News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It used to be a 69 daytona

Started by nascarxx29, September 25, 2010, 07:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

:popcrn:

Stevearino

:popcrn:

qwick68

Hey man it's your car, do what you please, don't listen to the naysayers......
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

65post

Ouch.You have a long road ahead you.Hats off to you if that one hits the road again. Rebuilt - rebodied or whatever you want to call it.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

500Jon

I like to call it a 're-creation'...

It existed before and will again with some of the original sheetmetal.
If AMD start selling 69 Charger bodies, then all the known 69 Chargers, C500's and Daytona's will live again!!! :2thumbs:
Who has the right to tell someone not to rebody their own car, if its known to have serious TINWORM???
Swapping one carbody onto another previous registered carbody is a different matter entirely.

Just look at the burnt 68 GTX on ebay at the moment, recorded as a write-off, but only for insurance purposes.
That's an easy fix for most Folks in the Bodyshop-trade!!! :pity:

Clarification is needed here for all future RE-CREATIONS, are they right or wrong??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

This Daytona will set the standard for the HOBBY methinks! :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

held1823

Quote from: 500Jon on January 04, 2015, 05:23:13 AM

Who has the right to tell someone not to rebody their own car, if its known to have serious TINWORM???
Swapping one carbody onto another previous registered carbody is a different matter entirely.

would you be so kind as to discern the difference between the words "rebody" and "swapping carbodys", solely from your perspective?

i get a visual of brand new, unregistered  car bodies falling like manna from Heaven above.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

500Jon

A rebody is a change over  of all the removable parts onto another bare bodyshell.

I think the real grey(gray) areas are...
If the donor bodyshell is stolen or the Vin is swapped from an 'extinct car' directly onto another complete car, ie to gain value!

Back in the 90's when I bought my Canadian rusty-bucket 1971 GTX there were little or no available new sheetmetal.
The option was to buy a stripped Satelitte/Roadrunner from a rust free state and ship it back to England.
Then start the painstaking job of carefully removing all the panels one spot weld at a time.
What then happens is, the rustfree parts are all better than the GTX ones... so you weld them all back together again LOL!!!
In the end I bought individual pieces as I went along, I reckon I've got six maybe seven cars in ONE GTX, NOW!!!

When I said to Folks 'selling' donor cars what I was doing, they said 'WHY BOTHER' just change the Vin's over?
So I say what's the legality of doing such a thing??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
Other Folks said I was mad and just buy another GTX!!!
Now I know they were RIGHT, 20 years of grief to save one rusty-bucket 1971 GTX!!!

I have found many better 71 Gtx's in those twenty years and I've kicked myself many times.

When it comes to a Daytona, they are still out there, and I now know of three very easily restorable cars!!! :2thumbs:
Would I want the hassle of NW, not really, just buy better Daytona to start with.

ACUDANUT

Any pic's out there of the back end of the "Charger"

Nwcharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 04, 2015, 11:48:53 AM
Any pic's out there of the back end of the "Charger"

All that is left of the rear is the tail panel and trunk gutters and wasted quaters.
1969 coronet wagon

65post

What I like about this REBODY is the owner has put it out there on the WWW for everyone to see.Not like some other people who do it all behind closed doors to fool someone into thinking that it was a rust free car to start with.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

held1823

Quote from: 500Jon on January 04, 2015, 10:27:35 AM

Back in the 90's when I bought my Canadian rusty-bucket 1971 GTX there were little or no available new sheetmetal.
The option was to buy a stripped Satelitte/Roadrunner from a rust free state and ship it back to England.
Then start the painstaking job of carefully removing all the panels one spot weld at a time.
What then happens is, the rustfree parts are all better than the GTX ones... so you weld them all back together again LOL!!!
In the end I bought individual pieces as I went along, I reckon I've got six maybe seven cars in ONE GTX, NOW!!!
When I said to Folks 'selling' donor cars what I was doing, they said 'WHY BOTHER' just change the Vin's over?

no one said, "why not put the GTX stuff on the Satellite body and just leave the VIN alone." ? six or seven cars sacrificed to save one seems a little extreme. what made that one car worth so much effort, if it was that far gone?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

500Jon

Good comment there Ernie,

Over here in England we have an MOT test, (like smog but not emissions though), just Road-worthy-ness...every year without FAIL!!!
My 44 year old Gtx has to have nearly Zero rust issues all working lights, brakes, shocks, suspension rubbers.
Good clear glass, working washers and wipers, perfect steering and seating with modern seatbelts etc.etc. etc...
By all intent a modern roadcar...so when you have a Major RUST problem...its curtains...
Here we have a numbers matching GTX, up and running, driving and a previously restored car... what to do???

