News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It used to be a 69 daytona

Started by nascarxx29, September 25, 2010, 07:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainbow4jd

Quote from: held1823 on September 23, 2012, 02:47:05 PM
Quote from: rainbow4jd on September 23, 2012, 01:55:18 PM

There is no such legal distinction as "rebodied" - and I don't intend to get into that debate - its legal distinction is solely based on its "title".

the linked article from post #159 earlier today seems to contradict this statement. some vehicle titles are indeed marked as a rebody, if the information presented in that autoblog story is accurate. if this daytona was being resurrected under those title stipulations, would someone still spend the time and money to build it? likely not, but obtaining a clear title changes the entire game, both legally and financially. those in the know concerning the car's history might not be affected, but the rest of the 99.99% would be at risk. look no further than the "documented" bobby allison contraption that mecum paraded across the auction block not so long ago, for evidence of what misinformation can do.

regulations, such as that apparently introduced in oklahoma, could go a long way towards preventing collector car fraud. leaving destroyed collector cars in the junk yard could do so, as well.

Looks like Oklahoma created that title category on 11.1.2011 - I haven't worked any court cases their recently.   However, I have attached a .pdf file of the actual title guidelines.   It specifically refers to a "new" rebody available from the OEM manufacturer.  It doesn't seem to apply in the context of our discusion on giving new life to trash heap cars.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/vin_memos/vin2011/11vin31.pdf

rainbow4jd

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/25/511

This is US code on VIN alterations - the key components are the "exceptions" which deal with restorations and repairs. ergo 100% restoration is possible IF you have a clear title.

held1823

thanks for the links. the legal-speak can be a challenge to decipher, but it provides some explanation of the nuances behind the terminology applied to junk/salvage/rebuilt/rebodied titles. i wonder how many other states will come up with their own individualized way of dealing with oklahoma rebodied titles, or even institute rebodied vehicle title requirements of their own. an already messy subject could quickly turn into a inescapable quagmire for a buyer, should one of these questionable vehicles change hands across state lines.

on a side note, a thread regarding a high profile (and high dollar) rebodied car has recently taken wing on another site. it promises to be highly entertaining, and perhaps even educational. a reference to this daytona has even been tossed into the mix.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7391702&an=0&page=0#Post7391702
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Gary42

So much information/opinions and so many dang regulations on here, lol. Here is what I see coming out of all these postings on here. If the new owner obtains a "clear title," follows "all" state and federal regulations on "re-body/restoration" procedures. Documents all that has been done/replaced, followed with precise pictures, and knows how much this "resurrection/re-body" is going to cost (I believe he does because he mentioned being around $100k): then go for it. It is better to see something that "was" back on the road, then to see something that will "never" be again left in a pile to rust into oblivion. I'd say, if you have it to spend and do it right, "go for it!" Heck you cannot possibly take it with you when you die, so do what ever makes you feel good in the "here and now!"

Hopefully he does what many are asking, and this is to obtain another vin tag with "re-body" stamped on it and place it right next to the "original" vin tag. Pray that what is seen and discussed here will "forever" follow this car no matter where/how it ends up, that way it will "never" have the stigma/question as to where it came from and how it got here. I admire someone who is willing to go the distance, no matter who or what anyone else thinks. Have to admit, and some of us should, I would probably think hard as to which direction I wanted to go with this car: it "IS/WAS" a "real Daytona" at one point, to own a piece of American muscle car history (being restored/re-bodied) is something most of us on here dream about.

From what Larry says about Troy's car, YES, if I ever decided to use the equity in my home to buy a turn key Daytona, it would be his. Some of us get "lucky" at the very least to own a "real" Daytona, and the rest of us have to scrap the bottom of the barrel just to get close enough to imagine even owning a pile of scrap and paperwork once called a "Daytona!" So just keep in mind this littel thought: What would you truly do if the resources/material were available to put this car back to its glory day stature? Sry for being long winded, but its just my  :Twocents: I guess.
1972 Dodge Charger, Rally edition
2010 Dodge Challenger, Rally package
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

- Mark Twain

Arnie Cunningham

The original Gone In 60 Seconds movie gives a very good account of why VIN transfer laws exist, i.e. what they were born out of.
They exist to prevent the disguising of a stolen vehicle.  Thieves buy a wrecked carcass at auction for scrap prices.  Then they go
out and find a complete identical/similar car on the street and steal it.  Next they take the VIN information from the scrapped car and transfer it to
the stolen car and sell the stolen car using the wrecked car's VIN.

These laws were never intended to prevent someone from putting a staggering amount of time and money into the rebuilding of a car.  The "spirit"
of the law (its intent) is a factor in the legal world.  I doubt you would find many courts that would prosecute VIN transfer statutes against someone
restoring a car because those statutes were never intended to prevent VIN transfer in the case of rebuilding.

I doubt this because of personal experience with the act.  I worked in a wrecking yard for several summers.  The owner would buy totally rotten, rusted
beyond belief one ton pick ups out of Wisconsin.  He would haul them back to North Dakota and we would put decent cabs on them and resell them as
chassis/cab work trucks.  Some of the frames had VINs stamped in them so this was technically a VIN transfer.  No one cared.  The seller of the rotten
truck didn't care.  The wrecking yard owner didn't care.  The buyer didn't care - he just wanted a decent work truck for a good price (one tons were hard
to find around the area).  The ND DOT didn't care because they receive license fees for another vehicle.  The Highway Patrol didn't care because this
was a legally licensed vehicle.  DOT didn't even care about the weight rating of the truck because it was licensed according to the weight of use - the GCVWR.
There was no stolen vehicle being disguised and that is why no one cared.

The real issue that many have with this level of rebuilding is not the rebuilding itself - it is the potential for misrepresentation in the future.  There is only one
defense against this - documentation/archiving of data and making it available for everyone.  It is up to the buyer to educate themselves on vehicle they intend
to purchase.  All we can do is provide information.

Brennan R. Cook

Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Arnie Cunningham

If anyone rents the movie, it looks like they take a 69 motor out of a wrecked challenger?  Not sure what was going on there lol.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Ghoste

I'll have to watch it again on the weekend now and see if I spot that. ;D

JB400

It's been a while since I watched it, but if memory serves me, they pulled the motor out of one wrecked Challenger, and put it in the stolen Challenger.  The owner of the stolen Challenger recognized his car and so they towed it off and crushed it. :icon_smile_dissapprove: :bawling:

Gary42

I totally agree with Arnie  :yesnod:, and yes (sry for saying it this way) the "thieves/person/person's" responsible for stealing someone else's possessions for profit/glory, or whatever: should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I have seen in the past week a car posted here and on Moparts stolen from an individuals home. If by some chance someone finds/uses any part of that stolen vehicle (for profit/personal interest), should also be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law with the actual perpetrators.

There is not a single reason for one person/s to steal from another, no matter what the reason is. Its a shame that I have read on that post that the car in question could/may end up in some foreign country, be it in pieces or whole, and there's not a thing that the previous owner can do, most often, because the "expense" incurred of legal fees. That truly makes me sick to my stomach, and I sincerely feel that the laws surrounding the export of items which are deemed "stolen" should be returned at the shippers expense without question. If he/she fails to return the items and refuses to pay the rightful owner fair market value for said items, then they too should be prosecuted because they are "supposed" to check what they are shipping to be "free from theft." More-often-then-not all that happens is a slap on the wrist and a "scolding." What the heck  :brickwall:. Just my  :Twocents: I guess.
1972 Dodge Charger, Rally edition
2010 Dodge Challenger, Rally package
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

- Mark Twain

Benji

Nwcharger

i got the car paid off. all that remains is the shipping cost from new foundland canada to Vancouver b.c. witch should be around 1300.00. ill have the tags and documents hopefully next week. i cant wait!!
1969 coronet wagon

JB400

Nwcharger

I got the tags and documents in the mail today. :icon_smile_big: Talk about fast shipping, 4600 miles in 2 days. Now I just need the get the carcass and number matching block.
1969 coronet wagon

djcarguy

:cheers: :cheers: :drool5: :popcrn: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND LOOKING FOR UPDATES AND GOOD NEWS,,,SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TOO IN THE NEW YEAR..  :2thumbs: :cheers:

WELL SURE HOPE THE NEW YEAR GETS HERE SOON AND IS WELL WORTH WAITTING FOR,,,,HO HO HO :cheers:

RallyeMike

Question: What's the difference between welding what little is left of this car into a solid donor or aftermarket sheet metal vs. taking donor car parts and aftermarker sheet metal and welding it around what's little left of this car?

Answer: Nothing but a lot more work and expense.

This Daytona is gone. There isnt enough left of it to say it is an orginal Daytona no matter how it is assembled from here forward. That said, I admire the will/insanity to bring it back, and look forward to seeing it completed some day. It will be quite a story.

Please post up some pics for us when the rust heap is broomed off the trailer into your driveway!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Nwcharger on October 11, 2012, 01:16:18 PM
i got the car paid off. all that remains is the shipping cost from new foundland canada to Vancouver b.c. witch should be around 1300.00. ill have the tags and documents hopefully next week. i cant wait!!

If you're dragging it through Vancouver, I wouldn't mind checking it out :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Nwcharger

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 24, 2012, 12:12:14 PM
Quote from: Nwcharger on October 11, 2012, 01:16:18 PM

If you're dragging it through Vancouver, I wouldn't mind checking it out :2thumbs:

sure thing  :2thumbs: it will be early spring im hoping. sooner the better.. here's a picture of it getting loaded to the pallet it will arrive on. theres a few more pieces that are not in that pic like the numbers motor. here's another of the trunk gutter vin and one of the trunk hinges. i picked up a daytona right fender a while ago but still need to have it shipped.  anyone have a nosecone they want to sell??? maybe someone that has a convertable superbird?? :icon_smile_big: or anyone have a window plug with glass would also be great. i was talking with a guy in rhode island that said he had a nosecone and a window plug with glass but was never able to get any pictures or a price from him.  :shruggy: . i was watching that chop cut rebuild on that xp hemi charger and found that pretty cool. did amd make that jig they had the car on or is there a company that makes one? merry Xmas everyone!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
1969 coronet wagon

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Patronus

I'd like to donate a spool of wire for this.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

70Sbird

Quote from: Patronus on December 24, 2012, 10:11:50 PM
I'd like to donate a spool of wire for this.
make that two.....
only about 20 more spools and a bunch of sheetmetal, there will be another Daytona there!

Scott Faulkner

JB400

How much of it is actually salvageable?  That's one heck of a project.  Best of luck. :2thumbs:

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 24, 2012, 11:42:05 PM
How much of it is actually salvageable?  That's one heck of a project.  Best of luck. :2thumbs:

Other than the vin number on the trunk gutter i see nothing. :scratchchin:

JB400

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on December 25, 2012, 01:16:29 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 24, 2012, 11:42:05 PM

Other than the vin number on the trunk gutter i see nothing. :scratchchin:
In all honesty, I agree, but, I'm not there to see it in person to make an actual judgement.  Sometimes, there are surprises.

Ghoste

I would think the photos say it all in this case.  Sometimes there is more but this time the story is fairly evident.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html