News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dash lights not lighting up...please help

Started by Schuler, March 06, 2006, 08:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schuler

Ok. I have a 69 Charger RT/SE. The dash lights will not light up. I turn the dial all the way up and the dome lights do come on. There is a fuse labeled inst that does not have power coming to it. On the back of the dial that adjusts the brightness of the dash lights there is only 1 prong (out of three) that shows power with a test light.

Another problem...sometimes my driver's side turn signal just turns on. This may be a prolem with the turn signal switch as it will not stick for the passenger side turn signal. (I have to hold stick in place)

I know the wiring on the junction block is far from perfect. Sometimes I have to wiggle wires to get the car to start, lights to come on, ect. Other fuses are all ok.

Can someone help me. I am completely stumped.
-Zach Schuler
1969 Charger RT/SE 14.091 @ 98.25 (spinning)
1997 Cherokee Sport 4x4 16.057 @ 84
1956 D-100 Pickup
http://www.cardomain.com/id/schuler

RAWPWR

Unfortunately the dimmer switch can turn on the dome light and still cause the dash not to light. remove the dash being real carfull not to break the lower right hand corner of the dash face. The wiring harness has two wires bolted to the amp gauge, speedometer cable needs to be disconnected and be carefull on removing the wiring plug that goes to the printed wiring board. You can loosen or break off those pins. Remove the dimmer. You can clean the wire winding and the sweeper that makes contact with them. Good luck
68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

RAWPWR

68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

DC_1

I am having the same problem with my 68....I just took out the cluster since i am restoring the gauge faces. Before I did that though I checked for power at the fuse and got nothing. Could it be the switch? All exterior lights work fine. I just have no dash lights.

Any recomendations while I have it apart?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Sydmoe on April 15, 2006, 09:11:53 PM
I am having the same problem with my 68....I just took out the cluster since i am restoring the gauge faces. Before I did that though I checked for power at the fuse and got nothing. Could it be the switch? All exterior lights work fine. I just have no dash lights.

Any recomendations while I have it apart?

Power for the dash lights comes out of the headlight switch, through the panel dimmer switch and then to the fuse.  Check for power at the fuse only if the lights are on.

The panel dimmer switch is the most likely problem if there's no power to the fuse.

Performance Car Graphics just cleaned, lubed and adjusted mine for $7.    Works like new.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

DC_1