News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Some ?'s on manual transmission

Started by MyMopar, January 02, 2006, 01:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyMopar

I am planning on converting my Charger back from an automatic to the original 4 speed.  I have the following questions.
1st, I see Passon Perfromance is offering a 4 speed hemi overdrive kit for $1500.   I was thinking going the Keisler route but $5k is a bit too much.  So I can use my old A-833 case and swap in the components for the Passon conversion and should be good to go. 
2nd I would like to know the best route to get the rest of the components I would need and what anyone would suggest.  I need to get:
Bellhousing
Entire clucth linkage set-up (obviously being an original 4 speed I don't need pedals)
Flywheel - which size/type and tooth count
Clucth disc and plate - what would be the best?
Shifter

My future plans are to build a motor to make approx. 500 hp and no more.  Street driven car w/3.91 rear axle set.  Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
Keisler website advertises all the components listed but I don't know if it is too pricey or ok.  No other palce (Year One/Paddock) offers entire kits like Keisler does as far as clutch parts go.

Troy

You may want to search the board for other information on swaps because it sounds like you'll need most of the parts. Basically, you can get all the parts (new and/or used) from Passon or Brewer's but it's pricey. Mancini, Summit, Paddock, and Year One sell a lot of the repro items and hardware kits (which you'll want new any way). Parts like the z-bar, rods, linkages, forks, and bellhousing can be found used at places like Tony's Parts or in online classifieds like here and Moparts. The shifters and handles are reproduced depending on what you need (console or non-console, pistol grip handle or ball, etc.). Check Harm's and Gunslinger for some of those parts as well. Depending on the year of your car, your flywheel and clutch will either be 11" or 10.5". The 10.5" parts are usually cheaper and will fit in place of the 11". You can get all these parts new. The guys on Moparts seem to be happy with the McLeod Street Twin clutch.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Chryco Psycho

the 143 tooth flywheel & the early larger 11" clutchpressure plate &  belhousing have to be used together
same with the 130 tooth flywheel & smaller 10.5" /10.95" bel & pressure plate   

Rolling_Thunder

I used a 143 tooth flywheel with a Ram clutch disc and pressure plate...    I also used a scattershield...  so as Neil said make sure to match up the components
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

MyMopar

Thanks for the info.  I did find my old bellhousing and a box of clucth linkage parts (z-bar, rods, cutch fork and other misc. hardware) and of course the crossmember.  SO I will just have to get the inspection cover and a rebuild kit for the z-bar and new rubber boots, etc. for the linkages. 
I contacted Passon, looks like the kit comes complete as a new gearset and shaft but that's it. I will have to buy new synchros and other stuff as I want to rebuild this trans anyway.  Now all I have to do is take a good inventory of what I'll need and figure out where to go from there.
I'll look into your suggestions as far as clutch disc components.  My biggest question is whether to go with a steel flywheel or aluminum.  It will be behind a 440 which I might go the stroker route with.

Chryco Psycho

complete Brg kits are reasonable foe the 833, might as well change them while you are in there

MyMopar

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 05, 2006, 12:47:37 AM
complete Brg kits are reasonable foe the 833, might as well change them while you are in there

Thanks, I almost overlooked that which would be a big mistake considering the effort going into the trans.   :thumbs:

Anyone have an opinion on type of flywheel, steel or aluminum, street driven 440 might go stroker route.

MOPARHOUND!

If you go the stroker route, consider the Mcleod Street Twin clutch set up to handle the mountain of torque, or, get use to practicing swapping clutches.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Chryco Psycho

the Street Twin is a good system , flywheels are more difficult , you really feel like you lose a LOT of torque dropping just 10 lbs off the flywheel , but as you drop flywheel weight the engine will rev more easily so it is a trade off , personally the lightest flywheel I would use in a heavy Charger is a 30 lb , 40 would be prefered , a 11 lb alum will kill power off the line

MyMopar

Thanks for the info on the flywheel, just what I was looking for.  I would say going with a stroker then a 30 lb. should be just fine.  Maybe get a steel 40 pound and lighten it to 35# so I'm right in the middle.
In any case, thanks for all the input.  Time to start searching for best pricing.