News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which glue for vinyl top install?

Started by NGC414, September 30, 2010, 09:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGC414

Im getting ready to try to tackle my vinyl top install. I was courious which type of glue to use. Is it possible to brush the glue on? I was planning to get some weldwood contact cement, but see some companies have glue in aresol cans as well.
Every article I have read about it gives a great step by step guid, but does not give any info on the glue.

doctor4766

My trimmer mate used contact cement but in his spray gun to fit a vinyl roof to one of my cars.
I dont think pressure pack cans would lay it on thick enough myself.
Gotta love a '69

green69rt

Quote from: NGC414 on September 30, 2010, 09:00:33 AM
Im getting ready to try to tackle my vinyl top install. I was courious which type of glue to use. Is it possible to brush the glue on? I was planning to get some weldwood contact cement, but see some companies have glue in aresol cans as well.
Every article I have read about it gives a great step by step guid, but does not give any info on the glue.
I've done contact on other things and only one problem.  When brushing it on it may form lumps and ridges.  If you apply it either spray in on or use a roller.

no40jm

I used about 4 can's of 3M 8090. It worked good for me.  :icon_smile_big:
"If you chop your own fire wood it will warm you twice."
"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right." HF

Belgium R/T -68

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

AKcharger

3M, there's no better way to go...I've done 3 of 'em

gasoline_24

I vote for the 3M.  That is what I used and it went on great.

NGC414

NGC414

I see they have 3 kinds of 3m spray glue at Home depot. I bought the multi purpose 3M 77. Does it matter much which one?

bill440rt

YES!!! It does matter.

Go down to your local auto body supply store & ask for 3M's Super Trim Adhesive, comes in a tall can.
The other stuff at Home Depot from 3M (Multi Purpose) will not hold up to the intense heat from the sun.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

NGC414

I got the 3m super trim adhesive and the top went on pretty nice. All the parts I thought would be tough were easy and all the stuff I thought would be easy was hard.
The only area I struggled with was where the sail panel starts on the outside. I got small faint ripples/waves in the same spot on both sides. no matter what I did I couldnt get rid of them. Do you think they will go away with time??

ACUDANUT

I chickened out and Paid a upholstery shop 230.00 for install.  ( I had the top )...At least I can say I have peace of mind and it was done right...with a warranty.

bill440rt

Quote from: NGC414 on October 14, 2010, 01:14:57 PM
I got the 3m super trim adhesive and the top went on pretty nice. All the parts I thought would be tough were easy and all the stuff I thought would be easy was hard.
The only area I struggled with was where the sail panel starts on the outside. I got small faint ripples/waves in the same spot on both sides. no matter what I did I couldnt get rid of them. Do you think they will go away with time??

Can you post a pic of this to help out?
Did you try using a heat gun? That will usually do the trick.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

NGC414

I can take one when I get home and post it tomorrow. I did try a hair dryer with no luck (my el cheapo heat gun stopped working).