News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingcarenvy

That is gorgeous!!!!  :2thumbs:

As a side note I notice the white "Plymouth" decals on the quarters. Is your car EK2 or EV2? Kinda hard to tell on my computer. I always thought your car was EK2 and that would have black decals or am I mistaken.

Mopar John

Quote from: Homerr on March 08, 2016, 10:47:14 AM
Amazing work John.  I have huge appreciation for all the work this has taken.   :2thumbs:
Jeff,
With all the work you do on this site I value your positive comments!
Thanks for the new Daytona registry!
MJ
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 08, 2016, 10:52:06 AM
What an awesome thread!   Those were the pictures I was waiting for! :2thumbs:

Looks amazing! :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks Mike!
Stop by and take a look some time.
MJ
Quote from: hemi68charger on March 08, 2016, 11:00:35 AM
Damn !!!!   :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:
Troy,
I hope some of the pictures will help you with the yellow bird project!
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: wingcarenvy on March 08, 2016, 04:38:56 PM
That is gorgeous!!!!  :2thumbs:

As a side note I notice the white "Plymouth" decals on the quarters. Is your car EK2 or EV2? Kinda hard to tell on my computer. I always thought your car was EK2 and that would have black decals or am I mistaken.
Thanks!
My Superbird is EK2 and had white decals from the factory.
This has come up several times and I point everyone to the back in the day photos with the original decals.
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on March 09, 2016, 09:46:44 AM
Thanks! MJ

That and any spare parts you might have to let go.. lol   

Do you know if the reproduction "P-L-Y-M-O-U-T-H" letters are any good? I was toying with that versus rechroming my originals......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 10, 2016, 01:35:30 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on March 09, 2016, 09:46:44 AM
Thanks! MJ

That and any spare parts you might have to let go.. lol   

Do you know if the reproduction "P-L-Y-M-O-U-T-H" letters are any good? I was toying with that versus rechroming my originals......
Troy,
The reproduction Plymouth letters for the tail panel are nice.
I have been buying nice original singles trying to make a set.
They have been running $19.00 to $29.00 each for NOS correct.
The problem is when they come from different sources they were not all stored the same and don't exactly match up
next to each other when installed!
MJ
P.S. I will have to send you a list of left overs!

Mopar John

THE SUPERBIRD RESTORATION IS DONE!!!!
I got a call in early November that the finishing touches and alignment were done and the Superbird was ready to be picked up!
While we were waiting for this day to come we got the new trailer ready for it's first load the freshly restored Superbird.
Linda and I left early that day and got to Troy Angelly's shop just after lunch.
The Superbird was outside and ready! It was a sight to see as we approached the shop.
Troy told us that locals would stop and check it out when ever it was outside!
Here are some pictures from that historic day.
The first picture is of our new tow vehicle and trailer ready for the first load!
The second picture is a view of the front.
The third picture is a view of the drivers side.
The last picture is a view of the passengers side.
The Superbird looked great and we were pleased with our second restoration from this shop!
Up next was the MCACN show later that month.
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on March 11, 2016, 01:04:10 PM
P.S. I will have to send you a list of left overs!

Thanks a bunch...... Seems at the rate I'm going, we could be potentially parked next to each other at the next Aero Meet...  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: Mopar John on March 11, 2016, 01:12:58 PM
                                                                       THE SUPERBIRD RESTORATION IS DONE!!!!

Holy Moly!!!! That sucker looks awesome !!!!   :2thumbs:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS!

Mopar John

DID I SAY THE RESTORATION IS DONE?
We'll to be honest when you go to this level there never done!
Your always out looking for that rare part that will make it a little bit better.
I had made a short list of items that if I found a nice NOS replacement I would swap out.
One of those items was the wood grain knob for the automatic console shifter.
I had a couple of what I thought were nice used ones and used the best one.
I also had bought an NOS black shift button Mopar part number 2950715 and NOS spring Mopar part number 2950716.
Just before the MCACN show I spotted an NOS assembly line wood grain shift knob and bought it!
The Mopar part number for the wood grain shift knob is 2950713.
The first picture shows a side view of the NOS knob next to what I thought was a nice used one!
The last picture shows a top view and the nice chrome on the NOS knob.
The NOS knob arrived in time for me to swap it out before the show!
I still have a short list of items that I would like to replace or upgrade.
MJ

Mopar John

RETIREMENT!
After working for 50 years starting with part time jobs on weekends and after school I retired yesterday with 26 years from the steel mill!
426 Linda and I have a lot planned and can't wait to get started! More on the Superbird soon!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on March 22, 2016, 01:42:18 PM
                                                                     RETIREMENT!
After working for 50 years starting with part time jobs on weekends and after school I retired yesterday with 26 years from the steel mill!
426 Linda and I have a lot planned and can't wait to get started! More on the Superbird soon!
MJ

Congrad's JOHN !!!!!

