News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing warp from grille

Started by 469 runner, August 03, 2011, 10:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

469 runner

Trying to remove a warp in one of the headlight surrounds on my 1968 grille.  It is bowed up in the middle preventing the trim to fit correctly.  I looked through the database above and found nothing pertaining to this, surely someone else has seen this problem.

I am feeling like a good source of heat and use clamps or weight to straighten out the bow, but not sure how much heat this plastic can take.  Would a heat lamp work, or heat gun?

twodko

Hey Buddy,

I think you're on the right track with heat. I'd get out the SO's blow dryer - please no heat gun or heat lamp, too hot. Rig up some type of jig to hold the grille piece in place while heating it with the blow dryer (on its hottest setting). Hopefully you'll be able to push the plastic back into shape and lightly clamp it where necessary. Careful with the clamps so you don't cause any cracks etc. OR set the piece in said jig, clamp it into shape and then heat it up and let it sit. Keep us in the loop, good luck.  :cheers:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!