News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gas tank and filler neck question

Started by Hudson Hornet !, May 01, 2011, 11:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson Hornet !

Hello, I just put a new gas tank on my 68, from Van's Auto. The tank looks very nice, but my filler neck doesn't seem to go into the tank very far. How much of the tube should be in the tank?  Mine looks like it is going in about 1- 1 1/2 inches.  Can anyone help me out?
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

el dub

I just put mine in and that seems about right. Once you hook up the top of the filler tube to the flip top the bottom end should be good.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

elacruze

Quote from: el dub on May 02, 2011, 09:32:55 AM
I just put mine in and that seems about right. Once you hook up the top of the filler tube to the flip top the bottom end should be good.

yup, just installed my filler and it's only in 1-2". Be sure that your tank seal is soft if you didn't get a new one, and check the fit both in the tank and around the neck-do a test fit outside the car. This is one place you don't want to find you have a leak after your first fill-up. I sealed mine with Lithium grease, to help slide in and soften the seal inside and out.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Hudson Hornet !

Thanks Guys,

I thought it looked a little short, but hearing the same things from you makes me feel better!

Boy, you could really take my last sentence out of context!
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

elacruze

Quote from: Hudson Hornet ! on May 02, 2011, 10:06:29 AM
Thanks Guys,

I thought it looked a little short, but hearing the same things from you makes me feel better!

At least it isn't taken out of latex.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

doctor4766

Quote from: elacruze on May 02, 2011, 10:19:01 AM
Quote from: Hudson Hornet ! on May 02, 2011, 10:06:29 AM
Thanks Guys,

At least it isn't taken out of latex.
Not that there's anything wrong with that........
Gotta love a '69

vandie12

Is it a hard job to change the filler tube seal while the tank is still in the car, I have a 69 Charger.