News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Very nice work John. How much of this do you do yourself?

1970Moparmann

John, coming along good!  Looks awesome!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Mopar John

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 12, 2016, 09:10:54 PM
Mytur,
First off I bought this unusual car back in the mid 70's and drove it to and more recently trailered it to most of the national aero meets.
Along the way I restored it myself back around 1980 with so so results including the paint job.
This time around I hunted for as many original and NOS parts as I could and delivered them to the shop.
Also with the help of my understanding wife paid the restoration shop invoices.
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on January 12, 2016, 10:51:32 PM
Thanks mike!
The Superbird is home so if you come through for work or travel stop by for a visit and check it out.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD HEADLIGHT ACTUATOR HARDWARE!
This batch of pictures shows a couple views of the actuator hardware as removed and then after it was bead blasted and painted or plated!
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD HEADLIGHT BUCKET HARDWARE!
This batch of pictures shows the many pieces and parts that make up the Shuperbird headlight bucket hardware.
The first picture shows the hardware bead blasted.
The second picture shows the hardware painted and ready for assembly.
The last picture is of the special thin headed bolts that hold the headlight buckets to the nose cone.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD HEADLIGHT BUCKET ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION!
This batch of pictures show all the pieces and parts coming together and installed!
The first picture is of the passengers side headlight bucket assembled with the headlight actuator.
The second picture shows the drivers side headlight bucket with the actuator being installed.
The third picture shows the passengers side headlight bucket assembly installed in the nose cone.
The last picture is the same view of the drivers side headlight bucket assembly installed.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD HEADLIGHT BUCKETS FINAL!
With the many pieces and parts assembled and adjusted the headlight buckets were completed.
For those who have not done this job it's very difficult to have the headlight doors close even with
the nose and not rub the sides when opening and closing!
There is only one last picture and it shows an outside view of the headlight buckets installed in the nose!

Next up is the steering column restoration!
I have been dreading it due to all the pictures I have to sort through! Enjoy!
MJ

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Mopar John on January 13, 2016, 11:10:56 AM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 12, 2016, 09:10:54 PM
Mytur,
First off I bought this unusual car back in the mid 70's and drove it to and more recently trailered it to most of the national aero meets.
Along the way I restored it myself back around 1980 with so so results including the paint job.
This time around I hunted for as many original and NOS parts as I could and delivered them to the shop.
Also with the help of my understanding wife paid the restoration shop invoices.
MJ

John, he knows damn well about your story.  Don't need to defend yourself......  Your an awesome guy that has helped so many Mopar people with parts, knowledge, and influence - I thank you! 

I hope to spend some time with you in the future aero meets when our cars are together.   

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Mopar John on January 13, 2016, 11:12:19 AM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on January 12, 2016, 10:51:32 PM
Thanks mike!
The Superbird is home so if you come through for work or travel stop by for a visit and check it out.
MJ

John, will be sooner than later!   I appreciate the invite!   Putting the plan together now for the Bird.  The engine/trans should be out in the next few weeks.

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD STEERING COLUMN!
I have been putting this topic off for a while because of all the parts and pictures involved.
So here we go starting with the disassembly.
The first picture shows the steering column as it was removed from the wheel end.
The second picture shows the dash board support bracket.
The third picture shows the firewall plate with the smeared "10 OK" inspection stamp!
The last picture is of the column from the coupler end.

