News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sway bars and Super Stock springs............>>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, November 18, 2005, 09:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

Hey guys, I was told that something isn't right with my rear sway bar, but since I can't find a good pic of a properly installed one, I'm still not sure what the guy was talking about.

I have receipts for one that was installed not long before I bought the car, but it almost looks like the place that installed it didn't finish the job?

I'm including a couple pix of mine, but would really appreciate some pix of a one done right.

Here's those pix:

Thanks in advance.

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

8WHEELER

Yes something broke off for sure, its an aftermarket sway bar so I don't know what
the bracket is supposed to look like, are both sides broken like that??

This is my 68 with a sway bar from a 78 Dodge Diploma Police Car, works well.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Johnny SixPack

Thanks for the pic, Dan! :cheers:

Yes, both sides of the bar look like that.

Receipts show that the bar was from Energy Suspension IIRC.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Johnny SixPack

New question, if you're running Super Stock rear springs, do you still need to use a sway bar?

I've got access to a set, and my sway bar has been confirmed as DOA at this point (brackets that hold it to the rails are indeed snapped).

Was told that I wouldn't need the bar with the SS springs, but wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks!
Johnny's Herd:

Chryco Psycho

the SS springs & the sway bar do totally different things
the springs are biased with very stiff front sections & soft rear sections to prevent spring distortion & plant the rear tires for traction & allow the body to rise , the sway bar is to minimize body roll in corners , the sway bar will limit the effectiveness of the springs slighty , most poeple do not run both together but there is no reason why you can`t
the frame brakets on you rear bar look very weak which i swhy they failed , engineering or buying a far better braket will fix the problem

Johnny SixPack

Thanks Neil.

The sway bar is going back on.

Just going to use reinforced 'C' shaped brackets that will wrapped around the frame rail (since the old ones ripped a hole in the rail).
Johnny's Herd:

Chryco Psycho

Rolling_Thunder

hey 8Wheeler - any more info u can give me about that sway bar swap ?  I'm in the market fora cheap rear sway bar
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Johnny SixPack

Neil, you were right. :2thumbs:

Car is night and day different with the sway bar reconnected and using the R/T springs.   :yesnod:

Even tighter with the subframe connectors! :METAL:

Just need the Alter'K'tion unit (can't wait for discs!) and I'll be set for a good long while.   ;D
Johnny's Herd:

Chryco Psycho

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs