News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

roof hole repairs

Started by randy73, April 25, 2011, 10:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

Was taking out my windshield and I found 2 holes, one about 1/3" wide right at the crest on top, second on the bottom driver side corner.

The one on the top is the most worrying, should I remove the headliner or is there a way to do it from the outside?

Well after sanding more of the roof, it looks like swiss cheese. So I need some tips on repairing the roof and how to guide for removing the headliner.

I could play 36 holes of miniture golf and not use the same hole twice, whoever patched this the first time, did a lousy job.

NHCharger

Removing the headliner is easy. You'll have to remove the window trim, and the trim on each side. Should all be held in with phillips head screws. You will need to remove the two plastic pieces of interior trim between the rear windows and back window. Interior light is held in with a screw. Need to remove sunvisiors and mirror. On the front and back edges will be some pointed teeth that hold the headliner in place. On the sides you will find it held in with metal headliner clips which pop right off. The bows will pop right out. Mark which hole they were in and label them if you remove them from the headliner, on both my 71 & 72 you had a choice of three holes. Most important, wear a dust mask, you'll be surprised at what might be above your headliner.
Any chance of post some pics??
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

elitecustombody

Get a new roof skin, trying to patch swiss cheese metal is pointless,if you blast the roof you'll see why. 

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Barwell

70 Charger RT

If you do decide to weld each hole, I use a piece of copper or copper alloy that fits the contour and hold it underneath while you weld the top closed.  The weld does not stick to copper.  Be careful not to grind too long in one spot afterwards as you'll get warpage.  Use water or an air nozzle to keep it cool.  I know my roof is also like swiss cheeze and I plan to fix it.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

sixty8charger

getting mine finally blasted next week.  I know for a fact there will be some swiss-ness...   Love the vinyl top, but why does it have to be so brutal!
Jayson