News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vintage NASCAR steering wheels

Started by Ghoste, October 19, 2010, 02:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

What are all of those two spoke wheels out of, trucks?  Secondly, why was that the wheel of choice?

RTDaddy

Early cars did not have power steering, (this did not show up until about 84/85, Geoff Bodine and Bobby Allison experimented with it).  Thus it took a lot of leverage to horse those cars around.  That also accounts for why most of those guys were some pretty good sized boys.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Ghoste

So that wheel was just bigger in diameter then?  Makes sense, I didn't know if maybe the two spokes were a rule or what.

Aero426

There was no rule on the number of spokes.  I am sure they picked a simple wheel from the truck parts bin.    Have not measured to see if it is larger diameter which would give you a little more leverage.  It may be.  I will compare it. Also, the cars are not difficult to steer once you are moving.    When parked it is another story.

Ghoste

Then why do you think they typically chose that one Doug?

Aero426

I'll compare the diameter and see if there is any difference.   

CornDogsCharger

I would be willing to be that it was more comfortable to steer the cars over a long period of time.  Less work to steer means less fatigue.  No power steering, bumpier ride, less creature comforts, etc.... that would be very tiring after 500 laps.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Aero426

Race car steering wheel is identical diameter to the street car, apx 15 1/2".    The Nichels Engineering parts book lists a factory Chrysler part number on the race wheel as 2852494.  Anybody have a 67 or 68 Mopar parts book to see the application?  It is not showing up in the online databases.  

Ghoste

They appear to skip that number in the pasenger car parts books.  Anyone have the truck books?

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

elacruze

Two-spoke wheels were introduced to keep the driver from being impaled on the third spoke.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Aero426

Quote from: elacruze on October 20, 2010, 12:32:15 PM
Two-spoke wheels were introduced to keep the driver from being impaled on the third spoke.

There are a few Grand National cars out there that ran a three spoke wheel.    There is nothing in the rule book  that prevented it.   Roy Tyner's Grand Prix has recently been restored.  Here it is as found.  It has a three spoke.  Not an aero car, but it's cool and the real deal.

UFO

Quote from: Ghoste on October 19, 2010, 11:01:59 PM
They appear to skip that number in the pasenger car parts books.  Anyone have the truck books?

Ya ,Quick look did not find that number there either.

Aero426

The two spoke wheels bend easy enough...

For you curiousity seekers, there have been three photos of the Tab Prince car on Ebay.   The seller will probably relist them as he bought the negatives.    The sellers Ebay ID is satellite4.

pettybird

They look a lot like the 1964 car wheel.  If I were to make one that's what I'd use.

Besides...all you see is 4000ft of electrical tape!

daytonalo

I love  69-70 Grand prix, I had a few 428 models

nitrometal

Quote from: pettybird on October 20, 2010, 11:42:50 PM
They look a lot like the 1964 car wheel.  If I were to make one that's what I'd use.

Besides...all you see is 4000ft of electrical tape!

Speaking of that electrical tape...was that really what it was?  From what I've seen in person, it looks like modern black vinyl tape (not sure if they were original or not).  I remember electrical tape back in that time having a weaved cloth look with adhesive on the back (kind of like an exaggerated duct tape).  You'll still see it if you remodel older homes.

Just seems to give a better grip with sweaty hands with the cloth type vs. glossy vinyl.  I've read somewhere that the drivers hands would be bloody raw after the race.

Any electricians from back in the day remember when vinyl tape became available?
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Aero426

The wheels were also wrapped in kind of a sponge rubber type material.  Nichels had it in the parts catalog and you would order a length of it and wrap your own wheel.   That is what this photo shows.   

nitrometal

Hey Doug,  I'm trying to remember...Isn't your car and the K&K Insurance car covered with the vinyl tape?
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Aero426

Yes it has miles of electrical tape and a rope under that to make it easier to move the car around.   I would prefer to pull the rope out of there and redo it. 

hemigeno

Here's a cropped photo which has most of Doug's car's steering wheel visible

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE