News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 BBL SUPERBIRDS with CONSOLE 4 speed - color dominant?

Started by WINGIN IT, February 08, 2011, 02:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WINGIN IT

Over the years I have only seen 4bbl  Superbirds with console 4 speeds in a few colors.
Predominantly in EV2, but never a 4bbl console 4 speed in B5.

Anyone know of any?

Of the 4 speed variety in B5 , I have seen mainly bench seat cars, rarely the bucket version.
Perhaps as it was your baseline Superbird, and buckets and console were options, along with a 6bbl for that matter.

Maybe that's why I know of at least 2 6 BBL console 4speed Superbirds in B5...

62 Max

Aero426

In the known car database, we have 5 white bucket cars in B5 ,4 bbl, stick, most with consoles.   9 black bucket cars.   I'm sure there are more out there. 

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Aero426 on February 08, 2011, 03:23:39 PM
In the known car database, we have 5 white bucket cars in B5 ,4 bbl, stick, most with consoles.   9 black bucket cars.   I'm sure there are more out there. 
Thanks, that's 14 more than I have ever seen. Awefully pretty in white too. Never seen a 4bbl B5 bird at a show with a console.
Maybe someday, but at least I know they are out there... :2thumbs:

hotrod98

I was surprised to find out that my car was a non-console car. I thought most bucket seat 4-speed cars had the console. It had a console in it when I bought it from Tom but I removed it and bought an original non-console shifter. The console's handy but I think it looks better without it. This car was originally an FY1 yellow, four barrel car.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

WINGIN IT

I actually prefer the look of console shifter, but never had a Mopar with one, only bench seat and bucket seat non-console shifters.
One day maybe.. hopefully in a bird.

limelightsuperbird

I agree with hotrod98. I just think they look more like a race car without it. But if I had a 1970 coronet r/t convertible I would want a console, fancier car, not so racy as a wing car. To each his own!
Birdman 
          Superbird 528 Hemi 5-speed  3.73 axle
          1970 Satellite 440 4-speed 4.10 axle
          1974 Challenger Rally 383 auto
          1999 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4
          1960 Imperial Le Baron
          1966 Coronet
          1958 Cadillac
          1968 Cadillac flower car
          1969 Cadillac Deville Convertibles
          1969 Cadillac Devilles
          1998 GMC Dually 
          1978 Tubbed Buick Regal T-type
          1985 Cadillac Eldo. Touring Cpe

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

xs29j8Bullitt

After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

WINGIN IT

Quote from: limelightsuperbird on February 09, 2011, 02:19:25 PM
I agree with hotrod98. I just think they look more like a race car without it. But if I had a 1970 coronet r/t convertible I would want a console, fancier car, not so racy as a wing car. To each his own!

Too funny , I had a 70 Coronet R/T Conv.  4spd, it had the non-console shifter, and I honestly didn't care for it.
Hence my desire for a console 4spd shifter , if the car had bucket seats.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on February 09, 2011, 03:40:58 PM
My FY1 colored Superbird has a console...

Cool beans sir  :2thumbs:
First FY1 4bbl with a console I have heard of.
Car to share a pic or 2  :icon_smile_big:

pettybird

After all the miles I've spent behind the wheels of our 'birds I really want what I don't have--buckets with the center armrest.  I have a bench and buckets/console, and after an hour I really want something to lean on...

hotrod98

I need to find another non-console pistol grip shifter handle that needs to be rechromed. I'm going to have a channel machined into the edge of it for the wire for my pistol grip button for my gear vendors overdrive. It will have to be rechromed after it's been cut so it doesn't have to be perfect.
Anyone have an extra?

Charles Addams

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 09, 2011, 09:04:29 PM
Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on February 09, 2011, 03:40:58 PM
My FY1 colored Superbird has a console...

Cool beans sir  :2thumbs:
First FY1 4bbl with a console I have heard of.
Car to share a pic or 2  :icon_smile_big:

I can't locate an interior pic at the moment, but will try to find one or take a new pic in the next week or so.  My Superbird is a project car at this time, but here are a few pics:

Top - The only "way-back-in-the-day" picture that I received from the original owner.

Middle - As I purchased the Superbird back in the early 1980s.

Bottom - A fairly recent picture of the Superbird awaiting it's turn at restoration.
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

WINGIN IT

Quote from: pettybird on February 09, 2011, 10:59:03 PM
After all the miles I've spent behind the wheels of our 'birds I really want what I don't have--buckets with the center armrest.  I have a bench and buckets/console, and after an hour I really want something to lean on...

Did you see that Superbird recently on E-bay? It was a console auto, with a center armrest where the console door normally hinges up. The best of both worlds :2thumbs:

I'll try and post pic.. ( take 2)

WINGIN IT

Thanks for the pics Bullitt. Looks like you have lots of nice projects there  :2thumbs:

limelightsuperbird

Birdman 
          Superbird 528 Hemi 5-speed  3.73 axle
          1970 Satellite 440 4-speed 4.10 axle
          1974 Challenger Rally 383 auto
          1999 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4
          1960 Imperial Le Baron
          1966 Coronet
          1958 Cadillac
          1968 Cadillac flower car
          1969 Cadillac Deville Convertibles
          1969 Cadillac Devilles
          1998 GMC Dually 
          1978 Tubbed Buick Regal T-type
          1985 Cadillac Eldo. Touring Cpe

oldcarnut

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 09, 2011, 11:37:19 PM
I need to find another non-console pistol grip shifter handle that needs to be rechromed. I'm going to have a channel machined into the edge of it for the wire for my pistol grip button for my gear vendors overdrive. It will have to be rechromed after it's been cut so it doesn't have to be perfect.
Anyone have an extra?
This one is in my car currently but I'm going to replace it with a new one I bought from Firefighter a while back. The chrome on it ok but it has a couple dings in it.  I'll take some close ups later if you'd like. 

moparstuart

Anyone have an extra?
there is a guy on for B bodies only selling two of them , cheap like 200 or something
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

if you're going to redo it anyway you might call Jason at Gunslinger and get one that hasn't been chromed yet--it would be cheaper and the re-chrome would cost more.

hotrod98

Quote from: oldcarnut on February 10, 2011, 12:33:37 PM
Anyone have an extra?
This one is in my car currently but I'm going to replace it with a new one I bought from Firefighter a while back. The chrome on it ok but it has a couple dings in it.  I'll take some close ups later if you'd like. 

Sure.
I just don't want to ruin a nice original that someone might use. That's why I prefer to use one that needs to be rechromed anyway. I got lucky and bought the one that I have now for a $100 from a guy on Moparts. Just the handle of course. I used the original shifter mechanism. I'm really looking forward to installing the GVO for some highway driving this summer. Too many projects...too little time.

Charles Addams

472 R/T SE

Most comfortable cruising Mopar I've owned, not only me but the passenger as well.

The funky looking shifter in the console looks cool but I really like the big ol' shifter coming straight up outta the floor.

nelson_audet

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 17, 2011, 12:52:39 AM

Most comfortable cruising Mopar I've owned, not only me but the passenger as well.

The funky looking shifter in the console looks cool but I really like the big ol' shifter coming straight up outta the floor.

My car is not a b-body but i think like you. i have a cuda 4 speed without console.. and i prefer the look of the big handle.. when you look inside of my 'cuda the first think all people see is the shifter and the big rubber boot :) it is too aggresssiivvv :)
69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue