News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

PASSENGERS SIDE QUARTER PANEL INSTALLATION!
  In this segment I will share some pictures of the passengers side quarter panel installation. This side shows some differant views such as the trunk floor prepped and the trunk floor extension also prepped. Those are the first 2 pictures. The third picture shows the NOS passengers quarter panel installed. The last picture shows alignment and gap with the trunklid.
MJ

Mopar John

PASSENGERS SIDE QUARTER PANEL INSTALLATION PART 2!
   Here are some more pictures of the work that went on to install the passengers side quarter panel! The first picture is inside the wheelhouse looking to the rear. The second picture is of the back corner of the body showing all the alignments and gaps. The third picture is of the seam where the quarter panel meets the rocker panel. This will need to be leaded up later. The last picture in this segment is of the passengers side quarter panel to door gap. With the trunk floor and quarters installed it's starting to look like a car again! ENJOY!
MJ

1970Moparmann

Good progress John!  It will be exciting to see some paint on it.  :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Mopar John

TRUNK GUTTER AND INSIDE QUARTER DETAILS!
With the quarter panels installed it was time to weld up the trunk gutters. The trunk gutters are made up of 2 pieces on each side. One goes from the dutchman panel along the side and the other forms the the lower corner. We were able to salvage some and find the rest original from other cars! Here are some pictures showing that work and the detail inside the quarter panel areas. You can see all the seams and body lines now all coming together!
MJ

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1970Moparmann

Can't wait to see some color on the car!   John, you amaze me with the "original" parts your able to obtain over the years. :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Highbanked Hauler

Looking great man,  :2thumbs: What did you use on the inside of the NOS quarter ? Is it spray on bed liner ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Mopar John

Thanks guys for the comments! Mike I have some parts ready to take down to the shop including a very nice original console I bought from fellow Daytona owner Tony Malcein. I also have the original polished glass and some other small tid bits. I am waiting to go when it's orange again and it should be soon!
  MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on July 05, 2013, 01:47:21 PM
   Looking great man,  :2thumbs: What did you use on the inside of the NOS quarter ? Is it spray on bed liner ?
The insides of the quarter panels were sprayed with some type of body schultz before they were installed on the Superbird body.
You can scroll back and see them taped off and laying on shop racks earlier in the story. This method is easier for the guys as you don't get oversray on other areas where it's not wanted!
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

REAR CROSSMEMBER CORNERS!
  With the inside work done it was time to finish off where the rear crossmember meets the corners, floor and trunk floor extensions. This area is a nightmare of bends, joints and welds. It is often compromised on details because it's behind the bumper. The first three pictures show the work on the passengers cornerand the last picture shows the drivers side corner.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD REAR WINDOW PLUG!

With the new quarter panels installed it was time to make the body back into a Superbird again! It was time for the rear window plug! Back in the late 70's when I was getting ready to repair the Superbird myself I bought an NOS Chrysler rear window plug. I purchased it from Dave Patik who now has the PERFORMANCE CAR GRAPHICS buisness. The first picture shows the rear window plug as it looked when it was cut out for the restoration. The next 3 pictures show the back side of the window plug as it was removed. You will notice the remnants of my brazing it in.  You will also see the original factory primer still on the backside!
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD REAR WINDOW PLUG PART 2!
    The first thing they did at the shop was prep the back side for installation. The first 2 pictures show the back side prepped. The work then moved to the outside and the last 2 pictures show the outside prepped and ready! WOW!
     MJ

Hemi Runner

Great resto!! These pictures are priceless :drool5:

Mopar John

Quote from: Hemi Runner on July 15, 2013, 08:18:26 PM
Hemi Runner,
Thanks for the interest and kind comments! These replies and more private pm's and calls are what keeps me posting pictures!
The interest is not as high for the Superbird as it was for the Daytona but still a worthwhile project!
MJ

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on July 17, 2013, 12:14:04 PM
Hemi Runner,
Thanks for the interest and kind comments! These replies and more private pm's and calls are what keeps me posting pictures!
The interest is not as high for the Superbird as it was for the Daytona but still a worthwhile project!
MJ
sorry if I havent drooled enough john  although i love both cars my heart lies with the PLYMOUTH

So i'm following this one much more then the daytona  even though the daytonas were local  cars 

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD REAR WINDOW PLUG PART 3!
 Moving along with the Superbird rear window plug I start out with the special channels that are attached to the stock Road Runner rear window opening. These channels when installed allow for a recessed mount of the Superbird window plug. This in turn allows the seam to be filled in rather than a raised more difficult seam to work out! The last 3 pictures shows differant views of this special channel installed on the drivers side, passengers side and top. The bottom doesn't use the channel and is spot welded in the trunk gutter in the same area as the original dutchman panel.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD REAR WINDOW PLUG PART 4!
  With the special channels now in place it was time to weld the original window plug back in!! The first 3 pictures show the welded in plug on the drivers side, top and passengers side! The last picture shows the gap between the plug and front of the trunklid! WOW! This is one gap that I had way off and got water in the trunk every time I washed the Superbird! ENJOY!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: moparstuart on July 17, 2013, 12:19:17 PM
Hemi Runner,
MJ
sorry if I havent drooled enough john  although i love both cars my heart lies with the PLYMOUTH

So i'm following this one much more then the daytona  even though the daytonas were local  cars 

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs:
Thanks Stuart!
I thought you ran out of drool with all the neat topics coming to light on this forum!
Just a little side note here, I have bought a few real nice NOS pieces for the other local Daytona as of late! I don't know what will happen with that one?
MJ

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on July 17, 2013, 12:32:07 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 17, 2013, 12:19:17 PM
Hemi Runner,
MJ
sorry if I havent drooled enough john  although i love both cars my heart lies with the PLYMOUTH

So i'm following this one much more then the daytona  even though the daytonas were local  cars 

Thanks Stuart!
I thought you ran out of drool with all the neat topics coming to light on this forum!
Just a little side note here, I have bought a few real nice NOS pieces for the other local Daytona as of late! I don't know what will happen with that one?
MJ
you have to make one a driver ,  you need one you can drive and enjoy    :2thumbs:

69_500

John if you want a driver shouldn't you get a driver 500? I will gladly donate one to you in exchange for the other Daytona.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on July 18, 2013, 02:30:32 PM
John if you want a driver shouldn't you get a driver 500? I will gladly donate one to you in exchange for the other Daytona.

and there it is    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD REAR WINDOW PLUG PART 5!
  In this short post I have attached only 3 pictures showing the window plug welds now ground.  The first one is the passengers side top corner. The second one is across the top and the last one is the passengers side lower.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD REAR WINDOW PLUG FINAL!
  This is the last set of pictures I have on the Superbird rear window plug! With it welded in and all the welds ground it was time to spray some primer on it! I have attached 4 pictures with the first being the drivers side. The second is the passengers side. The third is a view of the top. The last one is a full view of the original plug reinstalled and for now in primer! ENJOY!
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD COWL REPAIR!
  With the back of the body done it was time to move up front! Troy had called me when the body came back from REDI-DTRIP and we went over all the areas the would need attention. He told me that there was a bad spot near the windshield seal on the passengers side of the cowl? The first picture shows that spot when it came back from REDI-STRIP. The second picture shows the bad area cut out. The third picture shows my donor cowl for metal to keep it as original as possible! The last picture shows the replacement piece welded in!
MJ