News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440source.com

Started by doctorpimp, January 02, 2006, 07:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorpimp

Who here has purchased one of their stroker kits? 
What do you think of the quality and service. 
Any Gripes?
Besides the pistons and bearings, who makes their CRANKS and RODS? 
The site talks about the quality etc but doesn't mention manufacturer.
I want to get one of their kits but some feedback would be most helpful.
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Chryco Psycho

I have not heard anything bad about them but I also have not ordered from them , ask them who makes the crank& rods

janimm

I have 440source stroker kit. Parts were checked by machine shop, and they were very high quality pieces. The crank and connecting rods are made in China.

About the service, I really cannot say anything. I never got an answer to my emails, so I had somebody to pick up the parts and sent them to me....

Silver R/T

dont they sell some of their kits on ebay
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Rocky

I think they use Eagle for their cranks and rods, which would jive with what Janimm said about them being made in China.

doctorpimp

Quote from: janimm on January 03, 2006, 02:31:24 AM
I have 440source stroker kit. Parts were checked by machine shop, and they were very high quality pieces. The crank and connecting rods are made in China.

Well, that sounds good to me.  4340 steel is 4340 steel.

BLAM

I have read on other boards that 440 Source does not re-sell Eagle stuff.  They order direct from China as I understand it.

The statement that all 4340 is the same is a dangerous assumption.  So many more factors involved in a quality crank: how it is machined, heat treated, etc.

My feeling about stroker kits.  Stroker kits have much different thrust angles that exert some serious force on the crank, rods, pins, and piston skirts.  I haven't done the math myself but I have been told running a stroker496 at 5K RPM creates the same stresses as running a standard 440 at 7K RPM.

Just be comfortable in your choices in uderstanding the significant increases in forces that a stroker kit puts on the block and rotating assembly!
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: BLAM on January 03, 2006, 10:23:39 AM

My feeling about stroker kits.   Stroker kits have much different thrust angles that exert some serious force on the crank, rods, pins, and piston skirts.   I haven't done the math myself but I have been told running a stroker496 at 5K RPM creates the same stresses as running a standard 440 at 7K RPM.

Just be comfortable in your choices in uderstanding the significant increases in forces that a stroker kit puts on the block and rotating assembly!

More horsepower does exert more stress.   The 440 block has the capacity, so I say use it.   Upgrading to H-beam rods is advisable if you're going to make more than 500hp (which most do, on a bad day).   H-beams are cheap enough nowadays to warrant forgoing refurbishing the factory rods.  You will already be buying stronger aftermarket pistons to make the stroker combo work anyway, so that is a given. 

Even with 4.15 stroke and standard length rods, the rod ratio is still superior to the millions of big block Chebbies produced/running out there.

The fps (feet per second) the piston travels in a longer stroke 440 is greater than a factory 440 at a given rpm.   A 4.15 stroke engine at 5600 rpm has a piston speed of 64.55 fps, whereas a 3.75 stroke engine would turn 6198 rpm for a piston speed of 64.55 fps, roughly a difference of only 600 rpm.   Consequently, you don't have to turn as much rpm to make the same power level with the stroker, and in a much street friendlier package (idle, greater torque everywhere-that comes in at a lower rpm, etc.).
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

BLAM

All very valid points from MOPARHound.  I focussed on negatives, MoparHound came in with the positives!  My bad, should always present the balanced story, thanks MoparHound!
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Tom_440

I have Brandon's kit in my garage. I called him on the phone a number of time, and he answered all my questions and made some good suggestions. I have not put my stroker together yet, but I'm only looking to make around 500 hp with my mild combo so I don't think part failure will be an issue...
will keep you posted.

MOPARHOUND!

BLAM,

Hope I didn't word it too strongly. 

doctorpimp,

I have heard only good things about the 440source.com kit.  Really a guy doesn't need to consider a billet crank until past 800 hp or more.  Have read many threads on the 440source.com parts, lots of postives.  Brandon's stuff is made to his spec., and not a part repackaged from someone else.

My combo has an Eagle 4.15 crank, Manley H-beams, and Ross flat top pistons.  Brandon's kit wasn't available, (or I was unaware of it) at the time I built my engine, could have saved some $$$, and used a dished piston better suited to pump gas on the street.  Would probably have bought his 528cid kit, with the 4.375 crank.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

janimm

On my 440source kit, my machinist measured the crank before balance job. He told me that it was in specs by the thousands. And when he drilled the holes for balancing, he told me that he has never had to sharpen the drill so many times on single crank. Material was very dense and tough indeed. Very good crank, that what he told me.

