News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tough "hot starting"

Started by penstarman, August 02, 2005, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penstarman

This is driving me crazy.   I now have two cars that start just fine cold, but won't start when hot.   They'll crank, etc., but won't start.   After they cool down (several hours) they fire right up.   I had assumed vapor locking, but have noticed no excessive heat around fuel lines, etc., plus, two cars now doing it is quite odd.   The only common denominator between the two vehicles (besides being mopars) is they both have mechanical lifters, which probably could use adjusting...but I can't imagine that's the problem.

Thoughts?

'69 440-6 RT/SE
'69 Hemi road runner
'68 440-6 GTX
'68 383 Dart
'73 340-4 Challenger Rallye
'87 Buick Grand National  (hey, I like Buicks too)

Chryco Psycho

could be boiling the fuel in the carb & flooding , use a 1214 or 1215 [RB] intake gasket to close off the heat cross over under the intake
the other thing that will help is an insulating spacer under the carb If there is enough hood clearance 

471_Magnum

If you live in a metro area that is subjected to reformulated heavily oxygenated fuel, you're probably dealing with vapor lock.

It doesn't take much heat to get that stuff boiling in your fuel bowl.

Unless you regularly drive your car in freezing temperatures, due as Chryco says, block the cross over.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

penstarman

Thanks, appreciate the help.  Had thought about the gas question, being more prone to vapor lock, but have not had problems w/ my other cars, driven about the same frequency.

Will give it a try.

'69 440-6 RT/SE
'69 Hemi road runner
'68 440-6 GTX
'68 383 Dart
'73 340-4 Challenger Rallye
'87 Buick Grand National  (hey, I like Buicks too)

NHCharger

What are you running for carbs? Eddys have a problem with the gas percolating in the fuel bowl after you shut the car off. Edelbrocks only answer for this is a carb spacer to reduce the heat transfer, also what Chryo said about the intake gaskets is a big help.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Ghoste

Which is kind of funny seeing as how Edelbrock's sales lit claims the aluminum bodies on their carbs throw off heat better than the competition's zinc.

gsmopar

Feel free to correct me if I'm off base here.

You're running a solid lift cam?  What are your initial and total timing settings?  Mopuds with hot cams usually run a lot of initial timing.  A lot of guys advance their initial timing without decreasing the total advance in the distributor when doing the "seat of the pants" tuning.  If any of this sounds familiar I'd suggest decreasing the total advance in the distributor and geting some sort of timing control that retards on startup. 

Later,

Greg