News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

David Pearson and Dodge

Started by Ghoste, November 06, 2010, 12:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I know the obvious answer is always money but were there any other reasons why Pearson left Cotton Owens and Dodge to drive Ford?

Aero426

At the time, their relationship had run its course.    Pearson was also on the short list of candidates to replace the retiring Fred Lorenzen at Ford.   

Ghoste

Thanks Doug.  I knd of wondered since Pearson appeared to be a very loyal sort of driver and not someone who hops from ride to ride like all the young jockeys today.  He seemed to be a devoted part of the Owens crew in the beginning but once he went Ford, he obviously maintained his faithfulness to that camp.  Dance with the one what brung ya, huh?

BPTRacing

Can't say why David would have left, but I can say he still has Sunday lunch with Cotten Owen every few weeks. First hand knowledge, including last Sunday, since I saw Cotten after he and Dot had lunch David.
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

Ghoste

Aero426

Quote from: BPTRacing on November 06, 2010, 04:41:31 PM
Can't say why David would have left, but I can say he still has Sunday lunch with Cotten Owen every few weeks. First hand knowledge, including last Sunday, since I saw Cotten after he and Dot had lunch David.

I don't think there has ever been what you'd call bad blood between Cotton and David.   But in 1967, as the defending champion, he left fairly early in the season (April) to go to HM.   After a string of poor finishes,  Cotton was quoted as saying "I think it's best we go our separate ways".   You can read between the lines that there may have been some discord at that particular moment in time.   Pearson was named as Lorenzen's replacement a few weeks later.    Bobby Allison was Pearson's replacement with Cotton and that is a deal that did NOT at all work out.