News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Galen Govier - What Gives?

Started by Shakey, January 08, 2006, 06:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

The foolish comment wasn't directed at you, I was saying I would feel like a fool trying to explain to someone why I would pay him more than someone else. My only point was to say the to me HE isn't the one and only person that can provide that service. And if it was me personally even if it was a 6 figure car, I would have someone else look at it before I'd pay him his fee's to look at a car. To me his opinion on a car doesn't make it any more expensive or valuable. His word is just his word, its not the Bible, its not without error. He has been fooled in the past about cars, and will be fooled in the future as well. Granted others can be fooled too. But in all honesty if I was to lay down 6 figures on a car, it wouldn't be based on just his word or opinion of the car. I would do my own research, and background checking, and i'd conference with other people about the car as well. I just feel that with just about every body style that was available, that there are multiple other people who also known and are very knowledgable about these cars.

69_500

There are plenty of people out there that can detect if a tag is fake, or even if its a repro.

Just a side note.

ChargerHound69

Well, when I was looking to buy that 1969 charger 100039.  He answered my questions right away, for FREE.  He told me what he had on the car, and all the info he could come up with from his sources.

I have to be thankful for that, but at the sametime, EVERYONE here on the site was willing to find out as much as they could too.

Thanks everyone.(Even if I didn't get to buy the car)

Ghoste

If he did it for free then I have to give him a little tip of the hat because it's completely out of character.  Credit where due.

sixpack70

I'm just wondering about my car and asking to see if he has any info on it from the past. My fender tag is missing and I only have part of my build sheet. I would like to know everything the car had. I bet he would charge an arm and a leg looking at his web site.
1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Charger R/T 440+6 4spd

ChargerHound69

I don't know what he chargers for his service, but after reading this thread I would assume it is alot.  What info do you already have on your car??  Does it have a Vin # on it??  If yes, does the numbers on it appear anywhere else on the car?? 

This would usually appear on the rad. support, the engine block, and in the trunk.

694spdRT

Quote from: sixpack70 on January 13, 2006, 11:22:20 PM
I'm just wondering about my car and asking to see if he has any info on it from the past. My fender tag is missing and I only have part of my build sheet. I would like to know everything the car had. I bet he would charge an arm and a leg looking at his web site.

I am not sure what Galen can do for you if the car was not previously registered with him. Your best bet would be if he or someone else has a copy of your buildsheet that was in put another car. I don't think he will make fender tags for cars unless you have a buildsheet or possibly photos prior to any restoration. Have you registered it with the '70 charger Registry? They have some buildsheet's for missing cars that people have provided.  Looking for past owners or the original dealer are other ways for you to track down past information on the car. Most of Chrysler's records were destroyed in a fire pertaining to the late 60's and early 70's cars.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

TK73

3rd gen / small block owner here... he would have no need for me and I have no need for him, had plenty of chances to meet the guy a few years back, didn't care to...

It's cool that somebody is doing so much documentation for the hobby but when I see car owners all starry-eyed because they get top spend time with the guy, it makes me ill... 
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

hemihead

I don't see where everyone thinks he does such a service to  mopars. Sounds more like Self- Service.I think this guy has alot of market control.
And this guy does not have EVERY Mopar registered with him so by him telling a customer so many were made a certain color or with a cerain options,etc. is just what he has registered and may or may not be accurate.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

dayclona

Quote from: hemihead on January 14, 2006, 07:03:04 AM
I don't see where everyone thinks he does such a service to  mopars. Sounds more like Self- Service.I think this guy has alot of market control.
And this guy does not have EVERY Mopar registered with him so by him telling a customer so many were made a certain color or with a cerain options,etc. is just what he has registered and may or may not be accurate.

Example: several years ago (who counts....10-15 years) he stated that no superbirds outside of the factory offered colors exsisted or were ever painted with other factory colors, therefore no burnt orange superbirds were to exsist! ............even after people told him otherwise!.........Ahhh! .........several years later 3 birds (burnt orange) emerge!..............when the 1st one surfaced (owned by Mason Dixion, Galen was quick to dismiss that 1 as a factory error, "the only 1 made", .........................now his registry says:" I have 3 Burnt Orange Superbirds in exsistance!".............I know he can't verify the exsistance of a car based on hearsay!.........but when more than a handfull of reliable people tell him of a vehicle(s) exsistance, and he goes out of his way to (print)  say they NEVER built that, then days, months, years later has to choke on his own words!........ex: no hemi station wagons, .......3 to date, chowed on that!,..........no hemi 4 doors (bevelleders).....chowed on that!........No 71 challenger T/A.........has 2  vins on record!!.......said to me for years no such thing!.......still chewin........still chewin on various options, packages, etc,etc.......that never exsisted!..........if you want to be called, known, or bask in the glory of being a "GURU".......................just plead the "fifth" if you don't know something!............................when people ask me for info on daytonas/superbirds, I tell them what I know,have seen, documented!.............if they tell / ask me something I don't know, I don't dismiss it,I don't tell them their wrong!..............because when it comes to mopar.............never say NEVER!...................galen g. hasn't learned this yet!

