News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird color of battery tray

Started by swissmopar, March 05, 2011, 03:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swissmopar

Hi,
Since I would like to have an original looking engine bay (as close as possible) I am changing the hoses, belts & battery, changing the fluids, restoring the leaking brake master cylinder and alternator. In the June 2011 edition of Mopar Action I found some pictures about further details but the pics could not answer my following questions:

(1) is the battery tray in the same color as the car, as the engine or is it black?
(2) are the alternator brackets black or in the same color as the engine?
(3) my 440-4 has on the driver side an exhaust manifold shield - is it gray in color as the exhaust manifolds?
(4) are the power brake booster and master cylinder black including the master cylinder cover?
(5) does anyone have multiple detailed pictures of an original engine bay?

Thank you for your help! I will post pictures of my engine bay as soon I have fixed the most important things?

Karl

nascarxx29

1.Battery tray was bolted in and painted underhood body color.Underneath and topside tray area never recieved much paint on it.
The battery hold down cross bracket was black though
2. Alt brackets black except the alt natural grey spacer
3.Manifolds recieved engine paint that burned off.The shield was bolted on the manifold
4 All black painted as one unit
5. Maxwell wedges unrestored superbird would be a good reference for you
Hope this helps havent owned as superbird since the 80-s .
and going by what I can recall .So double check

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,77907.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

swissmopar

I need to be sure about the heat stove. I understood that the manifolds received engine paint that burned off.The stove/shield was bolted on the manifold. Was the heat stove also in engine paint or was it black? And the flexible hose?
Thank you! Karl

WINGIN IT

Here is something for reference:  http://www.moparaction.com/Article/JIMS_BIRD/index.html

Not that its ultimate reference, but it'll give you an  example

Aero426

Quote from: swissmopar on March 06, 2011, 10:06:26 AM
I need to be sure about the heat stove. I understood that the manifolds received engine paint that burned off.The stove/shield was bolted on the manifold. Was the heat stove also in engine paint or was it black? And the flexible hose?
Thank you! Karl

You can paint the heat stove in a high temperature black.   Even if it is a bit glossy, it will dull up pretty quick from the heat.    Same with the flex hose.   

nascarxx29

Jims 6 pack Superbird is the second car .Ive seen that had the exhaust manifold stove still there . Jims stove appears like both flash rust on top and evidence of black near the front of shield
http://www.mmcdetroit.com/ Other underhood details on this site and Roger Gibsons site
http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/product_review.htm.That may help you with your underhood details
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Aero426 on March 06, 2011, 05:30:51 PM
Quote from: swissmopar on March 06, 2011, 10:06:26 AM
Thank you! Karl

You can paint the heat stove in a high temperature black.   Even if it is a bit glossy, it will dull up pretty quick from the heat.    Same with the flex hose.   

True - The heat stove was bolted on after the engine (with exhaust manifolds on) was painted. The heat stove is a given on all 4BBL engines.....a factory boo-boo on a few 6BBL engines.

Arnie Cunningham

The brownish flex hose is still available - I think I got mine at Champion auto.  The shiny metal one is incorrect from what I have seen.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.