Quite the achievement for the two of you..  :2thumbs:
Troy

billssuperbird

1970Moparmann

Congrats John!   Make sure you enjoy the Superbird - it is a beautiful car!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Mopar John

Thanks for the kind thoughts!

Bill you should have a detailed plan in place by now if your only 4 years out!
I hope it happens for you!
MJ

green69rt

Quote from: Mopar John on March 23, 2016, 06:00:08 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts!

Bill you should have a detailed plan in place by now if your only 4 years out!
I hope it happens for you!
MJ

Planning for retirement is not that hard if you start early.  The financial stuff is pretty straight forward, but only you can say when you have enough.  Now for the hard part.

Go to work Friday, check out, wake up Monday and find you have nothing to do is not the way to start a retirement.

Mopar John

NOVEMBER 2014 MUSCLE CAR AND CORVETTE NATIONALS!
The MCACN show was the first one for our restored Superbird! We had more confidence this time around than we did with our Daytona.
We had a better time frame for getting the car done and parts were easier to find for the Superbird.
The Superbird was invited by Bob Ashton to be part of his "color my world" display!
The first picture shows the sign at the show for this group of cars.
The second picture is of the row of cars from our end of the display.
The green HEMI Daytona first in line is the former Jim Radke Daytona.
The third picture is of the sign board we had made with info on the Superbird.
The last picture in this batch is of the matching orange guitar placed by the Superbird.
We ended up buying that guitar and Linda has taken some lessons on how to play it!
MJ

hemi68charger

Very cool John... Something else in common......... I bought my first Fender Stratocaster a few months ago and having fun learning how to play it........... But, mine isn't color-keyed to my Superbird..
Troy

Mopar John

2014 MCACN SHOW PART 2 LINDA'S TURN!!
At the MCACN show like most shows Linda spends more time with the car on display than I do!
I wonder off to check out other cars and the swap meets while she stays with the car.
At the MCACN show they recognize the women of the hobby!
If the car on display has a womans name on the title she is eligible for an award.
The first picture shows Linda at the back of the Superbird watching over things.
The second picture is a business card from Tamra Perto who was the representative for MK insurance.
On Saturday of the show Tamra studied the ladies of the show and decided to award Linda the MK insurance "MOPAR" award!!
The third picture shows the certificate for the award placed on the Superbird's latch tray.
The last picture shows Tamra presenting Linda with the award! Linda is wearing her event shirt from the Cleveland wing car meet!
What a GREAT start to the weekend!
MJ

Mopar John

2014 MCACN SHOW PART 3!
Her are some more pictures from the display floor.
The first picture shows Linda standing by the passengers side of the Superbird this time wearing her 40th Aero Warrior reunion shirt from Talladega!
She was still very happy from winning the Lady Mopar award earlier in the weekend!
The second picture is of the Superbird on display.
The last picture is a close up of the front of the Superbird.
MJ

Mopar John

2014 MCACN SHOW PART 4 JUDGING RESULTS!
It was now Sunday afternoon and it was time for the car show judging awards!
All the cars at this show are hand picked and of the highest quality around.
The first picture shows me receiving the Concours Gold award from Vicki Ashton for the Superbird!
The second picture is a picture of the Concours Gold award.
In addition each class receives a Platinum for best of class and an Emerald for class runner up.
The Superbird scored very well and also received the Plymouth Emerald award!
We were beat out by just one or two points by a HEMI Superbird for best of class Platinum.
The third picture shows the Emerald Plymouth award!
The last picture is of Troy and Eli Angelly standing by the back of the Superbird with the awards displayed on the wing!
Thanks Troy and Eli and your shop for the fine restoration!
MJ

Mopar John

2014 MCACN SHOW FINAL!
This reply only has one picture with it.
It shows Linda and I at the back of our Superbird with the 3 awards up on the wing!
Left to right is the "LADY MOPAR" award then the "EMERALD PLYMOUTH" award and last the "CONCOURS GOLD" award!
We couldn't have asked for any better result from this high level show.
I would like to thank Linda for the time and support of my hobby!
MJ
P.S. Next up will be the work being done to get ready for Chryslers at Carlisle 2016!

Mytur Binsdirti

birdsandbees

GREAT stuff John!!

A question, maybe it's the light, but I though the engine and the air cleaner top plate were the same colour. Just getting ready to do mine and would like to clarify if the air cleaner plate is indeed a darker orange? THANKS!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487