News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big Willie Daytona back on Ebay

Started by tan top, May 03, 2011, 07:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Blown70

I bought my green 69 from him, otherwise known as CudaCorey

WB General Lee

Does he buy and sell cars? Does anyone know the chain of owners on this car or what he may have invested? The car looks rougher than I thought. The rear window plug area is wasted. I know it has history but you can buy a restored finished one for that.

BigBlockSam

:rotz:  poor little car . it needs someone to luv it   :pity:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

nascarxx29

From a past post by Cuda Corey

I recently came into possesion of big willies daytona, it is untouched and remains in the same shape it was in when last sold. I'm putting the feelers out there to see if there is anyone interested in the car, it does in fact have the numbers matching motor and transmission, it is not as bad as it looks as far as rust I've seen way worse off cars but I'm not sure if that really matters unless your going to restore the car but then it looses all its patina. any questions please feel free to call 763-245-0134, not sure what its worth or what to sell it for i have picture of the car but it looks the same as it did 4 years ago

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 12:29:50 AM » Quote  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone, I'm the one that posted the big willie Daytona, I just want to set the record straight so there is no speculation but i have known don for a few years and have done a few restorations for him, he contacted me on a couple of cars he would like to sell and I told him I would see what i can do, he did not mention selling the big willie car at first it was a couple of other cars then at the last second he changed his mind on one of the cars and decided to sell the big willie coming to the conclusion that he did not have the time to have it restored, I have talked to him many times over the years trying to urge him to restore it but the big question was always how to do it , he kicked the idea around about doing it up like the king or queen daytona, I'm not sure myself the hard part about restoring a car like this is once its restored it will never be like it is now and it looses its history other than what it will be remembered as in old pictures of it.

I'm not a car broker, I'm your average mopar guy but i do sell cars here and there, I own a collision and restoration shop in a small town called Ogilvie about 1 1/2 hours north of minn/st.paul , i mostly do mopar restorations but do the occasional ford or Chevy, i have quite a few mopars myself plus about 150 parts cars. When the opportunity came up to buy these cars i got ahold of a investor buddy of mine and he bought the cars, hes not a car guy but he understands good investments when they come along and i did not want to see the car end up flipping around, I would really like some feedback on what should be done with the car , restore it or not and if it gets restored what condition or paint scheme it should go back to, i could not find many pictures of this car back in its glory days other that the on on the cover of mopar collectors guide in 91, i would really like the opportunity to restore the car if it is gonna happen or id like to see it in a serious collectors hands or museum.

The car retains allot of history, as soon as i got it back i sat in the car and looked around, the first thing i noticed is there is a small picture glued to the rear view mirror of some of big willies family , there is still some change in the ashtray of the car from the year 72 73, some pens, and some of those grocery store stamp like coupons in the glove box, they must of used it as a grocery getter sometimes. kinda corny but cool. if anyone has any question please feel free to get ahold of me.

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BigBlockSam

Quoteit is not as bad as it looks as far as rust

:rotz:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

WB General Lee

Thanks for the interesting information. I was trying to make a trade for the car a year ago but aa friend talked me out of it. He said he could have bought that car for 22K years back and the cars value is like 80K. He has owned 1000 cars so I listened to him plus I heard the the interior is also trashed. I would still love to have the car but one thing  is I would never restore it and erase the history. I Just bought another movie car and a few people told me to repaint it so it looks better but then it's not the way it was in the movie anymore. It's only original once.

BigBlockSam

that car was never for sale for 22k . if it was it would have been mine .

WB General Lee

This was years ago. Remember years ago I could have bought a triple red Hemi Cuda Convertible for 20K. I bought my Lime Green 440+6 Superbird for $3400 so it is possible.

BigBlockSam

i know the car and it's history well and i never saw it that cheap

WB General Lee

Maybe so. This is what a friend told me. It may have been even back when Willie had it. What is the history? Now looking at it I would probably cut out the rust and blend it in the best I could and leave it alone. What is the value of that car in todays market?

WB General Lee

Just talked to my friend today it was more like 38,000.

WB General Lee

nascarxx29

This car does have some historic parts from BW legendary hemi daytona.Its hood.I wonder how that car which shiplist shows coming from my local dealer Cherry Hill Dodge .Which is know Cherry Hill Triplex I visited for a paper trail few years back.How that car ended up in Ca .Dealer trade?With all my ads I didnt find a 69 daytona advertised at Cherry Hill Dodge

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11789.0.html

WB General Lee

Thanks for the information but I was referring to the progression of owners over thew years. I heard that the 440 car was his brothers or cousin is that true?

nascarxx29

Thats one of things I would have wanted to see if I got a hold of a copy sales invoice from Cherry Hill Dodge daytona.Who originally bought it .But no luck on that invoice

But I  have this one for a Hemi daytona from a Ca dealer and the documented episode 69 daytona seen on Adam 12

WB General Lee

Very cool. Are those your cars at the bottom. If so you lucky guy :cheers:

Does Corey still own this car and where did he get it from?

nascarxx29

Wonder if this auction still includes the memorabilia helmets and jackets.The only thing I seen with owners name was from a older auction

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,50708.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,66607.0.html

WB General Lee

That's great! Love to see history. So what kinda figure can you put on this car in this market? Anyone want to take a quess?

