News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct carb for a superbird?

Started by Hoser2455, June 30, 2011, 07:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoser2455

Hello, I'm new to the forum here and have just saved hopefully enough money to restore my Superbird.  It is a 440 car with a four speed.  The carburetor that was on the car's #s are 4966S  below that was the numbers 2909 with a big 31 on it.  Under the Carter Carburetor site it said this # was used on high performance 440's for the years 69 through 71.  Is this the correct carburetor for a Superbird.  Thanks,  Hoser2455.

hemigeno

I don't have near as much info on '70+ as I do 1969, but the carb number you referenced doesn't appear to be used in 1970 at all.  The '70-1 parts book says it was used on 1971 C-bodies and Imperials, on 440 automatic cars.

The information you posted sounds like it came from a triangle-shaped metal tag rather than stamped on the base of the carburetor - is that correct?  The 2909 sounds like a date code, and since that carb wasn't introduced until 1971 it probably means that particular carburetor was manufactured in 1979 on the 290th day.  The large "31" indicates the factory assembly line part number of 3512831.

Assuming your car wasn't coded for N95 (Evaporative Emissions Package), you should be looking for a 4737S AVS carburetor.  If there's a similar triangle-shaped tag on any such carb you find, it would have a large number "53" stamped on the tag instead of 31.

62 Max

Correct 4spd carb is 4737S.They are not cheap and hard to find.Be prepared to spend upwards of $900 for a restored with original solenoid and bracket.This is the Last one I sold, went for $950 and I could have sold it a half dozen times.I have another about finished,PM me if interested.

oldcarnut

Quote from: 62 Max on June 30, 2011, 08:30:40 PM
Correct 4spd carb is 4737S.They are not cheap and hard to find.Be prepared to spend upwards of $900 for a restored with original solenoid and bracket.This is the Last one I sold, went for $950 and I could have sold it a half dozen times.I have another about finished,PM me if interested.

Woweee,  I got 4 or 5 Carters sitting in the back garage I should go look at to check numbers.  I'll vouch for Bill doing a nice job on the carbs  :yesnod:

Arnie Cunningham

The correct 4737S factory carburetor will DRAMATICALLY improve your car's mileage, power and drive-ability.  Assuming the rest of the engine is bone stock and in good working order.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.