News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Dodge Charger Coil Overheating AGAIN HELP

Started by irish_in_ny, March 05, 2011, 12:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_in_ny

Hello everyone, I posted a similar question to this before but I still am experiencing coil overheating problems. I start my car and after 5-10 mins of running it gets almost untouchable hot. Any idea on what could be wrong? It cuts out on me while driving if it gets to a dangerously hot level. I've asked my mechanic, he didn't know anything, I read the '73 Dodge manual and didn't get anything there either. I have replaced the electronic ignition, the wires coming and going to it, if that makes any difference. Can someone help me, please! :)

FLG

Do you have a ballast resistor? Whats the voltage at the coil in the run position with the car off and with the car on?

irish_in_ny

Thanks for the reply. I have a new ballast resister on the car. I'm not sure on the voltage because I do not have a voltage regulator, I need to go out and buy one. This coil issue has just been annoying because I've had the car since August and can barely drive it because of the coil  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

irish_in_ny

Ok time for an update:

I went to my local auto shop and the guy had an old but new voltage tester called " Suntune Inductive Electronic Ignition Analyzer" but it does all kinds of tests. The box has the year 1979 on it haha.

The tester found that the 3 new coils I bought over the past 2 months are no good, they have been burned out.
I think the issue is that the previous owner over the years had wires jointed, spliced, and replaced and it is hard to tell what's what any more. I have a guy coming on Tuesday to try and work on the problem.  :brickwall:

FLG

You need to use a multi meter and find out what kind of voltage your getting, if its too high be careful because you can hurt other electronics. You also need a voltage regulator for the alt so its outputs the proper voltage.

bobs66440

Yeah, I think it's only supposed to have 7 volts or so going to the coil.

charger Downunder

Have you been using the right coil. One with R eg  Bosch GT40 R (Resister)
[/quote]

irish_in_ny

Thanks for the comments guys, I have gotten the coil overheating problem sorted out thanks to forum member FLG.
Right now the Charger just wants to die out (and does sometimes) when you step on the gas from take off no matter how lightly you do it.

FLG

John,

Check if the choke is hanging up, i remember mentioning that it might. I'll try to get up there soon again and work out the kinks, make sure i get up earlier cause they take while  :rofl:

4aThrill

sounds like you need to change the power valve in the carb this will help out the car from not dieing at take off and other issues