News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repairs Inside the Cowl Area - What is the best way?

Started by 68mmcharger, November 13, 2005, 01:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68mmcharger

What's the best way to repair the area inside the cowl area? You can reach in from below through the 2 fresh air supply holes but can't really get access to locate and repair leaks or clean and prep the area. How have you guys restored this area on your cars?

Troy

Well, the best way is to remove the spot welds holding the upper cowl piece on, make the repairs then reweld the pice back on. That seems like entirely too much work for me so I am fixing mine through the air holes and it will probably take 5 times as long. So, the easy way and the best way might be the same.

Is the "MM" in your name because of the color of your car?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68mmcharger

I was afraid the "best" way would be to pull appart the upper cowl piece. I agree with you that is far too much work. I guess I will be fixing it throught he air holes. Have you found a particular tool that works best?

Yes, the MM is because of the color of my 68.  The white color is epoxy primer from previous owner.

68mmcharger

Here's another pic as purchased. I tried attaching to previous reply but kept getting message that attachment of same name already existed.

Troy

Just wondering on the color because in the old days I never saw anyone on here with one before. Now that I have one there are 4 or 5 other members who also have bronze 68s. I don't think any are finished yet. Mine is still unique... :D

I had to change the setting one posting pics because people kept uploading the same ones and it was really eating up server space. When posting pics you need a unique name for yours. I usually put my initials in front or something like that. All Sony cameras name their pictures with "DSC..." so the odds are good that someone else already uploaded a picture with a name like yours.

I don't have any particular tools but what is it that you need to fix inside the cowl? The paint and body guys should be along sometime and they may have a different solution depending on the problem.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68mmcharger

Thanks for the info on uploading pics. That will make it a lot easier.

I haven't seen many bronze ones around. At the rate I am going yours will be unique for some time.

On the tool question, I was curious if someone had used something specific that fit up in the area and worked good for scraping and cleaning surface rust and how to paint the area.

68mmcharger

Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean the area under the cowl vents?

jaak

In the book "project charger" by Larry Lyles,  He says that after he paints the car, he takes a foam brush taped to a paint stir stick (to make a longer handle) and reaches up through the fresh air ducts and paints the area under cowl screen flat black. I thought I would try this when the time comes. Something to consider anyways. BTW, nice Charger.

Good Luck on your Project,
Jason

Drop Top

68mmcharger

There are small holes rusted around the air vent opening on the drivers side that let water leak in. I guess I can weld these from the bottom. There is also corrosion in other areas. Rust flakes come out the drain areas when you blow air in from the top.

The area below the grill is currently covered in epoxy primer which I wanted to remove and prep the entire area for paint. It will be tough to sand since it is so hard to reach. I was wondering how this area is cleaned, prepped and painted by pros like Drop Top and others.

Drop Top

Its been my experance that if you have rust holes starting that you can see with your eyes. There is more hidding that you can't see. The best and surefire way is to remove the cowl peace then blast and weld as needed. After your done with the repair. Spray all of the inside area with weld through primer and weld it back on. Make sure that you have gotten rid of all the rust before you weld the cowl piece back on and everything inside is coverd with primer. You might want to spray some flat black in the area that can be see through the air intake area. Just incase when you paint your car and not enough over spray gets in there. It wont be as noticable. Plus it will be better protected from the eliments.

68mmcharger

Thanks, Drop Top. Removing the upper cowl piece is the same way that Troy said to fix it. I was hoping for an easier way. Oh well... :(