News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Advice On Rebuilding My 318

Started by 71ChallengeHer, February 19, 2011, 09:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71ChallengeHer

71ChallengeHer

So, I guess I can't use the valve springs we put on the heads ?  :'( :'(

64dartgt

FYI I bought a 340 that may have a Thumpr cam in it, based on a verbal from the guy I bought it from.  I looked up the specs and the cam doesn't seem like it will generate enough vacuum for accessories like power brakes.  It is sold by Comp, so give them a call to discuss before purchasing.  I plan on pulling it with zero miles if it is the Thumpr, but the machine shop is saying it will be May before they even tear it down.

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: 64dartgt on February 26, 2011, 08:01:41 PM
FYI I bought a 340 that may have a Thumpr cam in it, based on a verbal from the guy I bought it from.  I looked up the specs and the cam doesn't seem like it will generate enough vacuum for accessories like power brakes.  It is sold by Comp, so give them a call to discuss before purchasing.  I plan on pulling it with zero miles if it is the Thumpr, but the machine shop is saying it will be May before they even tear it down.
Thanks, for the info. But I think I will go with the VooDoo cam that Ron suggested . Plus I have manual brakes. Just depends on money right now.  :cheers:

TUFCAT

I'd be VERY happy with the VooDoo cam Ron selected, and I mean VERY happy!  :2thumbs:

I wanted to use the same camshaft in my 318.... before I decided to build a 383.

Someday, somehow, if I ever found myself building a 318 I would definately use this cam - and surprise a lot of people. :yesnod:

You'll love the sound and performance of this camshaft! :icon_smile_tongue:

With the right combination of parts and a good torque convertor, your 318 won't give up anything to a stock 340 Chally. ;)  

Don't tell the other guy he just got beat by a 318 when you win! :icon_smile_wink:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on February 26, 2011, 07:26:20 PM
So, I guess I can't use the valve springs we put on the heads ?  :'( :'(

Jackie, as long as the springs you used have the same specs as the Comp 901's then yes they could be used. If in doubt then use the ones i recommended. It's important to match the springs to the cam profile to avoid nasty valvetrain failures  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs