News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vacuum is important if ...

Started by Headrope, January 03, 2006, 02:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

not late ignition timing...valve timing...i.e.   perhaps  bad lifter,  worn cam ,  weak valve springs, or loose rocker arms.  It sounds like a leak to me...but that is another possibility.

mikepmcs

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on May 18, 2006, 08:28:46 PM
not late ignition timing...valve timing...i.e.   perhaps  bad lifter,  worn cam ,  weak valve springs, or loose rocker arms.  It sounds like a leak to me...but that is another possibility.
crap hope i got a leak
explain to me the heat riser thing.  #2 cylinder right.  there are two holes on that side in between the headers(one by# 2 and one by# 6) and i can feel gasket there only. am i way off. shouldn't the heat riser port be somewhere in there or abouts.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TylerCharger69

if you have headers.....never mind the heat riser thing...it's the least likely candidate anyway.   On stock exhaust manifolds....on the passenger side, just before the outlet,  the heat riser is sort of a butterfly valve that "somewhat closes" during a cold start up.   What it does is,  it pushes hot exhaust gases back up through the crossover tunnel on the intake to warm the fuel while the engine is cold.   It also travels past that into the LH exhaust manifold too.  The manual choke gets heated up too.   These things are a pain in the ass, as they corrode,  and have been known to get stuck open, which is no big deal, or stuck shut, which  will cause troubles, and possibly cause a vacuum leak at that crossover point on the intake.......But   you have headers...so...dispense with the heat risor theory. ;)   That 484/484  Purple Shaft stick you have isn't a Hoover as far as vacuum goes.   I had the same cam, and trashed it for that, and failure reasons.    I went with the Engle K-56 and my vacuum is now steady as hell  at 20 Hg.   It  helps dramatically on fuel mileage too  during leisurely  driving.

dodge freak

To check for a vacuum leak first plug ALL hoses up, pcv if you have it, brake booster, vacuum advance, ect. after you are sure the hose have no leaks then start the motor and check the vacuum. Sometimes its a bad brake booster-its happen to me brakes work fine-the pedal did get firm after the motor was shut off but I did not notice it at first and mine was only 7 months old from auto zone. A bad pcv valve or vacuum advance also could do it. You can check to see if those items, not the pvc, hold vacuum with a $20.00 hand held pump. Mine booster was so bad it did not hold any. Just something else to look for.

mikepmcs

Quote from: dodge freak on May 18, 2006, 10:11:19 PM
To check for a vacuum leak first plug ALL hoses up, pcv if you have it, brake booster, vacuum advance, ect. after you are sure the hose have no leaks then start the motor and check the vacuum. Sometimes its a bad brake booster-its happen to me brakes work fine-the pedal did get firm after the motor was shut off but I did not notice it at first and mine was only 7 months old from auto zone. A bad pcv valve or vacuum advance also could do it. You can check to see if those items, not the pvc, hold vacuum with a $20.00 hand held pump. Mine booster was so bad it did not hold any. Just something else to look for.

i'm on it, i'll plug the pcv tomorrow(isolate)  it's kind of funky anyways.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

Mike, erratic timing can also be caused by a worn bushing in the distributor shaft or slop in the oil pump drive gear. Low engine vacuum shouldn't cause erratic timing.  ;)

Try advancing the base timing (at idle). Keep advancing the timing until the engine stops speeding up and then back it off a hair. Check the timing at idle and full advance to see what you've got. Bigger cams like more spark lead....especially if the engine has lower compression. If you have the 284 cam in there it will want more than 12* of advance at idle. It should probably be in the 16-18* range. After the timing is set ; simply adjust the idle speed down to the desired level. 850-900 rpm should be just about right (in gear).

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

Mike, I just had a very similar problem. I have a 69 383 w/ the 484 MP cam and a new Eddy AFB 600CFM (I think that is a performer but and not sure). I had horrible vacuum (around 7 or 8) and the car ran poorly. I took it to an old mopar dealer and the guy switched vacuum ports on the carb base to the passenger side one and BOOM! the motor now has 15" at idle and runs great (less my recent poppig issue). Anyway, the instructions said that the passenger port was for emission controlled motors so I didnt use it I used the drivers port (plust it had the vacuum as they suggested in the directions).