Aero426

No doubt, it's a cool car.   But I don't get quite as excited about it as some people might.

Reading the auction listing - we get the usual Big Willie history lesson, blah, blah, blah.
We then get the "it has a long history, and is well documented".   I have to ask, WHAT LONG HISTORY?  
Then we get the, "It has a diecast model" and has been displayed at some high profile shows in recent years. Thats Wonderful.

My point of the above is, if this thing is so great, you would not need to puff up the story.    Yes, it had a bit part in a movie, and if it did some minor drag racing along the way, I'll believe it.   But it is not the King or Queen Daytona either.  You will notice that the above photo with the memorabilia board shows nothing of the actual car.  Only the other two.  

At worst, it's a numbers matching car that needs a complete restoration.   To see it in person, calling it "rough" is a compliment.     At best it has the Big Willie connection as the last and least used of the three cars.    

What's it worth?   I think the asking price is a fair starting point, within reason of negotiation.   The condition of the car will hold it back.  At the asking price, there is no up side to a restoration.   I will ask you this:  Would you be willing to pay close to 150k for this car, or would you rather have a nice driver like Troy's car for the same money?   I think I know what direction most people would go.   It will take a special buyer and I am sure there is one out there.    

Ghoste

It will take a well heeled collector who wants historically significant cars to step up.

WB General Lee

Thanks you have made several good points. Number one this car is not the car in Two Lane Blacktop. Number 2 I noticed and agree with what you said about hyping up the cars history in the add on e-bay. Basically if you were to buy this car without the past history it would be maybe a 60-70k because it would take 50K to get it back to mint. Add another 25K or so for the history and you have an 80-90 thousand dollar car. This is my opinion but I like the car probably more than some people because I like to have cars that have a story or history behind them. The Joe Dirt car is another cool car does anyone know where that car may be?

WB General Lee

Well did a little more digging and to find out the Big Willie's car was sold at one time in the 20-30K range. A fellow Brotherhood member went to California to visit Big Willie and saw that Daytona. He asked Willie if he would sell it and ended up buying the car. He then got in a pinch for money and sold the car again pretty cheap not sure how much but I will find out. The car went through a few more owners. More to come  :icon_smile_big:

nascarxx29

QuoteThe Joe Dirt car is another cool car does anyone know where that car may be
[ Quote ]He then got in a pinch for money and sold the car .I dont recall who told me but I recall $14K
Rob the owner of the Joe Dirt car is on this board
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,69483.0.html

WB General Lee

Thanks again :2thumbs: Do you know everything LOL

rob-dirt

i would like to have that car its right up my alley LOL wonder if he would like to have a hemi cuda i have been thinking of trading my cuda for a wing car  ::) ::)

Richard Cranium

Quote from: rob-dirt on May 07, 2011, 10:59:28 PM
i would like to have that car its right up my alley LOL wonder if he would like to have a hemi cuda i have been thing of tradeing my cuda for a wing car  ::) ::)

Not to change the subject, but punctuation really does matter........

I am Dr. Remulac

nascarxx29

That be a cool pair on Y2 daytona bookends for you Rob.With 2 different historys movie and street legend daytonas.

rob-dirt

Quote from: Richard Cranium on May 08, 2011, 07:14:45 AM
Quote from: rob-dirt on May 07, 2011, 10:59:28 PM
i would like to have that car its right up my alley LOL wonder if he would like to have a hemi cuda i have been thing of tradeing my cuda for a wing car  ::) ::)

Not to change the subject, but punctuation really does matter........

Does that make you happy richard  i changed it just for people like you

WB General Lee

You forgot the capitalize the I twice. I may as well join the haters LOL

WB General Lee

I was thinking about it and the more I think about it I would like to have a nice shinny clean wing car:) if I bought this car I would want to restore it to the heyday when it was freshly lettered up and that in my opinion would destroy the pitina. After a while you would get tired of the car looking the way it is. Also I was told that it was Big Willies brothers car and it's not the one in the movie so you would have to constantly explain the car blah blah blah. All I heard on Woodward last fee years was "oh there is another of those General Lee clones".People in the know will say oh thats not the car in Two Lane Blacktop and I would be like no but the hood was LoL

WilliesDaytona

To clear things up I bought the car out of Big Willies back yard, from Big Willie, it was titled to The National and International Brotherhood of Street Racers and had been since 1973, I sold the car to a guy in NJ and then it was traded/sold to the guy who owns it now, it was never offered for 20,000 22,000 or 38,000 to anyone, I sold the car to help with family finances due to illness, I wish I had the car back, it was and always will be the coolest, car I have ever owned...

WB General Lee

Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry to hear about the family illness.

nascarxx29

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE