News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timming Cover Oil Leak on 440

Started by Bigun426, December 17, 2010, 12:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigun426

Can any one reccommend an external sealent to apply to the the timing cover and oil pan joint that will hold up? Can't risk taking the balancer off again because the threads are in shaky condition. 

elacruze

Since it's already oily and inaccessible, you won't have much luck. Leave the damper on and pull the oil pan...yha that sucks too.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bill440rt

I'd like some tips, too. Mine is leaking on the passenger side at the locating dowel. You can see a very slight trickle with the engine is running.

My thoughts were to clean it really good with some brake clean or strong solvent, & dry it completely. Then, maybe a dab of clear silicone or high-temp gasket sealer. Or, if there is something else better I'm open to any suggestions.  :shruggy:   I DON'T want to pull the front of the engine off if I don't have to.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

elacruze

If I had to do something without taking it apart, I'd clean it as well as possible with liberal dose of Brakleen or Electric Motor cleaner, then blow dry with shop air. Let dry 10 or 15 minutes more, then apply Permatex Ultra Gray silicone sealer. Smash it into the cracks with a finger while wet. Ultra Gray is a little thinner than most other silicone RTVs and fills cracks pretty good.

Then say your prayers and let it sit 24 hours before starting.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Cooter

Quote from: elacruze on December 17, 2010, 10:38:46 PM
If I had to do something without taking it apart, I'd clean it as well as possible with liberal dose of Brakleen or Electric Motor cleaner, then blow dry with shop air. Let dry 10 or 15 minutes more, then apply Permatex Ultra Gray silicone sealer. Smash it into the cracks with a finger while wet. Ultra Gray is a little thinner than most other silicone RTVs and fills cracks pretty good.

Then say your prayers and let it sit 24 hours before starting.

Bingo! :2thumbs: That's bout your best bet...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

FLG

The right stuff in the aresol can might work even better. 

62 Max

I have yet to see anything that will fix a internal to external leak without taking it apart.Eventually,it will leak.Even though it's a pita,take it apart and do it right. :Twocents:

Bigun426

Thanks for all the imput!  Tried several sealants already that worked up to the point where oil would break the adhesion and start to leak again. Without the compression of the sealent between the parts nothing going to work. Permatext offers a sealent (can't remember the name ) that is formulated for external applications and stand up to a small amount of pressure and all the parts stores list it but don't stock it and won't order any. Found it on line but have to buy six tubes minimum. Going to try to get some but it looks like I'm going to drop the pan. At least I won't have to do the radiator antifreeze thing.

bill440rt

Just wondering, any news on this?  :shruggy:
How is the leak? Did you ever try that Permatex sealant you were looking for??
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Bigun426

still sitting after all these years .finally retired nursing a bad back to health and finish up.Have to pull the timing chain cover anyway cause i left the oil slinger off.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Bigun426 on May 17, 2024, 11:19:54 AMHave to pull the timing chain cover anyway cause i left the oil slinger off.

FWIW, the factory eliminated the slinger in the late seventies.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

Also be certain the rim of the pan is flat before installing. I've used Permitex RTV with a gasket.

metallicareload99

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 17, 2024, 01:24:55 PM
Quote from: Bigun426 on May 17, 2024, 11:19:54 AMHave to pull the timing chain cover anyway cause i left the oil slinger off.

FWIW, the factory eliminated the slinger in the late seventies.

:iagree: on myy 440 I forgot it on the first refresh/"rebuild" and it didn't leak from the timing cover....
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth