News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering column help needed

Started by jlatessa, March 01, 2011, 08:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlatessa

Hi folks, dis-assembling steering column from 70 RT auto, console shift.

It looks like someone has been in it before because when I released the column from the shift housing with the set screw,
the wave spring and a retaining ring with 4 tabs (bent up), a formed shoulder, and a bunch of indentations slid down the shaft
with it.

I can see the wave spring on the manual, but I'm at a loss on how the tabbed ring is used.

As long as I'm here, can I eliminate the steering shaft lock plate and nylon bushed shift lever at the bottom?

Joe Latessa :scratchchin:
Kirtland, Ohio

b5blue

Joe if I remember right the disk for the lock is needed for/as a spacer in the column. (The whole mess is held by that and the assembly up to the steering wheel nut.) Just remove the other stuff like the latch assembly in the top of the column housing and the actuator tube going down the center. Take care not to separate the 2 sections of the collapsible steering shaft, it's held in place by injected plastic and is a pain to repair. Reinstalling is tricky Ma Mopar had a gauge that fit over the steering shaft to center the shaft in the bottom of the tube down by the coupler. Without it (the gauge) it's easy to end up misaligned and have the steering wheel rubbing on the column housing.

jlatessa

Thanks B5BLUE that helps, so I take it the smaller dia. sheet metal tube, the one with the lever attached at the bottom is not needed?
Then I don't need the large nylon bushing/bearing at the bottom held by the spring ring either?
Should I fab some type of sealing ring near the bottom as shown in schematic to keep things clean?

I'm learning thanks to helpful people like you, I'll pass it on too when I can.

Joe :2thumbs:

b5blue

Some use the black foam tubes like A/C lines use. (to keep dirt out)

jlatessa

Does any one still stock or repro the rubber isolator that surrounds the upper steering column bearing on a 70 Charger?

Thanks

joe :scratchchin:
PS I found that the ring with the tabs fits into the top of the collapsable tube and holds the wave spring against the lower housing.

b5blue

I've not found any, even bought a new bearing hoping it came that way. No such luck. I reused the old one and am thinking of using the "Liquid Tape" insulator stuff you dip tool handles in the next time I pull the column out.  :scratchchin:

jlatessa

Thanks Neal, I was thinking along the same lines but using RTV silicone, putting a small bead at the bottom
of the housing, then bedding the bearing into it part way.
Then a small bead around the edge on top.
Might be more resilient than the dip.

Joe

b5blue

jlatessa

Here's my plan; 1. Measure how far down into the housing the bearing has to go to leave room at the bottom for some of the RTV.

2. Find a size of wire that centers the bearing in the housing, and cut 4 pieces to put vertically around the bearing after bedding it
  into the first application of RTV and checking for proper depth.

3. Apply last bit of RTV around top, making sure it fills all the gaps around the circumference.

4. After RTV is set, pull wires out and hopefully feel proud of myself!

Joe

b5blue

jlatessa

God Bless America!!!!
Had everything together and let the bottom of the steering shaft hit the floor too hard!!!!!!
We know what happens then, don't we?

I was so mad I just turned out the lights and left the workbench before I screamed.

Well, it'll all come apart AGAIN in a few days and I'll drill a couple of holes and put nylon screws
through the shafts and be much more CAREFUL in the future.

I think that will work.

I need a drink! :brickwall:

Joe

b5blue

"Brads Auto parts" may still have some NOS repair kits in stock, it looks like a tube of threadlocker.   :2thumbs:

jlatessa

Thanks Neal, I'll try that first, do you have their web address?
A search had no definitive results.

Joe :cheers:

b5blue

jlatessa

Thanks, Neal
I went to his site, but didn't find the repair kit listed.
I phone them tomorrow in the hope that he still has one.

If not, I'll go the way of nylon screws, some small diameter should give me a shear limit within reason.

Joe