News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFMBR

This is an amazing build John, you have some truly amazing cars.

Mopar John

Quote from: AFMBR on April 04, 2015, 11:03:16 PM
This is an amazing build John, you have some truly amazing cars.
AFMBR,
Welcome to the site!
You will find whatever your interested in on this AERO car forum!
If you have enjoyed my stories GREAT! That is why I shared them!
Stay tuned for more on the Superbird restoration.
MJ

Silent-H

Rewinding to the heater box topic...sorry, getting caught up on reading this thread.  From the Survivor Superbird, please note part number stamp and black oxide finish screws on the heater box cover.  The screws might be visible to the vehicle occupant, so Chrysler may have wanted them as inconspicuous as possible.
Hope this helps.  Awesome restoration work, as always.

Mopar John

Quote from: Silent-H on April 08, 2015, 08:43:47 AM
Rewinding to the heater box topic...sorry, getting caught up on reading this thread.  From the Survivor Superbird, please note part number stamp and black oxide finish screws on the heater box cover.  The screws might be visible to the vehicle occupant, so Chrysler may have wanted them as inconspicuous as possible.
Hope this helps.  Awesome restoration work, as always.

Silent-H,
Thanks for the comments and observation on the heater box details.
I show the same part number stamp in my tear down pictures.
Also in my tear down pictures I see bright screws all over except
for black oxide on that cover!
I will add that to my to do list and change them out.
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

INTERIOR METAL TRIM PANELS!
It was now time to get the interior metal trim panels restored and painted!
First up are the rear trim panels. The first picture is a before restoration shot.
The second and third pictures are of the panels filled and sanded.
The last picture shows the passengers panel primed, sanded and ready for paint.
MJ

Mopar John

INTERIOR METAL TRIM PANELS PART 2!
We start off this batch with the drivers side rear metal trim panel primed and sanded.
I will have to wait till later to show the finished and painted panels as they are another disc.
The second and third pictures show the roof rail trim prepped for primer.
The last picture today is of the roof rail trim primed and sanded ready for paint!
Again we will have to wait for the next disc to see the painted trim. SORRY!
MJ

green69rt

For a minute I couldn't figure out what the rear upper trim panels meant, none my Charger.  But it came to mind, this is a 70 Superbird so maybe they mount inside at the top of the sides, below the quarter windows (Chargers have a padded trim panel), is that right??

Mopar John

Quote from: green69rt on April 13, 2015, 04:16:22 PM
For a minute I couldn't figure out what the rear upper trim panels meant, none my Charger.  But it came to mind, this is a 70 Superbird so maybe they mount inside at the top of the sides, below the quarter windows (Chargers have a padded trim panel), is that right??
That's correct! The metal panels mount below the quarter windows on the Superbird.
MJ

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

HEATER BOX ASSEMBLY REVISITED!
A while back in this restoration Troy hemi68charger asked if the same heater box was used in the Daytona's and Superbird's?
I did some digging and the two different part numbers 2837500 for 1969 and 2936680 for 1970 started bugging me.
I thought to myself there must be something different? So I dug out a nice 1969 heater box and a nice 1970 heater box.
After looking over all aspects of the box for a bit I also decided to get the 1969 and 1970 parts books out.
Here is what I found: All the part numbers for the listed parts that make up the assembly are the same except
for the heater cores. If you look at my attached picture you will see the 1969 box on the bottom has a heater core
with both connecting tubes 5/8"! Then look at the 1970 box at the top and one tube is 5/8" like a 1969 but the other is a 1/2"!
The other thing I noticed is that even though the blower motors have the same part number the 1969 blower motor
just has two recessed spots for the screws that hold the two sections together. In comparison the 1970 blower motor
is much busier and has six recessed spots on it. Two are in the same spots and then an additional four spots?
If anyone else has something to add that they have found is different please reply!
MJ

Mopar John

CARPET - CONSOLE AND MORE!
I'm going to try and get going on a regular basis here with our Superbird restoration!
The first picture is of the NOS dimmer switch that was installed just before the new carpet.
The second picture is of the mint bare console body. The third picture shows the console
body in the Superbird on top of the new carpet! The last picture shows the NOS gas pedal
and NOS brake pedal pad!
MJ

Mopar John

CONSOLE PART 2!
The first picture in this batch shows the auto shifter assembly before restoration.
The second picture is of the shifter disassembled. The third picture shows some
of the other parts. The last picture shows the replated console light bezels installed!
MJ

