News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stupid question about carb/intake.

Started by moparsons, March 04, 2011, 11:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparsons

I just bought a 79 dodge pick up from my brother. Just before I started to drive it home....Some idiot (might have been me but I won't tell ;)) dropped a nut into the carb. The truck was running, but imediatley was shut down. It's an edelbrock performer 600 on a stock 360 4 bbl intake. I tried looking and probing with a magnet into the carb, and couldn't find it. It is an air cleaner nut...not a wing nut but just a small regular nut.
    So.....the question is.....where would this nut likely end up? Do you think it made it through the carb into the intake? Any further than that?  I'm going tomorrow to start at the top and work my way down to find it....and just wanted to see what I might be in for.

chargd72

Ouch.  Most likely made it thru the carb, intake and into the heads.  If that got caught in a valve there's no telling how far the damage goes down  :rotz:

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

moparsons

I'm hoping since it only ran a second and I didn't hear anything....that I haven't junked anything. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. :pullinghair:

moparsons

Oh yea.....this motor only has about 3,000 miles on the rebuild  :brickwall: ever have one of those days? :icon_smile_blackeye:

68RED4SPEED

"ever have one of those days?" Yahh and they keep coming up occasionally.

nvrbdn

well you could get lucky and its in the intake or just inside the head. wont take a second to suck it all the way to the valve though. good luck.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

moparsons

Thanking my lucky stars!!! I found the nut sitting in the back bowl of the carb....didn't have to take anything apart...just held the flap open with a small screw driver, and retrieved it with a telescoping magnet.
   Then made the 2 and a 1/2 hour drive home with no issues!  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :cheers:

bobs66440