Mike G/ DAYCLONA

72chargerSE

I've known Galen for years, so has my family. I burns my ass when I read this stuff about him. I don't believe Galen willingly gives out bad info,or caters to the wine and cheese crowd, and he always corrects himself when he is wrong.

He is only one guy, with a wealth of growing info. There have been times at Carlisle that I can't get a chance to see him for all the people asking him questions, etc. But he always has a smile, handshake, and say hi to the folks back home for me. Arrogance ? I think not... he's just a busy guy providing a service to keep the integrity of our hobby intact.

My 2 cents. Period.

Ghoste

I haven't seen too many instances of him correcting himself in print.  It has happened but not for every mistake he's made in print.  I don't expect him to be perfect, but own up when you should.

69_500

I'll have to agree with Mike from Dayclona on this one. He has admited a few times that I'm aware of some blundering mistakes. However there are other mistakes that he hasn't owned up to. I hadn't ever heard that he denied them ever making a FK5 Superbird, I first saw one of those back in the early 80's.
There are many things that Ma Mopar did back in the era of the 60's to early 70's that they printed they wouldn't do, or options they wouldn't offer on a car. But if someone wanted a car badly enough they would do it. They were there to cater to the audience who wanted the cars. If they said you can get a Superbird in these 9 colors, but you wanted 1 ordered in another color, they would do it to get a sale. Will car companies do this in todays times? Not hardly.
Wasn't it until a year or so ago, that he said no TA's or was it AAR's had sunroofs? I'm not really into the E-body cars so I don't recall which one it was. I have ever heard of a HEMI Station wagon, nor seen one, but I won't say they never made one. Just that I haven't ever seen one, would love to see one though.

Chris G.

Quote from: 72chargerSE on January 14, 2006, 03:53:26 PM
He is only one guy

That may be his biggest problem. He is an obvious control freak, which is a problem. He shares his "empire" with no one. If he goes, the history may go with him.

He's a nice guy in person, don't get me wrong. He's taken a pic of my fender tag at least 5 times now. Whether I register or not($$), I am in his database.  :-X

ps- Before you praise him for being a nice guy in Carlisle, make sure you ask him who's paying for his airfare, hotel room, meals and rental car for the event. If you know him as well as you say, you will know what I mean.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dodge Don

dayclona

Quote from: 69_500 on January 14, 2006, 08:06:46 PM
I'll have to agree with Mike from Dayclona on this one. He has admited a few times that I'm aware of some blundering mistakes. However there are other mistakes that he hasn't owned up to. I hadn't ever heard that he denied them ever making a FK5 Superbird, I first saw one of those back in the early 80's.
There are many things that Ma Mopar did back in the era of the 60's to early 70's that they printed they wouldn't do, or options they wouldn't offer on a car. But if someone wanted a car badly enough they would do it. They were there to cater to the audience who wanted the cars. If they said you can get a Superbird in these 9 colors, but you wanted 1 ordered in another color, they would do it to get a sale. Will car companies do this in todays times? Not hardly.
Wasn't it until a year or so ago, that he said no TA's or was it AAR's had sunroofs? I'm not really into the E-body cars so I don't recall which one it was. I have ever heard of a HEMI Station wagon, nor seen one, but I won't say they never made one. Just that I haven't ever seen one, would love to see one though.

Danny, Galen first dismiss the "myth" of  burnt orange superbird(s)............when Dixion's car came to light, in the early 80's, he "blew it off " as a assembly line goof!....................well to date the factory "goofed" in triplicate!.............................Challeger T/A's "never" had sunroof"s................Galen, gaged on that one also!.........................Hemi wagons, ..........66 bevelleder I, first one built, went to "Big Daddy" Don Garlits!...............before the defenders of Galen jump on me to say thats early history!...........one could right a book on the "NEVER MADE, NEVER OFFERED,.......and his best quote: I'll only say this once they NEVER____________________,..............then the retraction:  I know I said they NEVER______________, but new info has become available?,.............but he NEVER acknowledges the person(s) that supplied him the info...............this is one of the things that burns peoples asses about him!..............and his MO continues to this day!.........so many times when he says NEVER THIS, NEVER THAT......................................................................................................................................................and I have the documents, the parts, the car(s) location, exsistance, etc, etc.........and I,m ready to contact him, not to disparage him/ comments, but to enligthen him,.........because of his "attitude"................I don't bother!......I'm not the only one that feels this way, ...........Galen has "distanced" himself from many knowledgeable people in this "hobby"!, to place himself above the rest,..........he's forgotten ,how he got to be ; where he is today..............

Mike G./ DAYCLONA

nascarxx29

And the guy from Memphis TN.where that car sold new from. Who had that FK5 superbird prior to Mason Dixon .And Dave Jones made a copy of his original paperwork .That indicated FK5 as a alternate choice.I got a copy of it around.You had to write in a certain requets order #
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69fuchs

If Galen can get a free ride to the nats or carlisle or YOUR house, it is because he is valuable to the hobby.  Are you jealous?  I personally don't care how he gets where he is going, or who pays for it.  Matter of fact I don't think it is any of my business.  If the big buck guys pay him, so what.  If someone else had his clout, THEY would be flown to events and catered for.  

I don't think anyone "owes" him anything, and he doesn't live a high profile life in the big city.  He IS accessible, despite what has been said in this thread.  

Galen had a bad habit early on saying that some cars or options did not exist.  He hasn't said that in 15 years.  He says "known to exist"      

Get your facts straight before you spit out manure.  He is a mopar guy, that provides a needed service, and he has a good reputation...don't tarnish it with B.S.

Mopar people attacking mopar people........it doesn't make sense to me!??  I don't have to wonder where TROLLS and DASH SWAPPERS come from when a galen post comes up!

This is the same crap I have heard about John Balow at Muscle car restorations.  I visited with him in the 80's before people knew who he was.  He drag raced at the same track I did.  He was very personable, and helpful.  But if you listen to the old ladies gossip, he is a no good crook.  Sounds like some people don't like to  see others succeed?

PocketThunder

When i finish my C500 (next couple years) i'm gonna have Danny 69_500 authenticate it for me..... :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

So if I respond in the negative about Galen, am I a troll or a dash swapper?  Sheesh, this thread has run it's course.

89MOPAR

I had bought a Data / decoder book written by a guy named BR Hembree , oh , probably about 1994.  It was just as usefull as the "white books".
Still have it.  - Just meaning to point out that there were other "sources"  10+ years ago.

- If he needs staffing , he should hire more.  As a business they should be able to say - "there is a 2 month waiting period" - not an indefinite amount of time.

77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

69_500

I'd be honored to look at your 500, pocket, but I don't think me authenticating anything would carry as much heresay. To me soeone authenticating a car isn't that important. All I want to do when I'm looking for a car is to be sure it is what it is being advertsided as. I would be leary to purchase any aero car, or something like that if it wasn't a known car to one of the clubs. Now if it wasn't heard of by one of the clubs, i'd have someone else look at it with me, but it wouldn't be Galen.

I don't think that just because someone says something about Galen that it is bad for the hobby. He badmouths people too. And from what I"ve been reading here it isn't bad mouthing Galen, just pointing out some of his flaws. He is HUMAN< HE IS NOT PERFECT> NONE OF US ARE. However some people find it hard to admit when they are wrong.

69fuchs

Quote from: Ghoste on January 15, 2006, 01:08:14 AM
So if I respond in the negative about Galen, am I a troll or a dash swapper?  Sheesh, this thread has run it's course.

I am not sure what you mean?  Do you feel attacked? Did I strike a nerve?  I wonder how Galen would feel if he read the collective bashing in this thread?  This thread went off course when people let their ignorant opinions  slander others.

This is not a personal attack on you ghoste,  it is more an attack on the lynch mob.  I stand up for people that I know are good people.  That is all I am saying.

This thread sound like a political argument from the 50's.  Is someone here a communist?  LETS GET EM BOYS!!!

72chargerSE

69fuchs...

I'm with you, 100%. I consider Galen a friend.... I believe you did strike a nerve with some folks on this site. I came over here because MOPARTS was getting on my nerves, I didn't realize that the same is going on here.

This is OUR hobby folks, and Galen is only human. Lighten up, put your mouse down, and go outside to breath some fresh air!!

Jeeeeesh!

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 72chargerSE on January 14, 2006, 03:53:26 PM
I don't believe Galen willingly gives out bad info

He has admitted to purposely putting wrong info. in some of his books.   :wave: