News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any of the new stuff out there temp you to sell your Charger and go new?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 10, 2010, 07:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Honestly - there are times I get tempted to sell - but it would have to be for something alot more appealing than a new camaro, challenger, etc...    If it was maybe a V8 Vanquish, F430...    something like that....     I'd probably sell...   other than that...     nope
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Long Island RT

1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

SRT-440

I don't have a charger but I wouldn't trade my 70 RR for anything...atleast up to this point. I will say this tho...I really dig the new engines..I'd love to have a 6.1 or 6.4 in my old car.
Dodge is supposed to have some interesting options coming on the Challenger and that might tempt me and the new Z28 is gonna be a beast of a car.

I don't think I'd pass judgement just yet on whether these cars will or won't ever be classics...I think they said the same about our old cars when they were new.

And as far as maintenance goes that can be debated also...so far my '04 SRT4 has 100,000 miles on it and it's never had nothing but the oil changed and air filter changed and still runs in the 13's.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

twodko

Sell my Charger? No way but if I could afford it I'd buy a new Chally SRT to keep my R/T company.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

aussiemuscle

Quote from: NHCharger on October 11, 2010, 05:48:23 PM
Besides our Chargers being the best looking car ever made, another thing I like about them is the lack of handling, lack of braking, lack of safety equipment, lack of the every day amenities in most cars the we take for granted. You actually have to know how to drive a car when you get behind the wheel of a two door charger.
You say that, but i don't believe you. poor handling is a characteristic that it did NOT need to have. If you ever driven a late 60s european car to compare to the dodge suspension and handling you'd know that dodge were putting junk suspension and brakes on them. (they were UNDER braked to what they SHOULD have been, even then).

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: aussiemuscle on October 12, 2010, 06:05:07 PM
Besides our Chargers being the best looking car ever made, another thing I like about them is the lack of handling, lack of braking, lack of safety equipment, lack of the every day amenities in most cars the we take for granted. You actually have to know how to drive a car when you get behind the wheel of a two door charger.
You say that, but i don't believe you. poor handling is a characteristic that it did NOT need to have. If you ever driven a late 60s european car to compare to the dodge suspension and handling you'd know that dodge were putting junk suspension and brakes on them. (they were UNDER braked to what they SHOULD have been, even then).
I have the power disk and think my car stops great.  I slammed on the brakes a couple of times because of deer.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

The late 60's European cars were dealing with a LOT less mass than American cars as well.  I'd also offer that rather than Mopars being underbraked that European cars were underpowered by comparison.  Oh I realize that now there will be countless examples of Ferarrir supercars offered to demonstrate the amazing superiority of European car crafting in 1969 but if you compare the actual cars that most were driving the peformance is less exciting. 
Since I'm being argumentative, I'll also throw out there that we slam the Mopar discs today but that back in 1969 even the Chrysler drum brakes were adequate for the time.  Repeated panic stops brought fade that discs didn't have but for normal real life driving the Mopar drum brake was cheap, reliable, and adequate given the tires and driving conditions of typical 1969.  On todays crowded streets and with modern radials they may not compare to modern cars but compared to the other cars of their day I think they stood up. 
If you still think the Mopars are bad, try a GTO with coil springs and 9 inch drums.
But I think you really have to compare them in cointext.

elacruze

Somebody point me to a '60s European car that could last 10 years on Detroit streets.

*Maybe* a Benz 230 or Volvo 164. Nobody will confuse them with fun to drive, though.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

kokxville

I would save money and buy a new challenger if only i could afford it,but i never consider selling the charger for a modern car,even when i think they are extremely nice and have the looks of a real muscle car.But it will never become a genuine muscle car,and when you get in a old muscle car....man,there's nothing wich can compare to that. :2thumbs:
It's all about the feeling you get when you're sitting behind the wheel. :yesnod:
And i also think 99 or even 100% on this board has his/her charger as a 2nd car besides their daily driver and only drive in it when it's nice weather or going to a cruise or meeting.If you have a newone,it's more like you have a 13 in a dozen car and you drive it as a daily driver. :icon_smile_wink:
Would i want one,yes but not if i have to sell my old charger. :Twocents:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

NHCharger

Quote from: aussiemuscle on October 12, 2010, 06:05:07 PM

I have owned my two Chargers for a combined total of 25 years. I have not done any upgrades to the suspension in either car. Only upgrades have been electronic ignition and headlight upgrade in both cars. I am contemplating putting a front sway bar on the 72 since it has so much body roll compared to the 71.
I learned to drive in a 68 Dart with manual drums, 70? Ford p/u with a 3 on the tree with no brakes and a 71 Plymouth suburban wagon. Maybe that's why I feel so comfortable driving my Chargers.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Silver R/T

Quote from: bull on October 10, 2010, 11:31:19 PM
No, nothing. Even if there were something out there that did tempt me I really don't like the obsession car companies have with gadgets these days. New cars have too much stuff to go wrong, they're too difficult and costly to fix and they've created too much distance between the driver and the driving experience. My next car will probably be something like a 1973 Coronet.

x2. Too many "gadgets" and most of them you can't get rid of. So they just add price to the car, take up room and add weight.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Cooter

Nope.......This question has been asked of myself at local car shows and my answer is always the same...."Why would you want a raggedy General Lee Clone when you have all that newer Car?"

The Reply is always the same too..."People don't ask you to take pictures of a newer musclecar, they do with this one".....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

HITMAN 149

NOPE!!!! i only sold my charger due to some financial restrains right now and it just became tooo BIG of a project for me right now.... i downsized by selling off all my toys EXCEPT the BIKE!!! lol i picked up a 2001 bmw 740i SPORT as my new daily driver :icon_smile_big:
but i WILL get another 68 charger r/t again in the near future!!!!
:cheers:
i can understand someone wanting some NEW, more modern, more relaible muscle.. but NOTHING compares to the looks you get with OLD SCHOOL MUSCLE!!!!!
WOW that convert chally does look sweet though!!!  :drool5:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

The70RT

I love the new Challenger but I wouldn't sell my Charger to get it. I figure If I can't afford one then well I won't get one. I would want to drive it all the time then it would be worth what in 20 years? If I didn't have a $1200 house payment I could get one.....so house or new Challenger  :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brock Samson

wow! that must've hurt... sorry you had to sell,..
 anyhow,..

a few Mos. back I almost sold all of mine to get this very Chrysler press fleet car,.. a heritage 300 C with every option but the sunroof,..

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/7535/2009-chrysler-300c-heritage-edition-review-test-drive

I talked at length to the dealer who told me he'd take $25K cash for it (Price: MSRP $37,135.00 as tested including destination charges $46,040.00) and because it was a low mile fully maintained press car i thought it a steal - it was apparently also the only car with that color combo ever made.  :drool5:
But, it was too far away for me to inspect and by the time i lined up my ducks the car was sold,.. The fact that ten folks pleaded with me not to sell my R/T delayed my move where as I missed the Op.
I was just wanting to simplify my life at the time.

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/7535/2009-chrysler-300c-heritage-edition-review-test-drive

HITMAN 149

hey dave...
yea IT SUCKED :'( but i did what was best for now.... i just had to downsize my finances for now..
the new Daily Driver.... let me tell you... for anyone that's never driven one...
OMG it is the ultimate driving machine  :yesnod:
2001 740i SPORT  :cheers:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Brock Samson

nice a short 7 of that vintage is my Fav. BMW. I test drove and wanted one while I was M shopping in '02, but the sand color one i found for $25K wasn't to my liking as it had been neglected... great choice!  :2thumbs:

HITMAN 149

thanks dave :2thumbs:
yea it drives like a dream!!! handles like it's on rails!!!! its always been my fav bmw!! but new in 01 the car was $70K!!! :o lol it's got black leather thats in mint cond.. you would think the car was never sat in!!! it's 100% optioned out!!!! had alot of maintenance already done!!! i have alll the svc records!! to quote ferris buehler "if you have the means to pick one up.. i HIGHLEY recommend it!!" hahaha
:cheers:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

68charger383

I don't think I'd sell my charger, but I just sold my 67 firebird today and I'm thinking about maybe buying a new challenger. The thought of doing a few blasts at the drag strip, then driving home (or anywhere else) in a 475 hp car that can stop on a dime, whip around corners with the 500 watt stereo and A/C blasting sounds pretty tempting.   :scratchchin:

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

41husk

If this guy will give me $15,000 trade on the WannaBee, I will be buying a 2009 SRT8 Challenger.  So I guess the answer would be yes :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on October 18, 2010, 02:34:12 PM
If this guy will give me $15,000 trade on the WannaBee, I will be buying a 2009 SRT8 Challenger.  So I guess the answer would be yes :cheers:
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

41husk

Well it happens today, I made the deal yesterday and now own one less old muscle car and my first new muscle car :2thumbs: I guess I need to change my profile :cheers:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on October 20, 2010, 10:14:27 AM
Well it happens today, I made the deal yesterday and now own one less old muscle car and my first new muscle car :2thumbs: I guess I need to change my profile :cheers:
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  DUDE YOU ARE LIVING THE LIFE   :cheers: :cheers:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

Only as long as I can make the payments :P They gave me $15,800 on the Wanna Bee.  I have had it for sale for 17,500 and never been offered even 15k.  In this economy 15k for a 73 Charger is not bad, even though I have much more than that in it :brickwall:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904