Anyway, I was embarrassed but greatful that it was as simple as that. It's worth a try...

mikepmcs

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 18, 2006, 10:46:31 PM
Mike, erratic timing can also be caused by a worn bushing in the distributor shaft or slop in the oil pump drive gear. Low engine vacuum shouldn't cause erratic timing.  ;)

Try advancing the base timing (at idle). Keep advancing the timing until the engine stops speeding up and then back it off a hair. Check the timing at idle and full advance to see what you've got. Bigger cams like more spark lead....especially if the engine has lower compression. If you have the 284 cam in there it will want more than 12* of advance at idle. It should probably be in the 16-18* range. After the timing is set ; simply adjust the idle speed down to the desired level. 850-900 rpm should be just about right (in gear).

Ron
Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 18, 2006, 10:46:31 PM

Ron

Thank you both so much for that great info and everyonew else as well.  I will try these tomorrow.  as far as the vac ports on the carb if you are talking about the front of the base, the driver's is plugged already and the pass side has the vac advance line in it.  i don't know of any other vac ports that i should hook too.  i don't have a stock air cleaner(summit chrome) so no other vac ports that i know of. I really appreciate the response fellas and i will follow through on suggestions. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
v/r
Mike

mikepmcs

ok i adjusted the timing to what i think is around 16*+, the car never wanted to stop revving up so i stopped.  the timing tab has 4 division the second one down(as i'm looking at it appears to be 10*btdc, so what si the next line down, i'm guessing 15* and i went well below that line.  i don't want to hurt something but i wasn't experiencing any knock or anything.  took it out for a very short run and still can't really see/feel any difference.  it has speed but not like i remember a 383 having in my past. should i keep racking the timing?? is there a danger zone i should be looking out for, is it possible the cam degree was put in wrong(does that make sense).

My vac is steady 10 inches now though i guess that's a plus. i put a different vac gauge on it and the needle doesn't jump.  getting there slowly.  if you don't have any more suggestions i'm gonna start tuning the 600 eddy perf.  i got the cal kist and i think my metering rods are stuck in the rich position.  i'm gonna try a weaker step up spring first then go to 1 stage lean and so forth.  the car does run rich and i've all but slammed the IMS screws shut.
thanks again
v/r
Mike

dodge freak

When you keep advancing the timing till the motor stops speeding up or slows down you need to have the mechanical advance all the way in. That means 3000-4000 rpms , take a timing light and look at something on the balancer to see when the advance is all the way in and then speed the motor up a little more so you now it does not back off. Then move the dist. till the motor stops reeving. You are not looking for 10,15 20 degrees you are setting total timing with out vacuum, abiout 34-38 degress. Make sure the vacuum advance is unhook if you have it. I wear some ear muffs make for gun shooting cause it is loud and I am weak I guess. After you are done you might what to see what the timing is when idling but it really does not matter. This way when you are driving it though the gears the timing is right on. You may find if you change the springs in the dist. the motor will have more low - mid range power if it does not ping, but for now just try to set the total timing.

deputycrawford

A couple of things here. One: you really need a timing light with the advance knob on the back of it. You put it at 36 degrees and rev the engine to about 3000 rpms and set the timing mark on the engine at zero degrees. Thats because the knob on the back of the timing light has done the rest for you. You then idle the engine back down and rev it slowly again. You want the timing mark to go back to 36 degrees by 2500 to 3000rpms. That means you might have to go to lighter springs in the distributor. I had to because mine felt sluggish like yours does. I wouldn't start with the carb until the timing is set. You might go to a mechanic and tell him to set it for you and show you. He should have an adjustable light. I bought a good one from Craftsman for under $70. You will have it forever and won't hurt an engine from it. I think that is worth it.
     Two: Eddy carbs need at least 16 inches of vacum at idle. You have 10. That means the Eddy carb is not using the idle circuit and you will have a permenant hesitation at part throttle tip in. You will probably not be able to tune that carb that well. The cam has too little vacum. I had the same carb and was told by the Eddy tech line the very same thing. I now have a Mighty Demon carb and will never give it up.
     Get the timing right first. I feel that is crucial. Then go carb. You are almost there but remember, you don't have a stock engine. Throw away the stock rules.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

TylerCharger69