News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

speaking of shocks...

Started by Bandit72, May 15, 2006, 11:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

i just ordered a pair of monroe shocks for the front of my charger, i've heard good and bad things about monroe so i figured i'd see what you all thought before i went and got them

later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

limey

Never had monroe on my Charger but had them on my Land Rover (Discovery) for several years. They stood up to some punishing off road use (I compete in trials) and were ok. But that is all they were. I guess they do the job with no worries, but when I changed them I really noticed the difference. Much sharper road handling - but then as I say, this was on an off road vehicle and they probably aren't comparable. Quality is good though.
Limey
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

Mike DC

I think there's more than one model of Monroe shocks for these cars, though.  Different shock models can act very differently.

HPP

I wouldn't even bother with a simple oil shock any more unless it was an adjustable kind. Monroe offers several gas shocks that will work fine if the suspension under your car is all stock. If you have stepped up any of the spring rates though, you'll find they lack the muscle to adequately control  the motion of the components and their life will be short lived. For amped  up suspensions you need comparable shocks. Think of it this way, the shock is to the suspension what a cam is to an engine. It determines all the operating characteristics and overall demeaner of the system. If you upgraded the rockers, pushrods, and springs in you engine, you woudn't expect the stock cam to adequately use all the potential of the parts, so you upgrade the cam too. Shocks are the same way.