SCRAP IT, ie. JUNK IT...was the only option...its beyond economical repair...
She was on her way to the JunkYard when I decided to store her and wait.
I'd seen in Mopar Mags other 71 GTX's with major rust being restored, piece by piece.
Being the only 1971 real GTX in the UK, it seemed the right thing to do?

REBODY her as a clone GTX in a satellite body as a GTX!
Or repair her one panel at a time as a real GTX albeit six/seven other cars LOL!!! :2thumbs:

So what happened to the other six cars, who knows, they're just pieces from Junked, wrecked, rolled, rusted out B-bodies and E-bodies.
As we know, there is plenty of those GEN 3 Chargers rotting away merrily LOL!!! :2thumbs:

Known donor vehicles were..,69,70,71 and 72 Chargers, 70 and 71 Challengers and a 72 Roadrunner, plus an unknown piece or two...

Good thing about 71 B's they share some bits with 70-on E's...

moparsupremist

Ive read most of this post, and signed up to ask........Is anyone out there brave enough to tackle it, or is everyone leaving this car alone?  If Nwcharger has the cash, I'd like to see it come alive.   Im in sacramento, built a lot of mopars over the years and would be interested in tackling it. Not terribly far from you.  We don't play around here and may have the time real soon to tackle it.  Just a buddy of mine and I. You would be surprised at what we can do in 2 months time.  At least be interested in making it a roller again. Maybe more?  I don't like cars sitting around like resto shops do, so when a car comes in, we focus only on that car.  Just a couple of backyard mopar guys with the passion. We've never tackled this bad of a hull, but we've done roofs, quarters, frame rails, floors, etc, just not all at once on the same car.   Message me if your interested.  I for one like that he wants to drive this bad boy.  Only problem I see is if he goes to sell it, and even then , with the history .....and the story, I doubt It hurts it to much.  If your serious about making it happen, lets talk.
I don't pay attention to much to the naysayers.  Its usually people without the know how. Or the high and mighty. Always people with opinions.  Whose to say what you can do with YOUR car? Just tossing it out there.
If not, I for one will watch this post for updates. 
Let the bashing begin..........again!

500Jon

Well said supremist!!!

Most folks like to see resto's where each panel is removed and replaced one piece at a time.
Modern day resto is more of a TOTAL disassembly and reassembly type scenario.
Every panel unwelded and repaired, then all put back together again, pice by piece! :cheers:
It scares the crap outta most people LOL!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

emccomas

There are many opinions on this car, and whether or not it should be restored / rebodied / recreated / resurrected / whatever.

Some makes and marks think this is the kiss of death, others have no issues with it.

I have lost count of the number of rebodied Ferrari's, Shelby Cobra's, Shelby Mustang's, Corvettes, etc.

A 67 Corvette L-88 (one of 20) was rebuilt from the seriously bent up frame, which included the VIN and trim tags, and original drive line.  Not a single fiberglass panel of the car was salvageable.  

The car was restored to show quality condition, went through the judging process, and passed with flying colors.  Everyone knew the story of the car.  It did not change the fact that the particular VIN was an original L-88.

However, that rebody was reflected at sale time.  A nice, unmolested, original 67 L-88 recently changed hands for $3.2 million.  The rebodied car sold for about one third of that, but it is still a 7 figure car.  It will always be a rebodied car.  It will also always be a 67 L-88.  One does not negate the other.

My 2 cents, use as much of the original car as can be saved, don't swap the VIN tag, and bring this big bird back to life.

