News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lost key to locking lug nuts

Started by ChgrSteve67, May 02, 2011, 09:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

Well I don't know exactly how I did it but I lost the key to my gorilla locking lug nuts.

I'm wondering if anyone here has done the same and what was your solution to the problem.

I know there is the standard ...  Weld a nut to the head of the locking lug nut and take it off but I'm not going to get a welder that close to my rims.
I have seen video of people taking a socket and pounding it onto the locking lug and then backing it off but that is a waste of a perfectly good socket and can't be that good for the studs.

let me also add that I do not have the registration code to order a replacement key from gorilla.

I have heard that the local tire guy will remove them for $10 a tire. Ouch.

-Steve

BIGBLCK11

You could try this tool, depending on the lock/wheel type.  It states wheel locks with lost keys in the description.  Although it is $12, at least you could keep the tool. 

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1710505701P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TK73

Hammer a socket on and crank 'em off

It takes 1 socket per as they will be stuck. Use metric, we don't need those  :icon_smile_big:

And yes, been there...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

terrible one

A local tire/alignment shop may be able to help you out. I bought a car that had locking lug nuts to which I had no "key." I took it to Expert Tire back home and they had an air-powered tool that basically went over the lug nut and then there must have been something inside that grabbed the nut as it spun up. Anyways, it only took like 30 seconds to do all 4 of the locking lugs and they only charged me $10. Maybe call around locally and try to find a shop that has this tool?

Brock Samson

your welcome to try mine Steve.  :shruggy: lemmie know..

Chatt69chgr

Call Gorilla folks.  A friend had same problem and he was able to work with them to get the correct "key".  

bull

If the car can be moved you might try taking it down to the local tire shop because they often have a large assortment of keys you can try. I would call ahead first to make sure they've got more than just 3-4.

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on May 02, 2011, 09:24:55 PM
You could try this tool, depending on the lock/wheel type.  It states wheel locks with lost keys in the description.  Although it is $12, at least you could keep the tool.  

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1710505701P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Looks promising but the head of my lug is 3/4 of an inch in size.  I think this remover is too big. I checked to see if they have a smaller one but nothig came up.

Silver R/T -> Are you asking what the locking lug nut looks like?

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: Brock Samson on May 02, 2011, 09:32:30 PM
your welcome to try mine Steve.  :shruggy: lemmie know..

What is it that you have Brock?  One of the Sears lock removers?  Have you used it and did it work?

Brock Samson

i have a gorilla key to mine...  :shruggy:

ChgrSteve67

Thanks Brock but I don't think you key will work on my locks.
I have two other sets and the keys are off just enought to not fit.

I found this
http://www.brandsport.com/ctam-a146.html

Looks like its the right size and may work. Price looks good too.
I think I will order one and report on the sucess or failure.

-Steve

ODZKing

When you do get them off, don't put them back on.  The only purpose they serve is to agrivate you.
Because if someone want the wheels bad enough, they're going to jam on a socket and get them off no matter what.  If you think those things will stop them ... guess again.

kokxville

Quote from: TK73 on May 02, 2011, 09:30:33 PM
Hammer a socket on and crank 'em off

It takes 1 socket per as they will be stuck. Use metric, we don't need those  :icon_smile_big:

And yes, been there...
I've been there too.This works fine  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

A383Wing

come on up...I'll get 'em off for ya

(now where did I leave that cutting torch)   :scratchchin:

Musicman

Quote from: ODZKing on May 03, 2011, 07:31:57 AM
When you do get them off, don't put them back on.  The only purpose they serve is to agrivate you.
Because if someone want the wheels bad enough, they're going to jam on a socket and get them off no matter what.  If you think those things will stop them ... guess again.

Yeah... What Bob said  :yesnod:

twodko

:iagree:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

GPULLER

Quote from: twodko on May 03, 2011, 11:30:18 AM
:iagree:

2X
Glad you found this out now instead of in a couple weeks on I-90 in the middle of South Dakota.

ChgrSteve67

I had it a few weeks ago when I changed the master cylinder and a week later when I went to check the torque again It was no where to be found. I might have left it on a nut and lost it going for a test drive.  Thats my guess. I'm usually very carefull with my lock keys.

Roger 68 charger

Nothing worse than tight Gorilla Nuts!!      :smilielol:
68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

ChgrSteve67

I knew it was just a matter of time before the NUT jokes started.

A383Wing

Hey Steve.....got yer nuts off yet??  :nana:

68X426

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on May 03, 2011, 02:44:43 PM
I knew it was just a matter of time before the NUT jokes started.

Maybe that's better than "you're an old man with no memory" jokes.  :nana:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Roger 68 charger

68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

dodgeboy67

it seems to me that either snapon or mac has a kit specifficly for this purpose.