News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Charger looks original; Kansas on ebay *survivor*

Started by BB1, October 29, 2010, 10:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

Quote from: Ghoste on October 30, 2010, 11:36:24 PM
The Corvette crowd has had a written definition for some time now and competing for Bloomington Gold requires adherance to their rules.  I can't comment on the 29,000 mile part because I don't know (or care) about he Vette freaks rules but I do recall hearing more than once that in spite of their long list of rules the Vette guys will allow some enormous amount of repaint (my memory tells me 80% but I'm not sure) and still consider it a survivor.  I like seeing the Mopar Survivors that have been attending some of the larger shows.  Those cars are impressive and largely as they were when new no matter what the mileage.

good points ghoste.. i guess the crux of the issue here is that whatever they called a survivor 20 years ago is way different from today, and 20 years from now the definition will change again.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Todd Wilson

from those that coined the term "survivor" back in the 80's... the corvette guys.  I am sure that a car to be termed a survivor had to have 29,000 miles or less as a requirement for the survivor definition.  if there is not a cap on mileage.. we could call any car a survivor just because it is still around :D
[/quote]

Frankie is a survivor!

Todd

BB1

I through in the word survivor to screw with u guys. It's just a buzz word that gets ppl overly pissed off.  :rofl:
Every body has the right to use the word there is no correct use for it.
Maybe my Hyundai after 40 years could be a survivor, surviving my driving skills.  ;D

If it survived this long with the OME part that it looks like it did, minus the T handle shifter, then I think it survived many many years where most cars that age ended up in the junkyard long ago.

I like the car myself, no i have no plans to buy it.

Yes i hate Corvette owners, my aunt had 1 and I never like her either.  :smilielol:
Delete my profile

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Ghoste on October 30, 2010, 11:36:24 PM
The Corvette crowd has had a written definition for some time now and competing for Bloomington Gold requires adherance to their rules.  I can't comment on the 29,000 mile part because I don't know (or care) about the Vette freaks rules but I do recall hearing more than once that in spite of their long list of rules the Vette guys will allow some enormous amount of repaint (my memory tells me 80% but I'm not sure) and still consider it a survivor.  I like seeing the Mopar Survivors that have been attending some of the larger shows.  Those cars are impressive and largely as they were when new no matter what the mileage.

I like seeing the MOPAR Survivors, too  :2thumbs: In fact, I like them A LOT!!  :2thumbs:

That said, I like seeing the Corvette Survivors and what they represent.

Having been involved with these cars - both Corvettes and Chargers, for over two decades and remember the fuss over what is a Survivor, and what is not. It is not some opinion posted on the internet however, I can reference the Bloomington Gold site for their criteria. The MOPAR Survivor criteria is slightly different and I will list it after the Corvette criteria.

Here are the facts...  :cheers:

http://www.bloomingtongold.com/inc.php?link=survivor

QuoteGetting SURVIVOR® Certified documents the standard for unrestored vehicles. It means that a panel of judges have certified that the car meets these requirements:

Is over 20 years old.
Can pass a road test over 20 miles
Remains over 50% unrestored, un-refinished, or unaltered.
Retains finishes good enough to use as a color guide for restoration of a car just like it.

MOPAR Criteria:
QuoteCRITERIA: UNRESTORED / UNRESTIFIED MOPARS at least

25 years old, (REAR WHEEL DRIVE ONLY). Striving for 80% each; of the paint, interior, and drive train. Must be as "factory installed or applied". It does not mean repainted to the correct color or rebuilt to the original specifications.

We want the display to present each vehicle to best represent it the way it is after it Survived all these years. Maintenance and normal repairs are acceptable as well as minimal accident repair. Rust repair is not acceptable. Component replacement; such as belts, hoses, exhaust, tires, etc. is expected.

To maintain a high quality display, we recommend replacing components with similar items such as correct tire type and size, correct battery, stock appearing exhaust, correct hose clamps, belts, etc.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

FWIW, It was 1990, when David Burroughs of Bloomington Gold, coined the term, "Survivor" as applied to judging standards.  :coolgleamA:

Hard to say the standards were changed when the guy who wrote the standard is still in the drivers seat... The four categories are listed in my earlier post, above...

QuoteFor 1990, David Burroughs added another milestone judging event to the ever-growing Bloomington Gold show - Survivor judging for unrestored Corvettes. "Worn In, But Not Worn Out" became the theme as Corvettes at least twenty years old are judged in four categories for their originality and to determine whether or not they should best be left unrestored. As in Gold Certification judging, these original Corvettes are not judged against other cars, but against a factory standard.

ACUDANUT

Also this guy seems to sell alot of older cars...Including GM and Ford cars....If it's the same guy, his other e-bay name is clax1950...Both of them are from Winchester KS, not a big town to say the least... :scratchchin: :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

Nacho-RT74

if he sells lot of cars he should know what SURVIVOR means
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ACUDANUT

Quote from: BB1 on October 31, 2010, 12:17:14 AM
I through in the word survivor to screw with u guys. It's just a buzz word that gets ppl overly pissed off.  :rofl:
Every body has the right to use the word there is no correct use for it.
Maybe my Hyundai after 40 years could be a survivor, surviving my driving skills.  ;D

If it survived this long with the OME part that it looks like it did, minus the T handle shifter, then I think it survived many many years where most cars that age ended up in the junkyard long ago.

I like the car myself, no i have no plans to buy it.

Yes i hate Corvette owners, my aunt had 1 and I never like her either.  :smilielol:

Nacho, BW1 threw that word in

TUFCAT

Now....THIS car is a true survivor!!! (see ebay Link)  Sold for $22,500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170555103911&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123

This particular 1967 Coronet 500 had 11,000 miles and was a virtual time capsule except for the exhaust (it had factory duals but the tips are totally wrong) . It even has the optional H-code 383 four barrel HP engine with air conditioning! A very nice car.  :icon_smile_tongue::

Imagine the value if this were a 1969 Charger R/T instead!  :drool5: :drool5:

TUFCAT

Survivor trunk....

I wanted to place a bid and buy this car, and I almost did. Unfortunately it sold very fast....and for more cash than I could afford anyway... :brickwall:

ACUDANUT

Highest bid was only 3k. It didn't sell...Dang this economy sucks...Or 3rd Gen Chargers get NO respect.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 03, 2010, 04:12:19 PM
Now....THIS car is a true survivor!!! (see ebay Link)  Sold for $22,500.

Imagine the value if this were a 1969 Charger R/T instead!  :drool5: :drool5:

...that was the T7 car from a few weeks ago - if it were all cleaned up ;)

Charger440RDN

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 05, 2010, 07:22:47 PM
Highest bid was only 3k. It didn't sell...Dang this economy sucks...Or 3rd Gen Chargers get NO respect.

Yeah it seems like the 3rd gens just arn't worth anything anymore unless it's a 71 R/T. I was thinking about buying one and on craigslist you see tons of them for 3k or less. Some of them have been on there for months.

ACUDANUT

True, or a 72 Rallye !!
BTW I asked this guy, what he wanted for it....8k...I say NOOO way.