News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I make my own glove box insert?

Started by sixpack_sid, March 20, 2011, 04:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I'm looking for a glove box insert on eBay for my 1968 Charger-do you believe they want $30 for a piece of folded cardboard?? I'm thinking of making one myself out of tin. Anyone know the dimensions of the box and if it's possible to do it?
Gimme your :Twocents:
Thanks!
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

BananaDan

You can get them repro from Legendary or B/E & A for under $20.  Also check megaparts, herb's, dante's and rtspecialties.net.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bull

::) No offense but if you don't have the patience to shop around a little you probably don't have the patience to build a decent glove box. If your motivation is to build something that lasts (instead of just being a tightwad) I'd buy one anyway just to take it apart for a pattern to reverse engineer my tin box.

http://www.megapartsusa.com/search.asp?nobox=&scat=&stext=glove+box&stype=&sprice=&pg=2

HOTROD

Got me one from some body at the swap meet in columba Mo. New $20. -one of the vinders ! :Twocents:
What the Hell-Dumass !

yeahitsgotahemi!

Glove box insert made from scrap aluminum I had lying around and pop riveted together. Much more robust than those cardboard stock ones.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

bull

That looks pretty good. Did you install the light?

sixpack_sid

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on March 22, 2011, 12:57:48 AM
Glove box insert made from scrap aluminum I had lying around and pop riveted together. Much more robust than those cardboard stock ones.

That is NICE!! :2thumbs: That's what I'm talking about! Much better than those crappy cardboard inserts. Did you have a pattern? Did you put it in before you put the dash in?
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

yeahitsgotahemi!

Quote from: bull on March 22, 2011, 01:58:13 AM
That looks pretty good. Did you install the light?

No, I haven't installed the light yet. Haven't gotten to electrical yet, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Quote from: sixpack_sid on March 22, 2011, 08:22:46 AM
Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on March 22, 2011, 12:57:48 AM

That is NICE!! :2thumbs: That's what I'm talking about! Much better than those crappy cardboard inserts. Did you have a pattern? Did you put it in before you put the dash in?

I had the dash installed and took measurements, then cut out and bent up pieces. I bent flanges on the open ends that screw in to the dash like the stock cardboard one. I would have preferred to weld instead of rivet it but I don't have a TIG.

"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

sixpack_sid

Can you give me the measurements? I have nothing in my glove box to go by.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: BananaDan on March 20, 2011, 05:01:14 PM
You can get them repro from Legendary or B/E & A for under $20.  Also check megaparts, herb's, dante's and rtspecialties.net.

Thanks for the sites! I'll be sure to bookmark those. I found one at Year One for 13.95. Guess that's what I'll go with.