Mopar John

CONSOLE PART 3!
The first picture shows the shifter assembly now restored! The second picture shows it bolted in!
The third picture is of the shifter linkage before restoration. The last picture shows the linkage restored!
MJ

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER!
This topic is a bit out of order but there is a question about it on another post!
The first picture is of my Superbird master cylinder before restoration.
You can see where brake fluid worked it's way down the side over the years.
The second and third pictures show the master cylinder bead blasted and cleaned up.
The last picture is of the bottom cleaned up with the part number 2226821.
MJ

Mopar John

ORIGINAL REAR INTERIOR PANELS AND REAR SEAT ASH TRAYS!
I have been sorting through more than 600 pictures from the May invoice and trying to keep some sort of order to this!
So I'm going to stay with interior items for now. The first 2 pictures are of the original rear interior panels before cleaning.
Most of these have burn marks in them or a big scratch where the rear seat frame rubbed against them!
The last 2 pictures are of the rear seat ash trays before being replated!
MJ

Mopar John

REAR SEAT ASH TRAYS PART 2!!
Here we continue with the rear seat ash tray restoration. The first picture is another before plating picture.
The second picture is of the ash tray parts now replated! The third picture is a close up of the inside after plating.
The last picture in this batch is a close up of the ash tray bezel replated. ENJOY MORE SOON!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on June 12, 2015, 01:01:07 PM
                                                                          ORIGINAL REAR INTERIOR PANELS AND REAR SEAT ASH TRAYS!
I have been sorting through more than 600 pictures from the May invoice and trying to keep some sort of order to this!
So I'm going to stay with interior items for now. The first 2 pictures are of the original rear interior panels before cleaning.
Most of these have burn marks in them or a big scratch where the rear seat frame rubbed against them!
The last 2 pictures are of the rear seat ash trays before being replated!
MJ

Nice John !!!!    :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mytur Binsdirti

Mopar John

INTERIOR PLASTIC TRIM!
Moving along with the interior it was time to get all the plastic parts cleaned and painted if needed.
The first picture is of the passengers side kick panel and defrost vents.
The second picture is of the original dash pad cleaned up.
The third picture is of the inside windshield pillar covers.
The last picture is of the drivers side kick panel and bucket seat hinge covers.
MJ

Mopar John

INTERIOR PLASTIC TRIM PART 2!
Now we move on to the plastic parts for the dashboard!
The first picture is of the right side of the rallye dash.
The second picture is of the left side of the rallye dash.
The third picture is of the glove box cover. These are getting hard to find in decent shape!
The last picture is of the steering column lower cover.
Next up will be some dash wiring repairs and detailing as they get ready to assemble the dash!
STAY TUNED! MJ

Mopar John

DASH WIRE HARNESS!
I was very lucky to find an NOS rear body wire harness along with an NOS nose wire/vacuum harness.
So this meant Troy and the guys were going to have to restore the dash harness and engine harness.
This batch of pictures will give you an idea of the repairs they had to make to the dash harness.
The first picture shows orange overspray on the dash harness near the firewall connector.
I think I'm the culprit here when I pushed the connector inside the car then painted the engine compartment!
The second picture shows the same area now cleaned up and looking like new!
The third picture shows a bad blue wire that had to be removed from the harness and repaired.
The last picture shows the same blue wire repaired and back in the harness ready for tape.
MJ

Mopar John

DASH WIRE HARNESS PART 2!
Here we continue with the dash wire harness restoration.
The first picture shows the fuseblock back side after repairs.
The second picture is of the dash harness firewall connector parts restored.
The last picture shows the firewall connector assembled and ready for installation!
MJ

Mopar John

LEAF SPRINGS!
I'm jumping around a bit now as other work was going on at the same time.
This batch is of the leaf springs getting ready for restoration!
The first two pictures show the leaf springs disassembled and ready for restoration.
The third picture shows all the hardware laid out and ready for restoration.
The last picture shows the hardware restored! What a difference!
MJ

Mopar John

REAR BUMPER BRACKETS!
Here I'm showing the restoration work on the rear bumper brackets.
I sent down the best of the bumper brackets that I had.
Many are bent and rusted pretty bad 45 years later.
The first picture shows one of the brackets after it had been bead blasted.
The second picture shows the bracket after it had been sanded and primered.
The last picture shows the bracket now in black paint and ready for assembly!
MJ