News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing Brake Booster

Started by randy73, March 12, 2011, 07:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

Anybody got some good tips on replacing booster and M/C?

72Charger-SE

Randy, I am not sure I can offer any 'great tips' but I can tell you what I am doing since I was working on that very same thing tonight.  I used penetrating oil on all bolts and nuts so as not to strip or round any of them off.  I removed the cross support and the hood hinges (hood was already off) so as not to smash my hands and make it much easier to work.  I then removed the four (plus 2) bolts holding the master cylinder to the booster.  I removed the metal linking strap from the booster and removed the outer shell with a bit of assistance from a flat screw driver and a few taps with a hammer.  Then I began a process that I am still working with.  I was able to remove three of the four bolts holding the booster in place but the top one was not reachable.  Since I was going to remove the dash and steering column I began unbolting the steering column.  I removed the five retaining bolts on the firewall and the four retaining bolts supporting the steering column vertically.  Now I have it completely loose and ready to remove but it will not separate from the steering box.  It would appear that a 'roller pin' is the culprit in preventing the complete removal of the column.  I tried several tools and allen wrenches that I have but none of them did the trick.  I need some advice on what tool is needed to get the roller pin out so I can completely remove the steering column.  Anyway, not sure that is good advice but it is what I have done to this point.   
Regards,
72Charger-SE