Honestly, I am more bothered by the fact that the Graveyard Carz guys didn't call the owner back to tell him they would not restore his car.

nascarxx29

GYC said they would build a tribute car AKA replica.But the owner would have to reinstall the numbers part of the build :Twocents:

charger500440

If NWC has $40K in parts, another $25K in labor (assuming he does most of the work himself), another $10K in paint/material, then add the cost of the car. He could conceivably have a complete Daytona, with correct numbers for around $85K. Where are you going to get a Daytona that runs and drives for that money? And perhaps more importantly regarding the "should he or shouldn't he" discussion, do you really believe he couldn't at least get his money back if the car were to be sold?

Personally, I don't believe it would last 2 days with a $100K plus price tag from what I'm seeing in the market...
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

500Jon

As NW has stated, its all being done out in the open!
There are many cars that have been done outta sight!
Most rare car owners are only interested in the end result.

The look on some Folks faces when they see their Million Dollar car at the blasters!!! :smilielol:

They have no conception of a BARE-SHELL being totally rebuilt (by one person) as per the Factory...

ps...these are the good ones LOL!!!

Redbird

This is a guess of what I came up with a while ago for Superbird special pieces. I'm sure most everyone can find the parts cheaper.

Superbird special parts estimate-Really a giant guess

Nose Shell                 $ 12,000   NOS   Big savings on a repro here
Left HL                 $   2,000   NOS
Right HL                 $   2,000   NOS
Z braces                 $   2,000   Used   Not rusted-very hard to find
Grill Screen Frames      $   1,000   Used   Good Luck finding originals, Fake $ 500
Latch Tray                 $   1,000   Used
Latch Tray Bracket      $      100   Fake
Front Turn Signal Brackets   $      100   Fake   Likely never see NOS or used
Front Turn Signals+Housings   $      500   NOS/Used/Repro       Repro lenses  $ 250 + housings
Hood                    $   2,000   Fake
(2) Coronet Fenders      $   1,000   Used
Fender Scoops                   $   1,000   NOS
Side Valances         $   1,500   NOS
Center Valance         $      500   Used
(3) Front Bumper Brackets   $      600   Used
A pillar Chrome         $   1,000   Used

Diamond Pieces         $   1,000   Used
Wing Supports         $   1,500   Used
Wing                    $   2,500   Used
Back Window         $   1,500   Repro
Back Window Plug      $   2,500   NOS
Back Window Chrome      $   1,000   Repro

Front Jack                 $      750   Repro   Much more for used
Front Jack Hold Down      $      250   Used   Can be found

Plus all connectors, Rub Strip, Diaper, Vacuum Can, Trunk Stops, Wiring Harness, Light Switch, Gaskets, shipping etc. $ 2.5K

$ 42,000 +/-       A big +/-    still wouldn't be close to a National 1st place car, too many fake pieces

So this would be plus the cost of parts for the base car.

It is very difficult in terms of time, money, and even finding parts to restore a car. Almost impossible to restore a basket case #5 wing car without making serious compromises that will be quite visible and noticeable later. My 2 cents.

500Jon

Well put RedBird!

Anyone building or rebuilding any Wingcar has the same problem!
You just gotta build it with what you got and what you can afford!
Like Mopar John, you can improve as you go, then someone else gets the 'hand-me-downs'...

Its all about what the car is for?
If you wanna win prizes then you need $100,000.
If you wanna go to the Quikee-Mart, then 50,000 might just do it.............. :smilielol:

held1823

jon, do note that his list and its potential cost is just for the items needed to replace on an existing body.

you're leaving out the expense involved in raising lazarus from the dead just to bolt them on.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Quote from: charger500440 on January 31, 2015, 08:53:26 AM

Personally, I don't believe it would last 2 days with a $100K plus price tag from what I'm seeing in the market...

ahem... did you follow the recent thread on this one? it wasn't too far off from your price point, and could have been driven home.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

500Jon

Hi Held,

Where's the challenge in that car?
All that Daytona needs is GAS!!! :smilielol:

Some Folks like to face the Abyss and not be scared or put off by NAY sayers lol... :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Like the guy who got a free wrecked 69-R/T he ain't scared either??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Any free Wingcars greatly accepted LOL!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

nascarxx29

Was that the previous blue phil jackson hemi daytona .thats back in red in trombinos in vegas