News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rant about GM's poor engineering...

Started by Ponch ®, December 29, 2005, 03:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twilt

The chances that you could just replace the cable is slim to none. usually the cable snaps as a result of another issue. chances are that the plastic (nylon?) spool  that it rides on inside the motor housing is f*ed due to surface wear (probable cause). most cars these days use these types of non servicable assemblies. dealers are typically very expensive but there are a lot of aftermarket vendors that sell them real cheap. one went bad on my wifes camry a few months ago. i found  a brand new aftermarket unit on ebay for less than $50. they are very easy to replace. once you get the door panel off, it should be obvious what you need to do. The one in my wifes Camry took me 20 minutes to replace.  if it isnt obvious to you, feel free to pm me and i can walk you thru the process. GM isnt alone with this problem. The ones in late model chryslers suck too. At my job, we replace plenty of them on 2-4 year old Caravans. 

Todd Wilson

My mom just paid off a Grand Prix she bought new.   Its got about 60000miles on it. Both power windows dont work. Water pump has been fixed. Intake is leaking. Radiator fan dont work. Blower fan is making noise. It has a short in the wiring so the turn signals and or rear lights work or not work. Sometimes the rear lights work and turn signals dont. Sometimes they all work and sometimes none work. She is wanting to trade it off for another GM product. I keep telling her to go somewhere else.     She called the other day wanting to know about a Corvette with 36000 miles on it. Its a family members that has passed on recently. The motor rattles on start up and quites out   as it runs.

I just shook my head and told her she needs to look at other brands.   I got 2 buddys that are die hard Chevy fans   and they wont buy a new Chevy. They already been down the intake gasket problems and other things in the newer cars.  

Its no wonder GM is having $ troubles.

Todd

The Mad Scientist

from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense for GM to do what they're doing.   They could sell a new cable for about ten-twenty dollars...   Or they could sell you a new integral unit for hundreds.   The power windows on my dad's 72 olds 98 still work great, they've never been worked on before.   the new integral units are heavier on the plastic pieces than the old.   They break quicker and that's the point.   Dealers make craptons of cash selling those integral parts.   I also think it's worth mentioning that I had a Grand Prix in one night cause the window popped off the track when the boyfriend slammed the door on the girlfriend's car.   The car was a mid 90's model and it had manual crank windows.  

There's also another racket going on with rebuilt parts.   Why is it Chrysler can make a starter that lasts 15 years, an alt. that lasts 30, etc...   and when rebuilt to as new specs they can't last 30 days (in some cases even 30 minutes)  

I'd advise a pick a part.   Even used parts salvage yards charge out the wazzoo for integral units.   (Especially with any GM part specifically for, or that will interchange with a Cadillac.)

73dodge

Sheesh from reading this post it seems that you should just go to the boneyard and buy a new stinkin door with all the parts attached.

Chances are that you can find just the cable, and they just don't want to sell just the cable, why sell a 20 part when you can get 200 for a whole unit?

BTW NEVER take the dealers word for any repair. I have taken my Intrepid in for service twice to a dealer for my Check Engine Light coming on and was told once that my tranny was bad and needed a new one for 2000.00 and another for engine work costing thousands to repair.

Thank Goodness for the internet, an hour of searching and three plastic sensors later and problem fixed. Total cost less than a 100.00 as opposed to a tranny swap and engine work quoted to me by the Dealer
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

dkn1997

look at the bright side, at least you are not driving around in the partial birth abortion that is the 2006 charger....
RECHRGED

Ponch ®

Quote from: twilt on December 30, 2005, 12:15:45 AM
  usually the cable snaps as a result of another issue. chances are that the plastic (nylon?) spool   that it rides on inside the motor housing is f*ed due to surface wear (probable cause).  

I took the motor apart, and thats pretty much what happened, except that the plastic spool didnt appear to be worn or broken. When I took it apart though, the cable was all tangled up in the spool housing. My guess is that because the cable wouldnt move, the cable just snapped off at the other end (where it attaches to the actual assembly that pulls the window up and down) due to the tension.

Even if I find the parts though, I don't think I could do it myself. I pretty much would have to take the door apart and the regulator assembly has a bunch of brackes and stuff that needs to be bolted in places that are pretty hard to get to. My regular mechanic will do it for $85.

Quote from: dkn1997 on December 30, 2005, 10:05:09 AM
look at the bright side, at least you are not driving around in the partial birth abortion that is the 2006 charger....

