News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Nose grille (Daytona)

Started by hemi68charger, October 31, 2011, 09:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
I was wondering, has anyone powdercoated the grille of their Daytona? The grille goes through a lot of debris and it's hard for the paint to stay on. I was thinking of powdercoating my grille V2 thinking it is much more durable than regular paint.

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nascarxx29

Good idea powder coat it .On another note on nose grilles :Twocents:. I noticed on 2 cars from my area having the hexagon pattern screen material on a very original cars.1 original owner said it was dealer direct replacement.After damaging the square pattern original.So if it was a early 1970 superbird part which is larger piece of grille material .It would have to be modified and creased in the middle as per daytona.But I heard it was a direct swap out no modification replacement part ..Just wonder if it was in the dealer books and what part number

http://daytonapics.tripod.com/daytona/index.album/dscf0087?i=4
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

Quote from: nascarxx29 on October 31, 2011, 03:28:45 PM
Good idea powder coat it .On another note on nose grilles :Twocents:. I noticed on 2 cars from my area having the hexagon pattern screen material on a very original cars.1 original owner said it was dealer direct replacement.After damaging the square pattern original.So if it was a early 1970 superbird part which is larger piece of grille material .It would have to be modified and creased in the middle as per daytona.But I heard it was a direct swap out no modification replacement part ..Just wonder if it was in the dealer books and what part number

that funny because when i got my superbird nose it had the daytona rectangle material in it

DAY CLONA

Quote from: moparstuart on October 31, 2011, 04:11:51 PM

that funny because when i got my superbird nose it had the daytona rectangle material in it

I've seen a few original Birds over the years with "Tona" rectangular mesh in place of the honeycomb, the Malcolm's 9000 mile Sublime survivor bird has the Tona mesh in it's beak also

Plus I've seen a handful of Tona's with the dealer replacement honeycomb mat'l in place as well

moparstuart

mine have the honeycomb now but i save the rectangular mesh for my wall . l
Quote from: DAY CLONA on November 02, 2011, 08:49:07 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on October 31, 2011, 04:11:51 PM

I've seen a few original Birds over the years with "Tona" rectangular mesh in place of the honeycomb, the Malcolm's 9000 mile Sublime survivor bird has the Tona mesh in it's beak also

Plus I've seen a handful of Tona's with the dealer replacement honeycomb mat'l in place as well

maxwellwedge

That was the NOS - Parts Department grille of the time

FJ5WING

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 02, 2011, 04:02:19 PM

Which post are you replying to? Im getting confused with the two different grills disussed in the same thread. :brickwall:
wingless now, but still around.

hemi68charger

Quote from: FJ5WING on November 03, 2011, 12:18:11 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 02, 2011, 04:02:19 PM

Which post are you replying to? Im getting confused with the two different grills disussed in the same thread. :brickwall:

And like to know if anyone's tried powdercoating an original grille, whether it be square or honeycomb... :)
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Aero426

Troy, I would just paint it with a good catalyzed urethane and call it done.   Better yet, chrome it like the old schoolers did.   :yesnod:

Question.  How is color adjustment handled with powder coat?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on November 03, 2011, 01:37:41 PM
Troy, I would just paint it with a good catalyzed urethane and call it done.   Better yet, chrome it like the old schoolers did.   :yesnod:

That's what I'm concerned about with the paint I have. I bought some of that touch-up paint aerosal I have. The touch up paint that's in the little bottle is dead on, but the paint in the can isn't...
Troy

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 03, 2011, 01:47:32 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on November 03, 2011, 01:37:41 PM

That's what I'm concerned about with the paint I have. I bought some of that touch-up paint aerosal I have. The touch up paint that's in the little bottle is dead on, but the paint in the can isn't...

:Twocents:  my thoughts are to stay w/ correct paint color, a good friend owns a powder coat shop, historically of the top of my head, even if it does match by color (unlikely) it will still have that PC look when you are up on it (if you care).  PW flat black, maybe not.  drive it, repaint a needed  :Twocents: 

notabird

I guess i'm old school.Also makes it easier to pick out in a crowd of Daytonas (lol)
Brent