News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 RT Hideaways Run Backwards? Loosing My Hair!

Started by bobdexter77, March 01, 2011, 02:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobdexter77

The hideaways go down with the lights on and up when off. The car was originally a 383 but now has a 440 six pack. The wiring was hacked up so we installed all new harnesses for a 440 six pack, with electronic ignition, under the hood. It starts great  but if we swap the wires at the hideaway actuator to make them work correct it will crank but only fire when you let off the key to the run position. Crazy *%#@%&. If anyone has an idea let me know, you guys are the mopar experts.

tomfed

b5blue

A: Check grounds there should be a strap in the rear of the engine that feeds ground near the volt regulator on the firewall. B: Check new harness connections, pull on each wire to connector. (I had one not crimped proper, it pulled out very easy) C: Go over your install, at cranking position it should bypass resistor to give full volts to coil to start the motor. Do this test: ignition on "Run" (engine need not be running), lights on, with doors up, then turn ignition off then lights off, doors should remain up when wired correct.  :scratchchin: Others?

Nacho-RT74

mmm lets see.

which wires are you turning around ?

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

reverse the 2 wires at the headlight motor for your "open" "close" issue...should work fine after that

HOTROD

What the Hell-Dumass !

bill440rt

That happened to me, too.
Turns out the new repro harness was made wrong. The wires were reversed. I simply reversed them again, made the splice invisible, and voila'! Works properly now.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Martian R/T

Me too, the fancy new Year One harness was made wrong. I took a couple of connectors and made a jumper harness to change the mis-made connection. Year One knew of the problem and was telling customers to fix their harness or wait months for a replacement.  :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

bobdexter77

I did switch the wires originally but the car would not start till you let the key return to the run position. I am thinking the actuator is bad causing a voltage drop on that circuit when the doors are down(bad contact in the motor). Also the batt goes dead after a couple of days. When the actuator is unpluged all is good. Anyway a new actuator is on the way, thanks for the replies and I will repost after actuator is on.