About the stroker engine; I use my 493 as a daily driver during the summer time. And I love it! I've been driving some 10000 miles on it now, and just can't stop smiling while driving.  ;D  Torque is awesome and engine pulls right from the idle. If there is somebody figuring wheter to do it or not, I say do it! Just build engine with time and care, and you'll get tens of thousands of trouble free miles.  :icon_smile_cool:

BLAM

MoparHound

No sweat bud!  You are correct to bring up those points, I am glad you did.

I am myself am torn between stroke or not to stroke.  I bagged and stored my original 68 block and bought a nice 70 block to build my motor with.  I figured I would save the original block in case I ever sell the car and somebody wants to build that #s show car!  Anyway the crank that came with my 70 block is little rough and might not be useable.  If it sis unusable do I buy the striker kit or a standard 440 crank?  I am just unsure.

firefighter3931

From what i've heard and read the 440 source stuff is nice. I wouldn't have a problem using their kit in a stroker build.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: doctorpimp on January 02, 2006, 07:44:18 AM
Any Gripes?

Read this thread on Moparts.com in it's entirety (4 pages).  Quite the debate, with Brandon owner of 440source.com right in the middle of it:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2204736&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

doctorpimp

Well, I read it.
It does seem like quite a fist-fight between two opposing camps.  No real complaints from customers about quality etc.  For the price, I can't go wrong.  I will have them inspected to double-check, but it's still thousands cheaperthan the competition.

BLAM

Doctor

Please post your findings when you are done.  I may take your same path and data is good!

Thanks

RD

Quote from: MOPARHOUND! on January 04, 2006, 02:30:51 PM
Quote from: doctorpimp on January 02, 2006, 07:44:18 AM
Any Gripes?

Read this thread on Moparts.com in it's entirety (4 pages).   Quite the debate, with Brandon owner of 440source.com right in the middle of it:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2204736&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

that was a good read, though I only got to page 3.  lot of name calling going on over there.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

doctorpimp

Quote from: BLAM on January 05, 2006, 12:09:04 PM
Doctor

Please post your findings when you are done.   I may take your same path and data is good!

Thanks
Will do.
It'll be a while, I'm overseas with the Army right now.

BLAM

Doctor Stay Safe!

I am a Technical Program Manager for the Army.  My Primary customer is USSOCOM, but let me know if you ever need anything!  If I can help I will!!

Andy

doctorpimp

Thanks BLAM!
I'm with the Canadian Army, we only look in awe at those USSOCOM guys here, with their special kit etc...

If possible, can you arrange a USO show featuring Playboy Playmates to come here to Kandahar Airfield? ;)
We had a couple of Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleaders before Christmas...More please.  LOL

CFMopar

Hows Kandahar? I'll probably be their in August. Hows the Gym?
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

doctorpimp

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on January 07, 2006, 07:58:38 PM
Hows Kandahar? I'll probably be their in August. Hows the Gym?
Kandahar...
KAF (Kandahar AirField) is packed with troops: US, Canadian, Hungarian, British, Dutch etc etc etc
It's better than any Canadian camp in regards to MWR: Spa service (Beauty Parlor, Massage Therapy) Full AAFES PX, Pizza Hut, Subway (subs not transport) Burger King. There's also gift shops selling local and Kyrgese stuff staffed by russian girls from Kyrgystan  :drool5:... We did win the cold war!
The food is OK they have KBR's civilians cooking/cleaning/maintaining services.  The gym/MWR centre is HUGE.

The only sore point I have is the putrid smell that comes from the open-sewage pond every evening :puke:

Who are you with?

CFMopar

Im with the Lorne Scots a reserve unit in southern ontario. You? RCR or RCD?
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

BLAM

Sorry Doctor I have no in with Heff so I can't help on the girls!

Sounds like the airfield has come along way!  Hopefully the nightly Mortar attacks are gone!

Stay safe!

Andy

doctorpimp

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on January 09, 2006, 10:55:58 AM
Im with the Lorne Scots a reserve unit in southern ontario. You? RCR or RCD?
Right on. 
I'm originally from Mississauga/Oakville.  I used to be a MCpl in the Lorne's, A Coy & RQMS.  That was a long time ago 1990-97.
I CT/OT'd in '97 to Veh Tech.  I'm now a MCpl again with 2 GS Bn.

doctorpimp

Quote from: BLAM on January 09, 2006, 04:06:40 PM
Sorry Doctor I have no in with Heff so I can't help on the girls!

Sounds like the airfield has come along way!  Hopefully the nightly Mortar attacks are gone!

Stay safe!

Andy
Thanks Andy.
There was one rocket attack here just before I got here: in Nov. :P
That's what the Talebs do: Fire one and run away hiding.  There were no casualties though.  :scared: :mrt:
I was in Kabul from Aug-Oct and at an American FOB Oct-Dec.  KAF until the end - Mar?!?!
Nothing else new in that respect.
:icon_smile_cool: