News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD DECALS FINAL!
I have saved the best for last!
There are only two pictures in this batch.
The first shows one of the last sets of NOS nose decals left on the planet.
They were well preserved by the Schellinger family for many years! Thanks Doug!
Mopar part numbers 3571170/1 for the headlight doors and 3571178/9 for the surrounds.
The last picture shows the NOS nose decals installed! WOW!
Notice there is no body color showing and no paint lines from painting the edges of the
headlight doors and nose!
MJ

wingcarenvy

Man John, this thing is a stunner. Both your wingcars are  :drool5: worthy. Not to mention the cars in your stable.

Mopar John

Quote from: wingcarenvy on February 07, 2016, 10:50:35 PM
Man John, this thing is a stunner. Both your wingcars are  :drool5: worthy. Not to mention the cars in your stable.
Thanks for all the compliments!
    It seems like the Superbird was just a continuation of the Daytona restoration.
Using the same shop and many of the same craftsmen and parts ended up with a similar result.
MJ

hemi68charger

Holy Cow !!!!  John, looks awesome !!!!  :2thumbs:

Yes, you are right.. There are two major, amongst others, milestones in a Superbird's resto; paint and decals !!!

Pure inspiration............ Especially now that I seem to have enough coin now to send the Superbird off to get the body work and paint done.......

Cheers,
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 08, 2016, 11:46:11 AM
Holy Cow !!!!  John, looks awesome !!!!  :2thumbs:

Yes, you are right.. There are two major, amongst others, milestones in a Superbird's resto; paint and decals !!!

Pure inspiration............ Especially now that I seem to have enough coin now to send the Superbird off to get the body work and paint done.......

Cheers,

Thanks Troy!
I noticed recently that you have found some of the odds and ends you were looking for on your Superbird project.
I also noticed that you had feelers out for trade? I hope you stick with it though!
MJ

Mopar John

The pictures of the decals were the last that were included with the August invoice.
We now move to the November invoice which was the last one before we picked up the Superbird.
The Superbird was basically restored but we were waiting for some critical parts to be restored by 3rd parties.
Two of the biggest items were the six barrel carburetors and the vacuum advance unit for the distributor.
The craftsman restoring the carbs had them almost done when he suffered a medical issue!
In the end he recovered and completed them in time.

This first batch of pictures from the November invoice may he been done earlier as I have
posted some pictures with the nose already on.
The first picture shows the nose seal bolts restored and ready.
The second picture shows the passengers side lower valance to fender seal installed.
The last picture shows the same seal installed on the drivers side along with the upper core support seal.
MJ

hemi68charger

I love the above pictures.. The forward leading edge of this Superbird fenders all look like the finishing assembly plant whacked at the fender to make the nose fit... All of them are wavy... And I thought mine were messed up...  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 16, 2016, 08:00:27 AM
I love the above pictures.. The forward leading edge of this Superbird fenders all look like the finishing assembly plant whacked at the fender to make the nose fit... All of them are wavy... And I thought mine were messed up...  :icon_smile_big:
Troy,
I agree, the front fenders look like they were in a collision!
MJ

Mopar John

BETTER TRUNK AREA PICTURES!
I have previously covered the trunk area but these pictures have better resolution!
The first picture is a nice one of the NOS trunk mat installed.
The second picture is of the spare and jack parts all installed.
The third picture shows the jack instructions installed in the same place as the originals.
The last picture is an overall of the trunk area including the weatherstrip that was removed
from the 1970 GTX race car! ENJOY!
MJ

billssuperbird

Should the spare tire have raised white letters :shruggy:

Mopar John

Quote from: billssuperbird on February 16, 2016, 07:39:29 PM
Should the spare tire have raised white letters :shruggy:
Bill,
In the trunk area pictures we are looking at the back side of the spare tire and wheel.
I think the Chrysler engineers did it this way to stow the jack base and hook inside the spare wheel.

I have been wanting to post a picture with some of the original break off grease fittings installed.
So in the attached picture you will see a couple of those and the inside of another tire with no raised white letters on the inside.
All 5 of my tires are plain black lettering on the inside and raised white letters on the outside.
Thanks! MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on February 16, 2016, 07:14:58 PM
MJ

John,
Now anyone with a proper Jack assembly? I think they are the same between a '70 Dodge and Plymouth except the hook is one number off...

