News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do the woodgrain console kits work?

Started by Spartan, December 09, 2005, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

Maybe I will abandon it all together,  My woodgrain on the center console has some little bumps along the edges in spots so I figured I would get the woodgrain kit and replace it. I figured it was some molded piece that screwed into the back of the console piece. Well, what I got was a long sticker..... Is what is on the console currently actually a sticker and how did you remove it?  I was trying to perfection I guess and the little bumps bug me.  If its not going to turn out I will leave it as is.  I just thought it was more rust or 20 years of crap built up under it.....anyway, any help is always appreciated.

Thanks.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Just 6T9 CHGR

The decals are applied to aluminum plates on the console top, much like the aluminum plates on the SE dash bezels.

I believe originally the wood grain was silkscreened on the aluminum like the SE dash bezels.

The "bumps" you are feeling are more than likely pitting/corrosion of the aluminum plates
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Spartan

ah, that would make sense since they are all along the the edges.  How do you get the old woodgrain off?
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Doc74

Heat, for all stickers, decals and other glued things use heat to soften the glue and you can pull it clean off, a hairdryer works just fine.

jaak

buy some aircraft (paint) stripper in a spray can. about 4-5 bucks, melts the old woodgrain right off, I did it with mine.

69hemi

Quote from: jaak on December 16, 2005, 11:34:44 PM
buy some aircraft (paint) stripper in a spray can. about 4-5 bucks, melts the old woodgrain right off, I did it with mine.

I agree with the stripper idea.  Just get the kit from Performance Car Graphics and follow the directions.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Spartan

Thanks guys.   I got the Y1 kit for christmas.