News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trans oil

Started by Yeahmate, January 11, 2011, 05:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeahmate

What trans oil is everybody running in their HP  TF 727's?
I've bee recommended  MOPAR ATF +4 for mine by the guy that rebuilt it.
It's behind 776 hp and 719 ft lbs torque engine and runs 10'' TQ full manual reverse pattern VB.
Thanks
T-Rev

Ghoste

I've been using Dexron in mine, it was mostly an availability thing that made my choice.  A lot of guys use Type F.

BBKNARF

I'm using Royal Purple with a tube of Moly Slip.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

morepower

They say ATF+4 because it's the newest chrysler fluid out. I would not run it.

I say run B&M trickshift if you want to run a performance fluid

Other than that Type F or Dexron III fluid is my choice.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

A383Wing

Dexron III is being phased out....at least from the notices we have received at our shop

morepower

Yeah some manufacturers are trying to get a lifetime transmission fluid. That just sounds rediculous.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Ghoste

What is it that you don't like about the ATF+4 stuff?

morepower

mostly the 7 dollars a quart! I really think they overvalue the fluids on these new cars all so expensive and then they tell you to change it at 100k and your fluid is already loooking and smelling bad.

Ghoste

Is the B&M Trickshift really just Type F?

FLG

Quote from: Ghoste on January 12, 2011, 02:17:47 PM

Thats what RD told me, same crap they just color it blue.

Some run straight Type F, others will run a mix of dextron and Type F as some feel type F might be too gritty and want some cushioning.

Ghoste

Quote from: FLG on January 12, 2011, 04:27:10 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on January 12, 2011, 02:17:47 PM

Thats what RD told me, same crap they just color it blue.

And add a "small" fee for their effort. :icon_smile_big:

Yeahmate

Whow, so many different combination's out there. Most people I know swear buy Dexron 111.
How I have understood it is the type F and mopar ATF don't have the slippery additives that dexron have so the the friction clutches and bands bite better and for me $50 bucks per gallon for a full synthetic oil, the Mopar stuff in cheap compared to the other fancy bands like Red line $150 a gallon.
For me it's not about life long, cause usually life behind 776 hp and 719 ft lbs torque engine ain't going to be long lived, more being a full synthetic oil, less prone to burning.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Ghoste on January 12, 2011, 09:49:24 AM
What is it that you don't like about the ATF+4 stuff?

+4 is formulated for lockup converters and OD transmissions that need extra "slippery" fluid to prevent clutch shudder and to lube the OD gears which are in near constant use.

IMHO, not the best choice for a performance 727 unless you're running really high line pressure. (200 psi)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

What do you typically use in your rebuilds John?

John_Kunkel

In the 727/904 I always use a 50/50 mix of Dexron and Type F.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.