News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found an 833 overdrive, what else might work with modifying the truck parts.

Started by 68corazonetR/T, January 26, 2011, 11:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68corazonetR/T

Found an 833 overdrive from a slant six truck today (shortbox...not sure on the year yet)   $200.... before they hack it out with the torches I'm thinking is it possible to save some of the other parts in it and make them work.  I am converting to manual.
  I asked to have the hump cut out of the tunnel, I'm not sure if it's going to work but it's not going to cost any extra so why not. Is there a big difference?
Do you think it can be worked to fit the carpet good enough for a bench?

The bell housing apparently will not work from the slant six and if I can't find a SB Od bell than I will have to modify one.
I know there is all kinds of different linkages out there but have any of you converted your set-up to work with a hydraulic slave and using the existing fork?
I will have dig out the fresh air box to the left of the brake pedal, put it back up there and see what kind of room there is but do any of you think with some handy cutting ,welding and fabricating to the truck pedal and linkages that this can be done? With or without going hydraulic?
I know that the clutch , flywheel and pressure plate are still very much available but again I can get this stuff at no extra cost and in this case free is good if it's good shape, if it bolts up and works.
Think there should be any need to get the driveshaft from the truck?
I'm told the shifter should work, my driveshaft should work, Cross member apparently is easy to convert?   
This is a 67 318 so it should have a steel crank with the crank drilled out for the pilot bearing  or is it a bushing...can anyone confirm?
Thanks again               
Living with a conscience is like driving a car with the brakes on..... FLOOR-IT !!

RallyeMike

The original cranks have bushings that you can buy new. If youre crank turns out not to be drilled, you can buy the bearing and cut the tip off the trans input shaft to make it work without drilling the crank for the bushing.

If its free, I'd get everything you can. You can scrap it or sell it later if not used. Sure, anything can be modified to fit, but at what expense of time? Other than perhaps seeing if the hump can be modified to fit and using the shifter and linkage, I'm not sure I would bother with the pedals or anything else. However, I've never tried to convert a 70-80's truck pedal to a B-body, so who knows how close it may be (???)
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

694spdRT

I remember someone modified some truck pedals to fit a car. I don't know how much work is involved, but I doubt it is a simple deal or more people would do it.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Cooter

Quote from: 68corazonetR/T on January 26, 2011, 11:59:36 PM
  Found an 833 overdrive from a slant six truck today (shortbox...not sure on the year yet)   $200.... before they hack it out with the torches I'm thinking is it possible to save some of the other parts in it and make them work.  I am converting to manual.
  I asked to have the hump cut out of the tunnel, I'm not sure if it's going to work but it's not going to cost any extra so why not. Is there a big difference?I doubt it, but you never know
Do you think it can be worked to fit the carpet good enough for a bench?Again, i doubt it

The bell housing apparently will not work from the slant six and if I can't find a SB Od bell than I will have to modify one.No, Slant 6 is WAY different
I know there is all kinds of different linkages out there but have any of you converted your set-up to work with a hydraulic slave and using the existing fork?Yesa, standard "truck" linkages will work in the B-Bodies as long as shifter and all is used.
I will have dig out the fresh air box to the left of the brake pedal, put it back up there and see what kind of room there is but do any of you think with some handy cutting ,welding and fabricating to the truck pedal and linkages that this can be done? ALOT of fab work, but can be done..Better off buying the correct pedals..Brewer's performance has just the pedals and you use your cage.With or without going hydraulic?Hydraulic clutch= PITA, using stock components.
I know that the clutch , flywheel and pressure plate are still very much available but again I can get this stuff at no extra cost and in this case free is good if it's good shape, if it bolts up and works.I think it will bolt up, but the flywheel is smaller on the slant 6 as is the clutch and will slip..
Think there should be any need to get the driveshaft from the truck?Yes, Some drivesahfts out of shortbed trucks work in the B-Bodies.
I'm told the shifter should work, my driveshaft should work,Depends on what trans you had in the 318 car? 727 will work, 904 won't unless you swap the yoke on the front (Larger splines) Cross member apparently is easy to convert? Yes, it is.  
This is a 67 318 so it should have a steel crank with the crank drilled out for the pilot bearing  or is it a bushing...can anyone confirm?Bushing..However, if you get the correct 4-speed bushing and it DOESN'T FIT, then there is what's called a "Conversion" bushing that is around .030 smaller and is used in this case..
Thanks again               
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68corazonetR/T

Thanks for the info, all in all I think this should go very well. I decided not bother with getting the hump and to order one for the car.
I'll grab the linkages, pedal and check that out as I plan to use the shifter that's there.

Cooter, excuse me.. not sure but I hope by PITA you mean piece of cake. I haven't seen the truck yet so I'm not sure really what it has but I'm guessing it's mechanical... I hope it does have a hydraulic set up.
I will probally use Passon as they are much closer to me if it comes down to ordering something.

I'm not sure yet if he's willing to throw the drive shaft in, but my car does have a 727 in it so I will ask him to keep it around for me a while.

I'm looking for the proper od bell now....Found someone with a bunch of bellhousings so I just need to look up the measurements...think I have them in another thread here somewhere
If any one knows a casting number on the bell I need that might help.
Living with a conscience is like driving a car with the brakes on..... FLOOR-IT !!

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68corazonetR/T

Ok   lol makes sense now.  So using stock hydraulic parts are expensive?  Difficult to convert? Maybe I would be better off using something else like an external slave?

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)