News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird vs Daytona styling

Started by Ghoste, January 30, 2011, 11:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Okay I admit I'm biased but why does the Daytona look so much better than the Superbird?  Especially in light of the fact that the Plymouth stylists got to get their hands all over the 'bird before it was released and the Charger was just purpose built by the engineers?  :D :stirthepot:

nascarxx29

The Superbird had mandatory black vinyl roof and better nose seals than the daytona and a bigger trunk.It got headlight door decal of the RR and RR voice horn to name a few along with the 6 pack and pistol grip.But I like the body accent of the charger body lines
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

UFO

Hands down ,The side view body lines of the charger beats the runner.

stripedelete

Quote from: UFO on January 31, 2011, 12:04:49 AM
Hands down ,The side view body lines of the charger beats the runner.
done!

694spdRT

The Charger is just a better styled car to start with.

FWIW I would not turn down one of those "goofy" looking Plymouths though. :drool5:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

I was just being a smartass but it looks like the Charger really is the better looking car by virtue of popular opinion here at Charger.com:lol:

Charger-Bodie

The fact that the Daytona is all matching parts doesnt hurt either. IE fenders ,sm lights, etc.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

nascarxx29

Daytona uses a charger hood .Superbird hood modified 70 Coronet
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

held1823

the swoopy "coke bottle" styling of the charger, combined with a true fastback/short deck are what do it for me. 
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

doctor4766

Having the scoops in the doors rather than behind is a big plus as far as asthetics go, As mentioned, the coke bottle styling is what it's all about.
But remember too that the Charger is a better looking car than it's Plymouth counterpart to start with anyway.
Gotta love a '69

Richard Cranium

I once heard it explained this way; Chrysler built two wing cars, the Daytona & the other one.  :lol:
I am Dr. Remulac

kw mopar

I agree Charger has better lines and a nicer body. Compare a base Charger with a base Road Runner. No comparison. The extra decals make it for the Bird. Some kind of decal on the Daytona nose would have been great a little plain up there with just body color.

gtx6970

for me , it really depends on the color combination . I like them both.

Give me a FY1, FJ5 with black int  or Petty blue bird with white interior.

OR

A X9 and black int  OR B5 blue with either white or blue interior Daytona and I could be happy with either one

But if it's say a white bird or maybe a Y2 pre-faded yellow daytona and black interior in either one :puke:

All things being equal , lets say a B5 blue with black interior on either car, I'll take the bird. as I think it looks sleaker with the nose design and the more laid back wing, plus I like the 70 bucket seats much better.
Plus I personally have never been a huge fan of the big fat butt stripe on the daytona

hemi68charger

Being that I'm jaded and one-sided, I feel it wouldn't be appropriate for me to answer this question.............  :icon_smile_big:

Oppppps, guess I just did....................
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

62 Max

Quote from: Ghoste on January 30, 2011, 11:54:10 PM
Okay I admit I'm biased but why does the Daytona look so much better than the Superbird?  Especially in light of the fact that the Plymouth stylists got to get their hands all over the 'bird before it was released and the Charger was just purpose built by the engineers?  :D :stirthepot:

Ah,a trouble maker in every bunch.And opinion only matters if you own either one. :nana:

FJ5WING

if I were to go back in time and have a do over I would probably go with a Daytona....But since it aint happening I am more than happy with my crappy old Superbird.  :yesnod: I like the Birds nose much better with the Black outs and the undersided grill unlike the beak treatment grill on the Dodge.  :shruggy:

I would never pick a Charger over a 70 Runner, no doubt about that!  :nana: the back window on the non-500 Chargers is not a home run. Why would the designers not flush out the window from the start? That tunnel look is not a good look.  :smilielol:
wingless now, but still around.

Redbird

Both cars have their merits. I've always liked the front 3/4 view if the Superbird and the rear 3/4 view of the Daytona best. Let's face it, not too many 200 MPH drivers today. Mostly freeway drivers and occasional speeders that own the cars.

I like the asymmetrical decal on the Superbird headlight door, and the swoop of the nose and how the nose works into the hood. I prefer the Plymouth bucket seats. I like the high impact colors and the package that had power steering and power disk brakes for actual driving. The vinyl roof has always been a take or leave it with me. I really like the Dodge back window and deck lid. I've never been a fan of the woodgrain dash on a Charger or GTX, it seemed to me to be a bad idea. I like the '70 air cleaners better.

The Daytona nose has always seemed too flat on the top to me. For me, the Daytona seals look like my neighbors kid came up with the idea in shop class. The number of Daytona's that overheated should have caused a recall. The couple of Turquoise Daytona's are beyond cool to me. The coke bottle shape on the Daytona is wonderful.

Favorite car, red,orange, Turquoise or Black Hemi Daytona, 4 spd, white stripe and interior, woodgrain wheel, AM/FM, 15" hub caps, PS, Power disk brakes, 2 outside mirrors.

Least favorite car, dark green Daytona with green interior and black stripe, green steering wheel, AM, 14" wheels with whitewalls, manual steering, manual drum brakes, and a propensity to overheat at will. (no offense to someone that has this, it's just not for me).

Favorite average car, Tor-Red Superbird, White bucket interior, woodgrain wheel, 15" rallyes, 440/4 or 440/6, AM/FM, 2 outside mirrors, that doesn't overheat and one can actually drive and enjoy.

Chargerrtforme

Quote from: Ghoste on January 31, 2011, 12:17:22 AM
I was just being a smartass but it looks like the Charger really is the better looking car by virtue of popular opinion here at Charger.com:lol:
Ha. Yeah right. Few cars have a better looking rear view than the lamps and wide stripe of the Daytona.

r4daytona

I think the shorter distance from the back of the wing to the back of the car on the daytona beats the styling over the bird.

694spdRT

Quote from: Redbird on January 31, 2011, 10:23:11 AM
I've never been a fan of the woodgrain dash on a Charger or GTX, it seemed to me to be a bad idea.

I have never cared for the fake woodgrain dash or console woodgrain top plates that much either. The woodgrain dash did not come standard on the Charger in '69. You needed to order an SE for that.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

moparstuart

70 plymouth is hand down the best styled mopar ever   :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

Charger body>Belvedere body
Superbird aero parts>Daytona aero parts
Superbird colors>Daytona colors
Superbird horn>Daytona horn
Superbird build quality>Daytona build quality

Superbird wins.  Just because my second word (after 'da da') was "beep beep" doesn't mean I'm biased.

Arnie Cunningham

How much of it depends on which one you saw first in person?  Had I seen a Daytona at age 8 or 9 (never having seen a winged car before) I probably would be hooked on Daytonas.  Although, that cartoon bird pretty much seals the deal with the pre-10 age group.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

maxwellwedge

I'm good with either but am biased a liitle more towards the original, (way) lower production model.

Aero426

I prefer the Daytona styling, but wouldn't kick either out of the garage for drippin' oil.