News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MY RANT ON MEMBERS FOR PROFIT !

Started by skip68, December 18, 2010, 03:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

You wanted to help a fellow buddy/member out. I totally get your frustration when they turned your parts into a profit opportunity. I wish I had a good solution for ya!  :brickwall:

HITMAN 149

hey guys...
yes i feel for skip!! it sucks to think your helping out someone & then find out he made a profit on your good nature.. :flame:
and i know it never seems to come around fast enough but... KARMA IS A BITCH!!! LOL
since ive sold my charger i have listed a BUNCH of leftover parts, for wellllll below what i could get for them on ebay... why??? because i believe WE are a different bunch of guys/gals on here... with the exception of a small few (the couple of bad apples in the tree LOL), that are ALWAYS willing to help out as much as we can!!!!!!!!!
yes ive practically given stuff away to members who "haggle" you down also, and then want you to pay for shipping too.. lmao but hey... it is what it is sometimes... you just have to keep up the faith!!!

just like cody said "pay it forward"
:cheers:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

RECHRGD

Same thing happened to me years ago with a guy from the old sight.  Basically gave him some good stuff and found out later he put them on E-Bay.  I'll still help out people when I can, if I think they're straight with me.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

skip68

I hear you guys and I'm cooling down now but like I said, I'm done...   It's not worth my time or stress. So as long as a dealer/flipper can post B.S. wanted ads for stuff they really don't need and are just going to sell OR, beat us down on our prices because we think he is a member in need, I'M DONE. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Tilar

I think you should post the name(s) so it doesn't happen to someone else.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

skip68

I think I'll hold off on names just yet.  Another member has given me the name of one of these guys that was tracked from ebay to here.  I guess they changed their name.   I was told Troy has been notified so for now I will leave it at that because I don't have all the facts.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Cooter

I personally have a big problem with flippers of CARS...I mean you know the ones..I have NOTHING against selling to REINVEST in the hobby as I've done this very thing, but I'm referring to the ones that see a '68 Charger in their hometown or whatever, talk the owner who clearly doesn't understand they are being duped, out of it for say $400.00 and is in good shape...These people aren't Chevy/Ford/Mopar/ etc. they are whatever they can turn a buck on...Then, they list this thing for $6500.00 and haven't done one damn thing to make it worth the extra money..This means anything from Cleaning it out, to recovering the seats...A Car that could have CLEALRLY gone to an owner or a newbie looking to keep that car for life, has just been priced right out of the hobby....This burns my ass when the "kids" I see at car shows always tell me the same thing.."Well, I'd love to get one of these old skool cars, but have you seen the prices they are asking for JUNK?!" "I can buy a Honda not needing much more than  paint job and a Turbo for less than $5K" They are correct...Why even try to get in on the ground floor if the Flippers have "Set the tone" for anything resembling a deal?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Bobs69

Quote from: skip68 on December 18, 2010, 03:22:19 AM
Just my 2cents...
First let me start by saying I have NO beef with anyone making a buck (aka car & parts flippers.) 
What I DO have a beef with is guys allowed to buy (snag deals) here and then turn around and sell them here for a profit.   I find that tacky.   
The reason I bring this up is because I see the same names constantly buying and selling.    AGAIN, I have no problem with flipper/dealers....   I just have a problem with these guys grabbing a deal that should go to a member instead of cash in these guys pockets...

I think that if they are going to use this site as a business for profit that's fine but they need to give a percentage to Troy.   In the past I have looked at their post and they contribute nothing, hence they are here for only money.

I know it's not illegal but, to me it's morally wrong and tacky.  I feel if they are going to sell like a dealer then they must go through Troy like any other dealer/vender would in order to conduct their business here.    Sorry guys, but as a long time member I find some of your methods tacky. 

I've always thought that guys like this ruin the hobby for people actually trying to put something together.

skip68

I know this sounds funny coming from me in this very thread but, we (this site) need venders/dealers/flippers.   They have access to parts that we might not.   Sometimes you have to pay the price to get what we need but in the end it's worth it.   Am I mad ?  Hell yes but I don't want them to leave the site.  I just want them to conduct their business openly and honestly. 
                   Far as car flippers,  I think it sucks that they grab for nothing and sell for big profits.   BUT I have to be honest, if I could do it to make some much needed cash I would in a heartbeat.... 

Cooter

BUT! Would you come out on the open forum and admit that you are selling a 1968 Charger that you got for $400.00, for $6500.00?? Openly?

that's just it...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BIGBLCK11

Hey Chuck!  Sorry that you had to deal with that.  I appreciate the good deal on the tach!  I just paid the asking price, after you happened to lower it on the post.  But we both know it would have went higher on ebay, exactly what this thread is all about. So, you definitely helped a fellow member/charger owner in this case.  A GOOD GUY in my book! :2thumbs:

skip68

Thanks for saying that Len, your check is in the mail.   and as to your question cooter....   I probably won't disclose what I paid.   I honestly would try to get all I could for the car because I really need it right now.   If I was doing better I would cut a deal on it but yes I would still profit from it.  Then again, we had a 87' 1/2 ton cheby 4x4 that had a 12" lift, 39" swampers ect. ect ect we put over $10k in it and we then sold it.   The kid that wanted the truck came with his dad and as soon as they saw it his dad said they couldn't afford it.  This kid wanted it so bad, it was big and cool and it would be the monster of trucks at his school.   My wife is still upset for what I did....   I said to the kid and his dad "how much you got" ?   They could do $1800 and I said let me drive it once more and they could take it home.  I probably could have gotten around $5,500 to $7,000 for it but back then we didn't need the cash as bad and this kid wanted it so bad.  I made things worse because I blew the money in Tahoe in one night.   poop !   

General_01

Cooter, I think the better question would be "would Chuck give the seller a sob story to get the price from $1,000 down to $400 and then sell it." As he said, if the flipper pays the original asking price, there is nothing wrong. The seller is getting what he wants. It's the guys phishing for a break by posing as an enthusiast in need when they are really just trying to get the price lower so they can make a bigger profit when they resell it.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

skip68

Good call Dean.  I would never give a sad story or lie to someone to get a deal.  I only do that to the people I care about.  These cars and parts are a luxury item so not much sympathy from me.   
BUT, I do understand it's hard to build these cars if you don't have the money and you are working with a car that needs lots of love.  When I see guys like that I do what I can to help them. 
Now that I think about it, I do have my originl door panels and the back side panels that need to go.   They don't look great and need some dye/paint and glue but no rips in them.  I will post those for free before I toss them in case someone wants them.  I know they suck but if a guy doesn't have any it's better than nothing.   

ITSA426

Once I sell it or give it to you, it's yours to do as you wish.  It's a hobby for me not a business. 

A lot of others have helped me and I try to return the favor when I can.  If you need the money and I can help, good for you.  If I don't want to part with something you want, offer more money but once it goes to you, it's yours.

We all have to live with our own integrity and the circle is fairly small so word gets around.  If you need to lie to get something it'll come back to bite you.  If you need something ask, talk me out of it.  I'll sleep OK tonight.  It's just cars and not worth losing something as valuable as a friend over.  Just my opinion.

nvrbdn

well, me personally,i would like to know who we are talking.i am about done with my car. i have a couple blocks,trans,quarter panels, stock exhaust manifolds,intakes,dual quad with 2 500 edl's on it all bb 383, numerous small items i have collected while doing this car. i plan to start unloading after the madness of christmas clears. but would rather not cut a deal to a resale shop. so your telling me to take it to ebay to keep from getting used?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: nvrbdn on December 19, 2010, 11:04:26 PM
well, me personally,i would like to know who we are talking.i am about done with my car. i have a couple blocks,trans,quarter panels, stock exhaust manifolds,intakes,dual quad with 2 500 edl's on it all bb 383, numerous small items i have collected while doing this car. i plan to start unloading after the madness of christmas clears. but would rather not cut a deal to a resale shop. so your telling me to take it to ebay to keep from getting used?

If you look in the Parts for sale section, just look at the sellers profile/posts/sign up date and some are pretty obvious. I had a run in with a seller here and again with them on ebay. When I called them out they sent some pretty nasty emails to me.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

skip68

I just read what Troy put above every section that says "please read"....           "THE GOAL IS TO HELP MEMBERS".  What these guys are doing is not what Troy had in mind.   Just because they register for an account and become a member does not give the green light to set up shop.    THE GOAL IS TO HELP MEMBERS THE GOAL IS TO HELP MEMBERS THE GOAL IS TO HELP MEMBERS......
Now I may be slow, but can anyone explain to me how in the hell they are doing anything for our community other than taking ???
Time to trim the fat.   They are bum draining leeches for a free ride.    

squeakfinder

Wow, on the NikonCafe they require 300 legitimate posts and you must be a member for 180 days before you can even look at the classifieds. Repetitive posts and posts with a small amount of words won't be counted. Something like this might be cost prohibitive but I found it interresting.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

skip68

The truth is we can police it.  We have the report to moderator button.   Just a clause/terms that states dealer/sellers are welcome, you can buy from members at asking price, you can NOT post in the wanted sections and you must include in your user name dealer.   This is the best way I can see it keeping everything open and honest.   We will see the wolf in sheeps clothing coming.  This can be done with little effort.

skip68

One more thing...  If this was my site there is no way I would let others profit off myself or my members ...   I may welcome some or all dealers BUT, they will have rules.

skip68

That last post was not intended to poke you Troy.   I LOVE YOU MAN.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: skip68 on December 20, 2010, 01:36:51 PM
The truth is we can police it.  We have the report to moderator button.   Just a clause/terms that states dealer/sellers are welcome, you can buy from members at asking price, you can NOT post in the wanted sections and you must include in your user name dealer.   This is the best way I can see it keeping everything open and honest.   We will see the wolf in sheeps clothing coming.  This can be done with little effort.

Hey I was actually planning on selling some stuff and also giving some away on this site in the near future. Please PM me the names of the bums that you speak of so that I dont give any parts to them.

200MPH

hey what ya sellin Blackcharger440?  and I hear you on that one Skip !
Charger

TUFCAT

Quote from: 200MPH on December 25, 2010, 11:34:16 PM
hey what ya sellin Blackcharger440?  and I hear you on that one Skip !

Hey...what about me?  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: !