I wish I was   :( *

*non '06 Charger hater.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

hemihead

Why do people own Chargers but don't buy Mopar for a daily driver I'll never understand.  ;D
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

dkn1997

Quote from: hemihead on December 30, 2005, 06:16:02 PM
Why do people own Chargers but don't buy Mopar for a daily driver I'll never understand.  ;D

you are joking, right?  I hope that's what the  "  ;D " means....

If they made anything besides a truck that looked decent, I would buy one in a minute.  Plus I am tainted by the 80's and mid 90's throwaway cars they made, left a bad taste in my mouth. 
RECHRGED

twilt

Ah..... dont feel too bad Ponch-Mojo.$200 for an OEM new unit really isnt that bad.  Be glad you dont own a Lebaron Covert. a rear window motor and regulator assembly for one of them (88-95) runs around $500 from the dealer.   :yesnod: :yesnod:  Dodge Stealth / ItchyPussi 3000GT assemblies are $$$$ too.  last used one i found in a junkyard and bought for $17, i sold the same day on ebay for $145. :yesnod: :yesnod:
Almost all vehicles use these type of cable driven motor/regulator assemblies anymore. they are lighter and quieter than old style units. If you decide to take a shot at replacing it, shoot me a PM. I promise you, its not very hard. I will also keep my eyes open for one when i do my weekly junkyarding next week.   

2fast4u

Hey Mojo
   I work at a GM dealership and we use our salvage yard "a lot" on our used car lot cars/trucks,etc.  At our salvage yard they have a locator computer system to find the part your looking for across the USA. Now it may cost a bit more if they don't have it at their yard and have to ship it in and of course they bump the price too.  BUT....I'll bet you it will still cost less than $180. 
   They should be able to tell you what it will cost you "up front" before they order the part if they have to locate it for you.

Oh..and by the way.  Most cars that have a spring loaded regulator are that way to help the weak little motor push all that heavy glass up!

I know...it sucks

2fast              Mopar forever!!!
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Chryco Psycho

You get what you pay for , I refuse to drive GMs

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ponch on December 29, 2005, 03:30:05 PM

Here's the ironic part...as I'm walking around Home Depot looking for a suitable piece of wood, I saw steel cable, very simlar to the one that snapped in the assembly, for $1/ft.

any comments or candid thoughts are appreciated.  

I can't believe you were in Home Depot & didn't go over to the window dept. You should consider a nice, sliding Anderson window with a screen. It'll keep the bugs out too.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Ponch ®

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 02, 2006, 02:02:08 PM
Quote from: Ponch on December 29, 2005, 03:30:05 PM

Here's the ironic part...as I'm walking around Home Depot looking for a suitable piece of wood, I saw steel cable, very simlar to the one that snapped in the assembly, for $1/ft.

any comments or candid thoughts are appreciated. 

I can't believe you were in Home Depot & didn't go over to the window dept. You should consider a nice, sliding Anderson window with a screen. It'll keep the bugs out too.

they didnt have it in black.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Blusmbl

Quote from: Ponch on January 02, 2006, 02:05:23 PM
they didnt have it in black.

Then just stroll on over to the spraypaint aisle.  :P

I've had 5 Chevrolet vehicles total in my lifetime, every single one has been problematic.  I finally broke down and bought brand spankin' new (05 Ram), and even that has issues.  Needs a new rack, water pump was replaced a couple months ago, and my driver's seatback had a substantial sized tear in it because it was misbuilt at the factory.  Sucks.  I'm going to be past the bumper to bumper warranty sometime this year, and I'm not looking forward to it.  :icon_smile_shy:
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

CFMopar

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 29, 2005, 04:28:13 PM
I feel sorry for ya.. yes American cars that they build right now SUCK, no wonder you see more people buying import cars cause they're worth extra buck. this might offend someone but average American factory worker is lazy ass, they need to learn from import car builders, build quality and they'll sell US made cars much better than imports

Sad to say that but its true. I've worked automotive factory jobs here in Canada and its the same shit. Cant say boo to a worker without him saying hes going to a union. They have no respect for supervision and don't give a shit about their jobs cause the Union is so strong. People get caught sleeping, smoking pot, stealing and they all get their jobs back after being fired for a while.

Then they complain that japs have an advantage because American cars cant compeat in Japanese markets. Well I'm sorry but with some of the crap that gets built here I don't think they would sell many anyways..... Cant even beat them on our own turf were going to beat them on theirs?
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g