News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another Charger is going to die tomorrow

Started by 69bronzeT5, March 11, 2011, 10:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Some of you may know the name Corey Eubanks. He was a stunt driver on the Dukes TV show and is one of the top stuntmen in the movie & TV industry to this day. I have him on Facebook and he usually posts pictures of his current stunt jobs. He posted this picture today. It's for the upcoming Fast & Furious 5..... :'(

"Tomorrow I'm going to cannon-roll this bus into the Charger at 65 mph."

"The bus tipped the scale @ just over 42,000 pounds! 65 mph impact! I'm pretty sure the Charger is going to lose this one!"
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

terrible one

Too bad but I WOULD like to see the raw footage or pictures of that stunt when he does it! Post up if he provides more pics!

MoparManJim

Cody, the Fast5 is coming out in late April in theaters. April 29 2011 I do believe. So how can this be for that film? Might be for Fast6 though. 

69chargerrt440

When your Charger is sideways, just give it more gas!

69bronzeT5

Quote from: MoparManJim on March 11, 2011, 10:44:57 PM
Cody, the Fast5 is coming out in late April in theaters. April 29 2011 I do believe. So how can this be for that film? Might be for Fast6 though. 

He said it was for FAST5.....which does come out on April 29th.

greenpigs

Is the delay studio dictated?

I wonder if it is the same Charger as in the picture or a shell of one?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

MoparManJim

Quote from: greenpigs on March 11, 2011, 11:11:27 PM

Well, I just asked that very question kinda. Lets see what he says.

MoparManJim

Quote from: greenpigs on March 11, 2011, 11:11:27 PM

Follow update to my other reply.

He said "It's just a shell. The really nice Charger is in a safe place."

nevadadrifter

It looks like this scene should be the opening for the next film. Here's the final scene of the last film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m662lhu6F60&feature=related

ChgrSteve67

Its not uncommon that some scenes are shot or re-shot durring the editing phase of a movie.

It could be that they didn't like the ending and are creating a more dramatic death for the Charger.

DustinSimmonds

Ah man, this is sad!  :'( At least it is only a shell and not a real Charger. It gives me a little more faith in Hollywood.

Richard Cranium

When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be another General Lee conversion thread.
I am Dr. Remulac

Cooter

When is everybody gonna be "Sad" at the REAL culprit here??

Hollywood isn't to blame.....They tear up classic cars...It is a fact..Everybody knows this...In fact, when there's a scene that requires tearing up of a car, the classic musclecars get it long before the imports..The REAL culprit here is the dou**bag that sells his/her ride to hollywood...Knowing full and well what is gonna happen to it...Yeah, sure they will "only" use it for "Stills"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Richard Cranium

Quote from: Cooter on March 12, 2011, 07:22:24 AM

Hollywood isn't to blame.....They tear up classic cars...It is a fact..Everybody knows this...In fact, when there's a scene that requires tearing up of a car, the classic musclecars get it long before the imports..The REAL culprit here is the dou**bag that sells his/her ride to hollywood...Knowing full and well what is gonna happen to it...Yeah, sure they will "only" use it for "Stills"...

I'm sure that they're not destroying an original 440-6 or Hemi car that's pictured above and from what I can see it looks like a POS to begin with. So why is the seller a douche bag?  You can't save every old 318 car, and who really, would want to? 
I am Dr. Remulac

sixty8charger

hey i am saving a 318 car..  but its getting some R/T stuff put back in.
Jayson

vancamp

Quote from: DustinSimmonds on March 12, 2011, 04:14:22 AM
Ah man, this is sad!  :'( At least it is only a shell and not a real Charger. It gives me a little more faith in Hollywood.
shell just means no engine, interior etc its a real charger

tan top

Quote from: vancamp on March 12, 2011, 08:06:08 AM

body shell the most important part  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

MoparManJim

Quote from: sixty8charger on March 12, 2011, 07:50:37 AM

Same here, but not with the R/T stuff though. I notice he likes to insult people on here. Maybe he would be more "happy" if they took the charger and "blew" it up instead of flipping the bus onto it.  :smilielol:

Mike DC

That scene looks like the Vinnie/jailbreak scene at the end of the last movie. 

If so, it suggests that the flat primered Charger (which we know for a fact shows up later in #5) is a POST-bus-wreck version of the same car.  Man, Vinnie's Charger is turning out to have more lives in it than the General Lee. 

--------------------------------------

Dynacorn will repop the 68-70 shell sooner or later.  This stuff fails to bother me too much anymore in the big picture.  Technically restorable Chargers die on a regular basis all over the USA from plain old decay.   

DustinSimmonds

Quote from: tan top on March 12, 2011, 08:36:50 AM
Quote from: vancamp on March 12, 2011, 08:06:08 AM

body shell the most important part  :yesnod:
Then thats just as bad! My understanding was that it was just like a replica. I didn't really think it through I guess.  :shruggy:

TruckDriver

Quote from: Richard Cranium on March 12, 2011, 06:44:14 AM
When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be another General Lee conversion thread.

Same thing I thought. They should make it illegal to destroy classic cars in movies  :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Richard Cranium

Quote from: MoparManJim on March 12, 2011, 12:02:10 PM
Quote from: sixty8charger on March 12, 2011, 07:50:37 AM

Same here, but not with the R/T stuff though. I notice he likes to insult people on here. Maybe he would be more "happy" if they took the charger and "blew" it up instead of flipping the bus onto it.  :smilielol:

If voicing an opinion and telling it like it is is insulting, I plead guilty. Kumbaya isn't for me. Yes, blowing a vehicle up  is definately more exciting than tipping a bus over onto a car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxm_qpKh7Jw
I am Dr. Remulac

2Gunz

I actually saw the cars in person the other day.

There are at least 2 cars. The "picture" car and the crash car.

The car pictured in that photo is not the crash car. Thats the picture car.

The photos I attached are of the picture car.

The crash car I checked out.

The car is pretty much stripped of anything useful.
Its in a fast paint job that looks good at 30 feet.
It has fiberglass fenders.
The drive train is gone.
The front is hacked up and the grille is welded in.
The frame is actually in decent shape and seems pretty solid.
The floor is rusted through in several spots.
They told me it has a decent amount of bondo.
It has steel wheels and crap tires.
I didnt look inside and it has jet black (maybe spray painted windows) but I suspect thats all gone too.
It has hood pins holding the trunk down.

Anyway Im not sure I would lose much sleep over this one.

Could it be restored ...... sure .... but if I where going to restore one I would pick a MUCH better car.

bill440rt

Sorry, I disagree.
The "real" douchebags are the ones at the box office that are paying to see these crappy films. It feeds Hollywood, who in turn make more movies like this destroying more classic cars. The more people that line up to see them, the more Hollywood will make. It's that simple.
Even IF the car was a turd, if it had solid rails & the unibody structure was good then it would be a candidate worth saving. Or, could be used as a parts donor for something else worth saving.
Sacrificing these cars as donors for others is one thing, but to destroy them for amusement is something else.
Rant off.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

And not only is the studio a collective idot for destroying another Charger but the stuntman is bragging it up.  Great.  ::)

mikesbbody

Quote from: bill440rt on March 12, 2011, 10:03:14 PM

Sorry, I disagree.
The "real" douchebags are the ones at the box office that are paying to see these crappy films. It feeds Hollywood, who in turn make more movies like this destroying more classic cars. The more people that line up to see them, the more Hollywood will make. It's that simple.
Even IF the car was a turd, if it had solid rails & the unibody structure was good then it would be a candidate worth saving. Or, could be used as a parts donor for something else worth saving.
Sacrificing these cars as donors for others is one thing, but to destroy them for amusement is something else.
Rant off.

I agree! the thing is, not long ago there was a Thread "who's gonna see the next F&F Movie" and almost Everyone said they would  ::) now People are "Sad" this one's gonna get wrecked...I don't get it?

Brass

God I hate what they did with the front end and grill.  It looks like they tacked in a bunch of old speaker mesh.  :eek2:

MoparManJim

Quote from: Brass on March 13, 2011, 05:27:04 PM
God I hate what they did with the front end and grill.  It looks like they tacked in a bunch of old speaker mesh.  :eek2:

Hey, at least they are using a charger in films now days instead of imports like they always did, even though the old cars are getting hurt (I don't like it). It could be worst, they could have used a charger with no grill at all in the charger either or no front end stuff at all, OR they could have just went with an all out black sheild that could have looked alot worst  :icon_smile_wink: :shruggy:

69bronzeT5

An update....

Only one of the 3 cannons in the bus went off during the stunt and flipped the bus onto its side so we're going to do it again on Monday. But I'm sorry to say the bus did distroy another Charger...

bill440rt

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 13, 2011, 07:55:10 PM
An update....

Only one of the 3 cannons in the bus went off during the stunt and flipped the bus onto its side so we're going to do it again on Monday. But I'm sorry to say the bus did distroy another Charger...

Yay!! Let's do it again! Let's do it AGAIN!!!!

:'( :rotz:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mike DC

Frustrating to say the least.  

:flame:

Cross your fingers everyone.  If they're reshooting it a week from now (and not today) there's a possibility that they might straighten out that Charger shell.  It's not the most likely scenario, but if they've got much time invested in rigging it for the stunt then it's at least conceivable.  Hollywood has done stuff like that before and the Charger only has to be a rough empty shell for this job.  

Repairing or replacing the bus is probably gonna delay them.  Unless they already had a second stunt bus standing ready, they're gonna be forced to take at least a few days before trying the stunt again.

lexxman

Do they always have to kill the charger? :-\ I think this is the running joke...how meany time can we kill the car and then bring it back. :scratchchin:
Can wait to see the movie :2thumbs:

chargergirl

Stopped watching Burn Notice when they killed the Charger. I was upset that they killed the car and pretty much ranted for a bit...off and on...for weeks! Don't like to see a classic killed...however maybe that comes from so much time and hard work going into our restorations.
Trust your Woobie!

Cooter

With all the AMD stuff out now, it shouldn't even bother anyone..You can buy a "Charger in a box" now just like the Chevy Camaro...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

surmanajaja

Quote from: chargergirl on March 14, 2011, 09:19:10 PM
Stopped watching Burn Notice when they killed the Charger. I was upset that they killed the car and pretty much ranted for a bit...off and on...for weeks! Don't like to see a classic killed...however maybe that comes from so much time and hard work going into our restorations.

Last I watched Burn Notice, they were still driving the charger?

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bill440rt

Quote from: Cooter on March 14, 2011, 09:27:35 PM
With all the AMD stuff out now, it shouldn't even bother anyone..You can buy a "Charger in a box" now just like the Chevy Camaro...

So now they're expendable??  ::)
Highly doubt anyone is going to "fix" the car after a bus rolled on top of it. If the car was bad before, it's worse now. And I'm not talking about "damaging" a Charger, I'm talking about DESTROYING one.
And yes, this bothers me.
Point I'm trying to make is if you're going to sacrifice one of these cars, at least use it as an organ donor for another. Destroying it for a Hollywood gag or to sell some admission tickets is just wrong.

surmanajaja

Quote from: greenpigs on March 15, 2011, 05:54:04 AM
Rerun?

no, the last episode that came out last december 17th. ok they blew up the car in it... but I think they broke it before, with a bazooka long time ago.

RuNvS69

To their credit they changed up the details of the Charger from the first movie because of the rarity/difficulty to obtain all of the parts.  The entire front end (Fenders, Valence, Bumper, Hood) are Hanneman fiberglass and cost them roughly $2k. They then have to fabricate brackets to hold them and then the PITA it is to make them look reasonably straight.  One obvious sign is the fact that the reflector holes on the front fenders are indents and not blatant holes (they didn't fill them, just left them blank for the shaved look from far).  The other being that the front valence has no turn signals.   Lastly the hood when the car was moving at speed, starts to bow in the front from the gap between the edge and the bumper (which tends to sag). So I'm PRAYING that the cars getting trashed are those nasty buckets with trees growing in them in fields from the south.

As much as some people hate the wire mesh grille, I'm glad they aren't busting up originals!  I'm actually very curious as to how they made that thing.  It looks like some sort of metal lip around 4" deep that they zip-tie the grille to.  Cinema Vehicle Services in Hollywood gave me a typical d*ckish reply when I asked for a photo or two of it up close stating "No. That won't be happening".  These are the same guys that made the Eleanor mustang for Gone in 60 Seconds.  You'll notice in the post production photos, in order to make the car street legal someone dumped fugly orange turn signals behind the grille.  :eek2:   I went as far as to ask FireballTim who works at CVS and has regular blogs/shows-- but he never replied.

I'm fascinated by movie cars-- if anyone has further pics of this thing please post or PM me links!

-Tim

-=As terrible and unrealistic as these movies are, they are great entertainment and I appreciate the fact that they make these Chargers look so desirable/badass=-
1970 Charger 500 - 440 (Fast5)
1970 Charger - 318 (SOLD)
1969 Charger SE - 440 (SOLD)
1970 Charger 500 - 383 (SOLD)

MoparManJim

This just in like an hour ago from the stunt driver Corey, they did the 2nd run.
"On the second cannon-roll the bus went right over the Charger and didn't even touch it!"

:2thumbs:

greenpigs

But is that what they wanted?

I bet they want the Charger to get smashed.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

doctor4766

Quote from: bill440rt on March 12, 2011, 10:03:14 PM

Sorry, I disagree.
Rant off.

Yeah, like a '69
Gotta love a '69

ChgrSteve67

Do you think that there is a fourm board somewhere with a bunch of people pissed off about hollywood needlessly destroying all of these buses instead of restoring them?

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on March 15, 2011, 07:51:33 PM
Do you think that there is a fourm board somewhere with a bunch of people pissed off about hollywood needlessly destroying all of these buses instead of restoring them?

Yes, because converted coaches cost more than 'most' restored Chargers.  :yesnod:

Sabre

I honestly don't understand why the poor Charger always gets destroyed.  Whether the good guy or bad guy drives it.  It seems every Hollywood movie, big budget or low budget has the Charger destroyed. :flame:

Mike DC

QuoteI bet they want the Charger to get smashed.

Possibly.  But either way I doubt they'll shoot the bus rolling over a third time.  They'll probably use the footage from the two rolls and piece together the outcome they want, be it killed Charger or not. 

greenpigs

Quote from: Sabre on March 15, 2011, 10:20:42 PM
I honestly don't understand why the poor Charger always gets destroyed.  Whether the good guy or bad guy drives it.  It seems every Hollywood movie, big budget or low budget has the Charger destroyed. :flame:

I think sometimes they do it to cheese off the car guys so we talk the movie up even if its bad mouthing it.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Cooter

Bitch all you want, the bottom line is the Charger is being shoved to the forefront again as with the GL. Without a sacrifice of a few, there would be less of a market for these cars except the very few that bought them back in the day when they were new, or because they simply liked the bodystyle.
Instead, we have young people TODAY that still think the GL is an icon and WANT that car.
Hollywood will continue to buy up cars that "Car guys" will continue to sell to them to destroy. And guess what? Like it or not, there will ALWAYS be people to watch them get destroyed..Afterall, all this does is shove the price of the remaining cars UP...

The same thing has been hashed out about the 30 or so 1958 Plymouth's they destroyed making the movie "Christine"...

Afterall, many '58 Plymouth's are being be saved/restored because those 30 or so were destroyed making a movie...

You say "I Highly doubt anyone is going to "fix" the car after a bus rolled on top of it. If the car was bad before, it's worse now"..

I beg to differ. look at the "Chop Cut Rebuild" Charger....Damn near EVERY F**kin' thing was replaced out of a box...And it wasn't smashed by a bus..

You know what really has to suck? A CLEAN '69 Charger 318 car goes up on EvilBay...Sells for something like $7500.00....

A WRECK of a General Lee, that was jumped by Corey Eubanks that is totalled goes up the same time and sells for $20K....

Famous cars bring more than unfamous ones even totalled, and they tend to get repaired (Or at least roadworthy/Safe)if the parts are out there.....

FastbackJon

Quote from: Sabre on March 15, 2011, 10:20:42 PM
I honestly don't understand why the poor Charger always gets destroyed.  Whether the good guy or bad guy drives it.  It seems every Hollywood movie, big budget or low budget has the Charger destroyed. :flame:

Save for the movie Big Fish!!

Come on, don't you guys remember the movie with the Charger in the tree or underwater with the chick swimming around it?

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Mike DC

IMHO we'll see Dynacorn repro Charger unibodies being made soon enough.  Problem solved.

sixty8charger

if they make new unibodies.. i might just throw up.  I am trying to get mine sanded still.. and I'm physically sanding the bottom side.. on my back... on a creeper..  (because I can't afford the rotisserie way of doing it.)  But I would definitely, in a heart beat... take out a loan to get an already done unibody! Rust free.. just bolt the charger back together.. Holy moly!
Jayson

GL#10

Corey's stunt looks amazing on screen  , great movie  the stunts  are amazing though out the movie  ,hats off to the stunt guys .

K.c

aussiemuscle

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on March 15, 2011, 07:51:33 PM

like anyone likes busses... :nana: ..... i'm sure there ARE a few. Ever seen Top Gear UK? they wrecked an old Morris Marina (think of it as a british gremlin, unloved) and got death threats!

Quote from: FastbackJon on March 16, 2011, 01:37:45 AM
Save for the movie Big Fish!!
Come on, don't you guys remember the movie with the Charger in the tree or underwater with the chick swimming around it?

i think he meant good movies