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD STEERING COLUMN PART 2!
Here we continue with the disassembly of the steering column.
The first picture shows the key area and column to dash ground strap.
The second picture shows some of the wire harness and protective trough.
The third picture is of the plastic protector and factory tape to hold it.
The last picture is of the screened area that is to collapse in a collision.
If you look close into the screen you will see a white paint daub!
I assume it's for the assembly line workers to select the correct one for the build?
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD STEERING COLUMN PART 3!
In this batch of pictures we move along with the disassembly of the steering column.
The first picture shows the horn button removed with the wood grain wheel adapter and horn switch showing.
The second picture is of the key area close up. You can see all the marks from the extra keys on the housing.
The third picture is of the steering wheel removed. You can see the turn signal and emergency flasher switches.
The last picture is a view with the wire trough removed.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD STEERING COLUMN PART 4!
In this batch of pictures we show more parts removed from the assembly!
The first picture shows the dash board support removed with the 3 plastic spacers.
The second picture shows the steering lock plate removed.
In the second picture you can also see the vintage SUN distributor machine Troy has purchased for the shop!
The third picture shows the inside area with the main shaft removed.
The last picture shows the steering lock mechanism and the back of the ignition switch.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD STEERING COLUMN PART 5!
The disassembly gets serious in this batch of pictures!
The first picture shows the column collar removed.
The second picture shows the shim/bushing that's between the collar and housing.
The third picture shows a close up of the factory inspection stamp on the firewall plate.
The last picture is of the column to firewall plate adapter removed.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD STEERING COLUMN PART 6!
I think this is going to be the last batch of pictures for now. It's all getting blurry!
The first picture shows the firewall plate to column adapter seal being removed.
The second picture shows the shift tube removed.
The third picture shows the restoration now beginning with some parts blasted and hung for paint!
The last picture is of the dash board support blasted and ready for paint also!
Stay tuned for more as the restoration continues!
MJ

rickroadrunner

MJ, please keep the photos coming. I am a little behind you in my restoration, so the time you are spending posting your photos is very much appreciated as a reference for me. What you are doing is providing a valuable resource for any of us undertaking a restoration, please don't underestimate the valuable contribution you are making to the hobby!!

Mopar John

Quote from: rickroadrunner on January 31, 2016, 05:52:11 AM
MJ, please keep the photos coming. I am a little behind you in my restoration, so the time you are spending posting your photos is very much appreciated as a reference for me. What you are doing is providing a valuable resource for any of us undertaking a restoration, please don't underestimate the valuable contribution you are making to the hobby!!
Thanks Rick!
It takes a lot of time to sort out the pictures and keep the segments flowing in order.
The guys at the restoration shop use several cameras and all the pictures are transferred to a disk.
That disk comes with the invoice for the work performed on the invoice.
Then add in my own pictures from parts and visits and it's a lot of time.
But if it helps answer some questions it's worth it!
MJ

Mopar John

STEERING COLUMN PART 7!
We'll I'm back with some more restoration pictures on the steering column!
The first picture shows the firewall plate to column adapter blasted.
The second picture shows the steering column parts painted and ready for reassembly!
The third picture shows the new firewall seal.
The last picture is of the new shift tube bushing and clip.
MJ

Mopar John

STEERING COLUMN PART 8!
Here we start to see some reassembly of the column!
The first picture is of the collar back on the housing.
The second picture is of the coupler parts ready for reassembly.
The third picture shows the shift tube inside the housing with a fresh white paint daub!
The last picture shows the firewall plate and adapter.
We did not repaint the firewall plate to save the original inspection stamp.
MJ

Mopar John

STEERING COLUMN PART 9!
Here the reassembly continues!
The first and second pictures are of the NOS lock package Mopar part number2999444.
The third picture shows the ignition switch and lock installed.
The last picture is of the turn signal switch and handle installed.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD STEERING COLUMN FINAL!
This batch of pictures are the last I have for the August invoice.
The first one shows the NOS ignition lock and keys outside view.
The second picture shows the column to gear box coupler close up.
The third picture shows the coupler end of the column.
The last picture shows the mounting hardware blasted and ready for paint!
In my next segment I will share the decal installation pictures!
On a Superbird there are a lot and they transform the car!
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD DECALS!
I think that the biggest WOW in the restoration is when the body work is done and the paint is applied!
The second biggest WOW to me on a Superbird is when all the decals are installed!
Here we start with the two small decals.
The first picture is of the NOS passengers door decal Mopar part number 3499407.
The second picture is of the NOS passengers quarter extension decal Mopar part number 2964116.
I believe I got both of these from PETTYBIRD out of the family stash years ago!
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD DECALS PART 2!
In this batch of pictures I show the NOS wing and quarter decals!
The first two pictures are of the NOS PLYMOUTH quarter decals Mopar part numbers 3571128.
The last picture is of one of the NOS SUPERBIRD wing decals Mopar part number 3571143.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD DECALS PART 3!
This batch of pictures show the installation of the PLYMOUTH quarter panel decals.
The first two pictures show the decals in place with the backing still on.
The last two pictures show the backing removed!
MJ