News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holes in floor for gas pedal and dimmer switch?

Started by madmike, February 07, 2011, 09:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike

I've got a '68 Charger, a roller basket case.  Someone replaced the front floors on the drivers side and passenger side front.  They did a nice job, but I don't know if they used aftermarket floor segments or not.  The two holes in the floor, where the bottom of the gas pedal goes, are not there.  Neither are the holes for the foot activated headlight dimmer switch.  I can pretty much figure out where the holes need to go for the gas pedal, but I am concerned that if I don't get it right, a future carpet install won't line up well with the pedal.  Since I don't have any carpet, it looks like the bottom of the gas pedal, where it has a molded in rectangle, is supposed to sit in a rectangular hole oin the carpet, is that right?

As for the dimmer switch, I see an area on the fire wall, that looks factory indented for the wiring plug for the dimmer to fit in.  If I drill mounting holes there, and use that spot, would that work out well enough to 'look correct'?

Maybe a template or a few measurements would come in handy here...

thanks, Mike

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

madmike

MaximRecoil

I need the exact same thing as the OP. The link that Just 6T9 CHGR posted is great for the gas pedal, but does anyone have any pictures/measurements for the dimmer switch holes? My dimmer switch is currently just laying on the floor which prevents me from driving much at night (unless I am just driving in town where I only need low beams). I haven't wanted to just randomly drill holes somewhere to mount it because I don't want it to not line up when I get a carpet (which is a ways off in the future, because I first need to solve all the leaking problems when it rains).

A383Wing

new carpet does not come with the holes for the dimmer switch or gas pedal...you have to cut the carpet for these..as well as the seat belt hole and console mounting brackets

Bryan

MaximRecoil

Quote from: A383Wing on May 21, 2012, 09:47:26 PM
new carpet does not come with the holes for the dimmer switch or gas pedal...you have to cut the carpet for these..as well as the seat belt hole and console mounting brackets

Bryan

Well that's good to know. I'd still like to have at least a picture of a factory-mounted dimmer switch (a picture + measurements would be ideal) so I can get it in the ballpark of where it's supposed to be.

Brightyellow69rtse

i like to burn the carpet with a wood burner or a soldering iron instead of cutting it.

A383Wing

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on May 21, 2012, 11:19:31 PM
i like to burn the carpet with a wood burner or a soldering iron instead of cutting it.

yea...that's what I did with mine

I don't have a pic of my dimmer without the carpet..maybe someone else does

Bryan

Bob T

Quote from: madmike on February 07, 2011, 09:05:38 AM
I've got a '68 Charger....  Someone replaced the front floors on the drivers side and passenger side front.  They did a nice job, but I don't know if they used aftermarket floor segments or not.  The two holes in the floor, where the bottom of the gas pedal goes, are not there.  thanks, Mike

Strange sense of deja vu reading this, my holes were missing for the same reason  ;) , I spent some time next to a mates Coronet marking it out and making a cardboard template, the holes are critical for having the right inclination angle for the pedal and for the roller to work properly, looks like Chris has it covered though  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

MaximRecoil

Even just measurements would be good; for example, left-to-right distance from the kick panel to the center of the round top of the factory-mounted dimmer switch, and top-to-bottom distance from something up near the firewall to the center of the dimmer switch. That should get me close enough.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: MaximRecoil on May 23, 2012, 10:10:46 AM
Even just measurements would be good; for example, left-to-right distance from the kick panel to the center of the round top of the factory-mounted dimmer switch, and top-to-bottom distance from something up near the firewall to the center of the dimmer switch. That should get me close enough.

Even a plain picture would be good; carpet and all; preferably with the emergency brake pedal pushed down so I can see where the dimmer switch is mounted in relation to it.

A383Wing

I can take one this weekend....and measure it out as well....I gotta play musical cars on Saturday

If ya send me an email, I can send you large sized pics...the site here won't take bigger pictures

Bryan (email --> A383Wing@aol.com)

MaximRecoil

Quote from: A383Wing on May 24, 2012, 10:36:17 PM
I can take one this weekend....and measure it out as well....I gotta play musical cars on Saturday

If ya send me an email, I can send you large sized pics...the site here won't take bigger pictures

Bryan (email --> A383Wing@aol.com)

Email sent; thanks.

Bob T

Hey Mike & Maxim, this might be a help, measurements are in mm though, point to point to point
1st pic ; ( a ) 183mm is from park brake cable exterior sheath ( b ) 112mm is from innermost edge of kick panel moulding ( c ) is from brake pedal edge , all to centre of dimmer dimple
I know, the brake cable should be in the slot, this is how I got it....the dimmer is in the factory mount position though.

Other pic measurements are from inside edges of seat mount bracket
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

maxwellwedge

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Bob T

Quote from: Bob T on May 23, 2012, 03:39:32 AM
I've got a '68 Charger....  Someone replaced the front floors on the drivers side and passenger side front.  They did a nice job, but I don't know if they used aftermarket floor segments or not.  The two holes in the floor, where the bottom of the gas pedal goes, are not there.  thanks, Mike

Strange sense of deja vu reading this, my holes were missing for the same reason  ;) , I spent some time next to a mates Coronet marking it out and making a cardboard template, the holes are critical for having the right inclination angle for the pedal and for the roller to work properly, looks like Chris has it covered though  :2thumbs:

Man - over 10 years ago!
Wouldn't mind still having that black 68 R/T now still.  Right C500? More Hot Laps.  :icon_smile_big:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

C500

Quote from: Bob T on September 01, 2022, 09:10:25 PM
Quote from: Bob T on May 23, 2012, 03:39:32 AM
I've got a '68 Charger....  Someone replaced the front floors on the drivers side and passenger side front.  They did a nice job, but I don't know if they used aftermarket floor segments or not.  The two holes in the floor, where the bottom of the gas pedal goes, are not there.  thanks, Mike

Strange sense of deja vu reading this, my holes were missing for the same reason  ;) , I spent some time next to a mates Coronet marking it out and making a cardboard template, the holes are critical for having the right inclination angle for the pedal and for the roller to work properly, looks like Chris has it covered though  :2thumbs:

Man - over 10 years ago!
Wouldn't mind still having that black 68 R/T now still.  Right C500? More Hot Laps.  :icon_smile_big:

Yup, only way to 'test drive'
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."