News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grille center I beam

Started by drifter69, January 07, 2011, 03:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter69

I just went through the whole grille resto thread and I am trying to find out if there is a chance of repairing a tear in the aluminum where the bumper pushed into the trim. I have the piece all pushed back out and would be easy to sand and pollish up but I need to fill the tear. Is this posible or am I buying a new center piece. :shruggy:

1BAD68

Is it aluminum?
If so you could use Alumaloy or just TIG weld it but I dont think it will polish up evenly.
But if you are having it plated then it would work fine.

drifter69

I thought about tig, but I dont have those skills. What is Alumaloy.

bill440rt

It would have to be welded by someone who specializes in aluminum The, ground flush and polished, then re-anodized.
At that rate it might be better just plunking down the bucks for a repro.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twodko

drifter69, I think you will be better off buying a new center piece. If it were just a dent or deep scratches I'd say work it. A hole in the trim is whole other thingy. The center section is the first thing you see looking at the grille so it should be the best you can make it. I know they're pricey, I've got to buy a pair of taillight chrome bezels I can little afford but we're talkin' Chargers dawg...........its only money.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

drifter69

I know, I need to quit being so cheep! But I tackled the rest of the trim on my car with no experience and it turned out great. I think I will buy the repo stuff and experiment with this a little to see if I can get it. I was thinking lab metal then powder coat. Worst case then I will have a spare set. Thanks guys. I am sure I will not regret getting talked out of it.