don't believe in rebodying.

Ghoste

And I should be clear that where I stand on a lot of other cars that are "original" as you say, is that they aren't original, they're clones.  They took the DNA of the donor car and added it to a different embryo.
Cars that LOOK like something they aren't, such as a 318 car made to look in every way but number like an RT is a replica.  Cars that take the numbers and then PRETEND to be the original car when they are really something else are clones.

Gary42

I"ll be honest with you, I feel the same way you do, but here in lies the problem. Why then does it seem to be ok, if you see a car on e-bag or even on here, have more then half of its "original" parts missing be passed off as "original?" I know there have to be cars out there that "claim" to be original, but have been re-bodied. I have seen some cars that have been mostly stripped of its original pats go for a bit because someone says its original and finished it will be worth considerably more. I guess they just have not gotten caught or for some reason someone turns the other cheek as they say, and claim to have seen nothing or know anything about it. What do you do to actually find/know if someone has done this? I'm just asking because I truly would be one of those who might fall for a scam like that.

- Mark Twain

Ghoste

Simple.  It's not.  A lot of so called original cars just aren't.

Gary42

Ok, I know in some states its illegal to even consider the re-body concept, then how in the heck can they do this and get away with it? What would you do if you found out it had been a re-body deal? Would you post it on here, report it, or what steps would you take to correct what has been done? My guess is that if by chance someone found out that it had been re-bodied, they would say nothing because they would potentially loose allot of money they just invested. Do you place it back for sale and say nothing, or do you do the right thing and report it? I curious because I wonder how many people know of this and turned around and resold what they know is to be false.... :shruggy:

- Mark Twain

Ghoste

Technically its illegal in all states and Canada too.  You aren't allowed to transer a VIN to another vehicle.

JB400

You'd have to have some title history done to verify if it's original or a chop shop ordeal.  Ghoste is right and wrong.  It is illegal to switch vins, unless you are licensed as a rebuilder.  If you are, than you can take something like one of these derelict Daytonas and swap the numbers over to another rebuildable chassis.  But there is a lot of paperwork that has to be done.  I know a guy outside of my town that has a wrecker service.  When the car becomes his legally, he'll rebody the car if he has the parts.

Ghoste

Thats the first I've ever heard of that but even if its true it doesn't change my opinion.  A rebody is a clone.

Gary42

Thanks for the knowledge on the vin's, but no one answered my question: what happens if you find out that their purchase you just acquired in infact a re-body deal. Do you tell, or put it back up for sale and hope to get your money back out of it before someone finds out?

The only problem I have about any of this is this: what happens today and back in the day when a car was wrecked beyond let's say 1/2. In most cases the insurance company makes every effort to repair your car "before" they will consider it a total loss right. So, if half or more then half of the car is destroyed or needing repair, is that not the very samething as a re-body? Just think, back in the day, many body shops fixed cars that were considered dang near a total loss. Replacing everything with OEM parts. So, if by some chance this car ends up with say OEM parts from another good body 69, is that not the same as a body shop repairing the damage after it was in an accident? Just wondering  :shruggy:

- Mark Twain

Gary42

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 21, 2012, 11:20:10 AM
You'd have to have some title history done to verify if it's original or a chop shop ordeal.  Ghoste is right and wrong.  It is illegal to switch vins, unless you are licensed as a rebuilder.  If you are, than you can take something like one of these derelict Daytonas and swap the numbers over to another rebuildable chassis.  But there is a lot of paperwork that has to be done.  I know a guy outside of my town that has a wrecker service.  When the car becomes his legally, he'll rebody the car if he has the parts.

If this is true, what then do you call this car? Clone? Original? I don't know, maybe someone can give light on this subject because I'd truly like to know  :popcrn:

- Mark Twain

Ghoste

The insurance company will right it off whenever the repairs exceed the value, so back in the day on a 3 or 4 year old used 69 Charger you can bet your ass they wrote it off.  As for the other part of your question, well thats the million dollar question that pervades the entire hobby isn't it?

Ghoste

To me, and this is only one persons opinion, if you swap the numbers over onto another body, its a clone.  As for what percentage of car can you replace before its a clone in my books?  I don't know.  I call it as I see it, there is no hard rulebook anywhere.  I doubt there is even an accepted hobby norm.  I say the alleged XP Hemi that Chop Cut Rebuild did is a rebody which makes it a clone in my books.  They insist vehemently that its a restoration.  You have to decide for yourself I guess?

Gary42

Quote from: Ghoste on September 21, 2012, 01:41:22 PM
The insurance company will right it off whenever the repairs exceed the value, so back in the day on a 3 or 4 year old used 69 Charger you can bet your ass they wrote it off.  As for the other part of your question, well that's the million dollar question that pervades the entire hobby isn't it?

Yea I guess it is because I was curious as to how many of these re-body 68-70 Chargers actually get passed around, and no one does a single thing about it. I guess since they spent the money they did, a loss to them is unacceptable  :2thumbs:. Not sure if faced with that type of situation what I would do. Hopefully I wouldn't have too much invested before I found out I guess.

- Mark Twain

Indygenerallee

Rebody leads to multiple lies and falacies, and the future buyer is the one that get's screwed. There is no place for rebodies in my book, It is illegal to swap a VIN plate from one car to another bar none, I owned a Towing service and I know a few guys that did this and are in prison now!! (Jeeps and Mustangs) Rebuilder or not it is illegal 100%
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

And knowing ahead of time wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying a particular car but it would certainly influence what I was willing to pay (which is why people hide the fact).

JB400

And knowing ahead of time wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying a particular car but it would certainly influence what I was willing to pay (which is why people hide the fact). :iagree:

Gary42

Quote from: Ghoste on September 21, 2012, 01:51:56 PM
And knowing ahead of time wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying a particular car but it would certainly influence what I was willing to pay (which is why people hide the fact).

:2thumbs: Is this the car you are talking about? What do some people think of the (restoration/re-body)?

- Mark Twain

JB400

I'd have to call that one a restoration. Yes, they replaced all the skins, floor, trunk, front stub, and what not, but that car KEPT its' factory identity.   No numbers were took off another car to make this car the XP hemi.  It's taking the numbers off say a hemi car and putting them on a /6 car and calling that car a hemi car is what we're are talking about.

Ghoste

I'd have to go back and re-read the thread but there was such an insignificant amount of the original car left that I can't see it as a restoration.  To me personally that one is a clone or a recreation.  Its all semantics and if you ask 50 people you'll likely get 50 varying opinions. :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: Gary42 on September 21, 2012, 01:54:01 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 21, 2012, 01:51:56 PM

:2thumbs: Is this the car you are talking about? What do some people think of the (restoration/re-body)?
its a re-body

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Indygenerallee

That car is not a rebody, glad they did it the right way!!  :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.