T
Troy

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 20, 2016, 08:48:49 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on February 16, 2016, 07:14:58 PM
MJ

John,
Now anyone with a proper Jack assembly? I think they are the same between a '70 Dodge and Plymouth except the hook is one number off...

T
Troy,
You are correct!
The 1970 Coronet hook is stamped 2931 104    10961 and the 1970 Road Runner hook is stamped 2931 103    10961.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD HEADLIGHTS!
It was around this time in the Superbird restoration that I convinced myself that I had the wrong NOS headlights !@#$%^&*(!
Most original Superbirds had Westinghouse headlights and not GE headlights.
So I started a hunt for a set of NOS date coded Westinghouse headlights.
My first picture shows the three boxes with the headlights.
I had to make a set as you can't hardly find sets of anything any more!
Notice the wide flutes on the bulbs that went away in the early seventies.
The last picture shows the back of one of the headlights with the 5 9 or May 1969 date code.
I was able to find May-September headlights.
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD HEADLIGHTS PART 2!
Here are pictures of the NOS Westinghouse headlights and their original boxes!
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD HEADLIGHTS FINAL!
Here is a picture of the headlights ready for installation!
You will also see the nice set of headlight buckets and NOS head light retainers Mopar part number 2449525.
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on February 22, 2016, 03:34:19 PM
                                                                                  SUPERBIRD HEADLIGHTS PART 2!
Here are pictures of the NOS Westinghouse headlights and their original boxes!
MJ

VERY NICE !!!   :2thumbs:
Troy

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD 440 SIX BARREL DUAL POINT DISTRIBUTOR!
One of the last items to get back to the shop restored was the vacuum advance for the distributor.
I had looked all over for an NOS one with no luck!
We'll it finally arrived and Troy and the guys could finish the distributor!
The first picture shows the breaker plate with the NOS point sets.
The second picture is of the restored housing, shaft and most important vacuum advance unit!
The third picture is of the restored oiler for the distributor.
The last picture is of the assembled distributor with the original part number tag.
If you look close you can see the original part number2875982 on it!
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD DISTRIBUTOR CAP!
  When we had the Superbird distributor installed a fellow customer of Troy's shop told me I had the wrong distributor cap!@#$%^&*()!
He told me that the original type cap had "MADE IN USA" on it.
I have attached a picture of the commonly used wrong superceded cap on the left and the rare NOS correct cap on the right.
The part number for the NOS dual point cap is 2585000.
MJ

Mopar John

MORE NOS!
With the Superbird restoration winding down we were running out of time to add more NOS parts to the restoration.
Here are a few last minute additions to the restoration!
In my first picture I show a pair of NOS muffler hangers Mopar part number 2883914.
The second picture shows a single NOS exhaust tip hanger Mopar part number 2856265.
The third picture shows a plastic bag containing original NOS GE 1157 tail light bulbs.
The last picture shows a NOS gas pedal Mopar part number 2658704. ENJOY!
Next up will be our early October visit to see the Superbird!
MJ

Mopar John

IT WAS TIME FOR ANOTHER VISIT TO THE RESTORATION SHOP!
  It was early October now and the restoration was just about done.
The goal was to be ready for the Muscle Car And Corvette Nationals show in November.
I took the following pictures during the visit. Some will show more detail than previously posted.
The first picture is of the steering column and dash area.
The second picture is of the interior highlighting the original bucket seats, rear seat and door panels.
The last picture is of the trunk area. Notice the original trunk weatherstrip and jack instructions are not installed.
MJ

Mopar John

RESTORATION SHOP VISIT PART 2!
Here I continue on with pictures from our visit to the restoration shop!
The first picture is of the engine compartment with all the NOS and restored components!
The second picture is of a passengers side quarter panel view.
The last picture is of the same view on the drivers side.
At this point the Superbird was almost ready!
In addition to the trunk items it still needed to go to the alignment shop and a final detailing.
We knew that our Superbird would be completed as expected and in time for the November show!
MJ

Homerr

Amazing work John.  I have huge appreciation for all the work this has taken.   :2thumbs:

1970Moparmann

What an awesome thread!   Those were the pictures I was waiting for! :2thumbs:

Looks amazing! :cheers: :cheers:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemi68charger

Troy